Flying In the Jumpseat... Can I?

the captain only has final say to say no, if the person does not have the FAR qualifications to be on the jump seat it will be the last captain decision he makes.

bob

the captain only has final say to say no, if the person does not have the FAR qualifications to be on the jump seat it will be the last captain decision he makes.

bob

Not quite I understand where you're going with this statement. Sounds like you're saying if a JS rider DOES NOT have the qualifications to be on the JS, and the Captain denies that JS rider, then you're saying that's the last decision that Captain will make? Like he will be fired?

Are you aware of CASS and a particular company's flight ops manual? Did you fly for an airline and have experience with the JS procedure? Thanks.

no i am saying that if a captain allows a JS to somebody that he/she knows is NOT qualified he/she will be in deep kimchee. a captain can say no to anybody. i don't recommend it, but they can do it. ive been a 121 pilot for 18 years.

bob

It really depends on what airplane you are in.
A CJ200 or an Airbus?? Two different worlds.

Or is it an RJ200 ?? Can never keep that straight.

I'll take a 757 for $200 Alex. I've JS in a 757, 320 and E145. 320 was no picnic, E145 was hell, 757 was awesome. I'm sure others are better, but from my perspective the 757 beat the snot out of coach. FAs were stellar all around.

The captain does not always have final say.

§121.548 Aviation safety inspector's credentials: Admission to pilot's compartment.
Whenever, in performing the duties of conducting an inspection, an inspector of the Federal Aviation Administration presents form FAA 110A, “Aviation Safety Inspector's Credential,” to the pilot in command of an aircraft operated by a certificate holder, the inspector must be given free and uninterrupted access to the pilot's compartment of that aircraft.

§121.548 Aviation safety inspector's credentials: Admission to pilot's compartment.
Whenever, in performing the duties of conducting an inspection, an inspector of the Federal Aviation Administration presents form FAA 110A, “Aviation Safety Inspector's Credential,” to the pilot in command of an aircraft operated by a certificate holder, the inspector must be given free and uninterrupted access to the pilot's compartment of that aircraft.
Unless the captain feels it will compromise safety.

Or find a Part 91 airliner. I got to fly jumpseat in a 747 that way.

The captain in question was a German guy. Cool as hell. I got to go to one of his parties with his Vietnamese pilot friends. He actually hired naked hookers for the party.

FAA? Yeah unless the JS is deferred because the minimum O2 is too low, or weight and balance. Some Captains can get pretty creative. That's what I heard anyway. :D

Sure if the jump seat is deferred for a legitimate reason then the ASI cannot occupy it but that really isn't the captain having final say, is it? The captain has nothing to do with how the MEL or anything else is written. He simply follows the rules.

I can't use my PIC authority to allow someone that isn't approved. There are also a few groups of people that I can't restrict unless I use my emergency authority, and that'd be a hard sell on the ground. ;)

So yeah, my authority as PIC isn't limitless. But my manual *does* allow me to restrict access at my discretion to anyone that doesn't fall into the above mentioned groups.

Nothing to do with company ops manual.

The hell it isn't. Where do you think that you'll find the reciprocal agreements, prioritizing riders eg: SS vs dispatcher and ATC on FAM flights? There's no way that the OP will get on another carrier's J/S but there may be some wiggle room on his own carrier. I've seen cutouts in ops manuals allowing certain management types cockpit access, and this was after 9/11.

The hell it isn't. Where do you think that you'll find the reciprocal agreements, prioritizing riders eg: SS vs dispatcher and ATC on FAM flights? There's no way that the OP will get on another carrier's J/S but there may be some wiggle room on his own carrier. I've seen cutouts in ops manuals allowing certain management types cockpit access, and this was after 9/11.
Nice job taking a excerpt and spinning it the way that suits you.

Have you ever seen a reciprocal jump seat list in an ops manual?? I would be highly surprised if It's in an ops manual. Usually that's a list put together by a jump seat committee, not company management.

I'll lave the other points for when I have more time for response.

Back