Nogales KOLS - nonprecision approach with high terrain nearby

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I as a curiosity, I looked ar KOLS, which is located just a few miles from the Mexican border, mountains, and restricted airspace. Two questions about its only approach, VOR-DME or GPS.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1608/06151VDGB.PDF

1. Is it common for approaches to have a leg, near the IAF, that's below a mountain top only about six miles away?

2. On the missed approach, besides climbing, what do you do upon arriving at the VOR, when there is no hold specified?

VFR pilot here, so no answers, but that airport can have some squirrelly turbulence when the wind comes across those foothills.

I as a curiosity, I looked ar KOLS, which is located just a few miles from the Mexican border, mountains, and restricted airspace. Two questions about its only approach, VOR-DME or GPS.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1608/06151VDGB.PDF

1. Is it common for approaches to have a leg, near the IAF, that's below a mountain top only about six miles away?

2. On the missed approach, besides climbing, what do you do upon arriving at the VOR, when there is no hold specified?

1. It is where there's mountains or airports in valleys - but since most of the airports in the US are in non-mountainous terrain, no, it's not common.

2. Barring instructions from ATC, I'd do a standard hold at the VOR on the 316 radial.

It isn't below the peak 6 miles away. At ARVEY, you'll be arriving at 10,000 because that's the MEA on that segment of V395. You can descend to 9000 after passing it, unless ATC holds you higher.

The airway is only 4 miles center to edge, so what's 6 miles away doesn't matter anyway. Yes, approaches can get uncomfortably close to terrain among the big rocks.

The missed terminates at OLS, so the right thing to do is hold there at 10,000. But in reality, you'll hear from ATC well before you get there.

I

The airway is only 4 miles center to edge, so what's 6 miles away doesn't matter anyway.
6 miles, actually. A 4 mile primary and a 2 mile secondary.

That's unusual that there is no "and hold" in the missed approach procedure. And there is no MISSED APCH FIX picture on the chart. Both of these things are common on most charts. And there is not one of those "Procedure NA for arrivals at aaaaa via V### aaaabound" that you see on a lot of charts. You'd expect to see that with arrivals at ARVEY via V395 northbound. I think this is one of those approaches that just hasn't been paid much attention to in a few years and hasn't been updated to all the "new stuff."

That's unusual that there is no "and hold" in the missed approach procedure. And there is no MISSED APCH FIX picture on the chart. Both of these things are common on most charts. And there is not one of those "Procedure NA for arrivals at aaaaa via V### aaaabound" that you see on a lot of charts. You'd expect to see that with arrivals at ARVEY via V395 northbound. I think this is one of those approaches that just hasn't been paid much attention to in a few years and hasn't been updated to all the "new stuff."

The missed approach fix is the OLS VOR, which is in the plan view. As to the hold, it is not the only procedure in the NAS without a hold (check KCRQ ILS Rwy 24). When there are airspace restraint a hold won't be published. In the case of Nogales it is the proximity to Mexico and the constraints imposed by terrain. The procedure had its last full amendment in 2005, before they did those airway restriction notes. But, if you are coming up from Mexico and KOLS is your destination, ATC would send you first to the holding pattern at ARVEY (which is depicted on the en route chart and which as a 12,000 MHA).

Perhaps someday an offset LP approach to Runway 21 would work. I suspect the airport owner hasn't put any pressure on the FAA. I've been there; it's a nice airport.

Back