PPL Written

ripnet

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ripnet
My written is scheduled on Friday. I have been studying and getting high 90s on the practice exams.

For those that have recently taken the exam, are the questions the same as the practice ones? I'm not really concerned (I know the material), but would be nice to know going in.

It's pretty much speculation right now, but I suspect that most of the questions are the same or similar. You can expect changed questions due to changes in the Knowledge Test Supplement in the Sectional Chart snippets and the VOR indicator figure. Those are definite changes. Also, expect more on risk management. My guess is that knowing the IMSAFE, PAVE, and DECIDE models might be useful.

My written is scheduled on Friday. I have been studying and getting high 90s on the practice exams.

For those that have recently taken the exam, are the questions the same as the practice ones? I'm not really concerned (I know the material), but would be nice to know going in.
Yes. I tool mine the week after the new questions came out, and used the ASA and Sporty's app to study. I got 4 wrong, so 93%.

It seems that the FAA wants to be sure that you question yourself when you get caught driving drunk, like how long you have, and which place to report it. It seems like everyone that has taken in has had questions on that.

Here's my advice I gave my ground school-mates (wall of text warning):
1. Stay calm. You know this stuff.
2. Give yourself 30 extra minutes to get there.
3. Do the test twice. I changed 4 answers, and only 1 from right to wrong, so I was up 3. 2 of them were calculation errors, and the last one (The cumulus mamma cloud one) I thought about and thought, “hey, if it’s a mamma cloud, it must be bad”, so I changed it from light turbulence to heavy. The one I got wrong (that I changed) was the glider towing one. I changed it from 100 hours to 200. Doing the test twice also gives you confidence. I had 11 questions that I was concerned about, and missed 4. I knew that I would still pass with 11 wrong, and that was a confidence builder.
4. If you have a condition that needs to be addressed, let them know. Being diabetic, I took my blood checker and glucose tablets with me. I didn’t need them, but it was more of a security (I don’t have to worry about these now…) thing, and it kept my mind clear.
5. Watch the online videos that are out there. I liked the weather ones, just because I could apply it now.
6. If you have a kid between 8 and 17, have them do an EAA Young Eagles flight, if they’re interested in aviation. What they will get is the Sporty’s lessons for free. There’s nothing that says you cannot watch them with your kid, as they learn to fly as well. They are excellent videos.
7. Deleted. It was about the 4 styles of learning
8. Appendix 1 of the supplement: I got 3 answers from reading/knowing that.
9. Answer the easy ones first. Nothing like taking the pressure off when you’re in a test and you have 40 of them answered correctly, and you have 2 hours left to answer 20 questions. When I answered the easy ones, there was one that I spent 15 minutes on, just to realize I was looking at the wrong airport. It was asking about an obstruction NE of Airpark East (it’s figure 25 in the old book, with Majors airport on the picture) and I kept looking for an obstruction NE of Bishop Airport. I let that one go, and answered the rest and came back to it. After opening the book again to look at the picture, it made sense. The airport name is above the airport, and there was the obstruction.
10. One last sneaky thing I did: Use the VOR compass roses on the maps for double checking your magnetic courses.

Taking my written here in the next two weeks. A bit worried as I'm a horrible test taker but have been studying my brains out.

All due respect, but either you know the material, or you don't. Bad test taker with multiple choice?

If you've been studying, I'm sure you'll do fine.

What's that?
The part that has the definitions. It's on pp. 1-19 of this (which you get a copy of when you take the test) http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

Taking my written here in the next two weeks. A bit worried as I'm a horrible test taker but have been studying my brains out.
I understand... Some people (like my son and I) are awesome test takers, but some of us are bad at homework. A good thing to know is your learning style, and there are 4 (that was #7 that I deleted, but I'll post here), and play to that while studying.:
7. There are 4 principle ways (most learn 2 of these ways) that people learn, and these ideas will supplement Oscar’s teachings:
a. Kinesthetic – Get a flight simulator and practice the things that you learn on Tuesday/Thursday. Also, do flight plans, because you’ll have to know the CTAF frequencies and what altitude you need to be at. Also, on that flight plan, you’ll have to know what your ground speed is as well, and how to do the Sectional and Terminal maps. Doing a flight plan for simulators is an excellent way to learn many different facets of flying.
http://www.elseyworld.com/good-stuff/vfrflightplanner (it works with Mac and PC versions of Excel)
b. Visual – With #6 above, you can watch the Sporty’s videos with your kid. Also, there are the MZeroA videos, tons of Youtube ones, and it’s out there.
c. Audio – Do 7b above, and just listen.
d. Read/Writers – You can combine each of the above, including taking notes on the videos, and reading the Jeppesen book. It is really an excellent book; I just wish the videos were more modern (side note: That video with the landmarks and the lake where the road makes an abrupt left, I used to drive that road every night on the way home from work when I lived in Windsor, Colorado)
One other thing: Go to the testing center and look at the room. The odds are there will be a computer from 1995 there, and then do the practice exams on a computer in a similar environment. Turn the TV off, have the family go to the movies, and have just you and the computer, the test book, your E6B (electronic or mechanical - I preferred the mechanical one, because the batteries don't fail on it), 3 sheets of blank paper, and a pencil/pen. The "doing the test twice" tip I gave is good, because sometimes there are answers that refer back to other questions in the test (in a referential sort of way, like What is the ATIS frequency of Omaha Airport? and another question on the test will be something like, At noon, you are approaching Omaha from the west, what frequency do you use to contact the tower? (and the ATIS frequency is not there in the answers, so you can double check ).

Who have you guys been using for study materials?
I used the ASA blue book, Prepware on my iPhone ($10), and the Sporty's Study Buddy ($10). Using them on an iPad is much better, and if you buy it for your iPhone, the iPad one can be installed there as well for nothing extra. If I had to pick two, I'd use the ASA blue book ( http://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2017-Private-Pilot-P3493C22.aspx ) ($20), and Sporty's Study Buddy

The part that has the definitions. It's on pp. 1-19 of this (which you get a copy of when you take the test) http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

I understand... Some people (like my son and I) are awesome test takers, but some of us are bad at homework. A good thing to know is your learning style, and there are 4 (that was #7 that I deleted, but I'll post here), and play to that while studying.:
7. There are 4 principle ways (most learn 2 of these ways) that people learn, and these ideas will supplement Oscar’s teachings:
a. Kinesthetic – Get a flight simulator and practice the things that you learn on Tuesday/Thursday. Also, do flight plans, because you’ll have to know the CTAF frequencies and what altitude you need to be at. Also, on that flight plan, you’ll have to know what your ground speed is as well, and how to do the Sectional and Terminal maps. Doing a flight plan for simulators is an excellent way to learn many different facets of flying.
http://www.elseyworld.com/good-stuff/vfrflightplanner (it works with Mac and PC versions of Excel)
b. Visual – With #6 above, you can watch the Sporty’s videos with your kid. Also, there are the MZeroA videos, tons of Youtube ones, and it’s out there.
c. Audio – Do 7b above, and just listen.
d. Read/Writers – You can combine each of the above, including taking notes on the videos, and reading the Jeppesen book. It is really an excellent book; I just wish the videos were more modern (side note: That video with the landmarks and the lake where the road makes an abrupt left, I used to drive that road every night on the way home from work when I lived in Windsor, Colorado)
One other thing: Go to the testing center and look at the room. The odds are there will be a computer from 1995 there, and then do the practice exams on a computer in a similar environment. Turn the TV off, have the family go to the movies, and have just you and the computer, the test book, your E6B (electronic or mechanical - I preferred the mechanical one, because the batteries don't fail on it), 3 sheets of blank paper, and a pencil/pen. The "doing the test twice" tip I gave is good, because sometimes there are answers that refer back to other questions in the test (in a referential sort of way, like What is the ATIS frequency of Omaha Airport? and another question on the test will be something like, At noon, you are approaching Omaha from the west, what frequency do you use to contact the tower? (and the ATIS frequency is not there in the answers, so you can double check ).

I used the ASA blue book, Prepware on my iPhone ($10), and the Sporty's Study Buddy ($10). Using them on an iPad is much better, and if you buy it for your iPhone, the iPad one can be installed there as well for nothing extra. If I had to pick two, I'd use the ASA blue book ( http://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2017-Private-Pilot-P3493C22.aspx ) ($20), and Sporty's Study Buddy
Thanks!

My guess is that knowing the IMSAFE, PAVE, and DECIDE models might be useful.

Took my PPL written a year and a half ago, and my IR written a few months ago. When I prepared for them, I decided to skip over all the IMSAFE PAVE and DECIDE "models" for obvious reasons. Never had a single question on either exam about those. If they were to pop up, I'm sure common sense will get you through them.

"Gee golly, the right wing just fell off, now what was that DECIDE model again?"

I would say 85% of the questions will be identical to the ones you studied, a handful will be different, some slightly re-worded, a couple meant to trick you, and 1 or 2 that no matter how long you stare at them make absolutely zero sense. If you feel confident about answering most of the practice questions correctly, you will have no problem on the actual exam. Good Luck!

Remember any of them?
3 were scenarios. I didn't see them on my practice questions, but I checked and they are online. Here's one:

You have planned a cross-country flight on a warm spring morning. Your course includes a mountain pass, which is at 11,500 feet MSL. The service ceiling of your airpalne is 14,000 feet MSL. After checking the local weather report, you are able to calculate the density altitude of the mountain pass as 14,800 feet MSL. Which of the following is the correct action to take?

The other ones were the same types of questions, like W&B, but with different numbers and answers... just to make sure you knew the material I suppose.

I finished in 45 minutes, so I went through the entire test again to double check my work. One of the ones I got wrong was related to when accidents and incidents need to be reported. I don't really care. If I'm ever involved, I'll be sure to look it up.

I finished in 45 minutes, so I went through the entire test again to double check my work. One of the ones I got wrong was related to when accidents and incidents need to be reported. I don't really care. If I'm ever involved, I'll be sure to look it up.

Yeah, the "what is the 3rd word on 14 CFR 93.532" questions are silly.

what is the actual FAA book in which the test questions are taken from?

I have the Airplane Flying handbook but which book is the one that I need to study for the written?

thanks.

what is the actual FAA book in which the test questions are taken from?

I have the Airplane Flying handbook but which book is the one that I need to study for the written?

There are several: Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook, Risk Management Handbook, Aviation Weather, and the FAR/AIM primarily. A complete list is in the Private Pilot ACS.

Good job!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I posted in the Student Pilot thread but figured I'd give an update here as well.

I scored a 93%.

It's not much different from any of the practice exams I took. Mainly changed the numbers or some other detail to make sure you actually new how to do the math or solve the problem.

As long as you aren't memorizing answers and actually know the material you'll pass easily.

Back