Halo/Clarity Aloft Headsets

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
I'm looking into getting one of these. I wear glasses. It looks like that may be a problem. Anyone use one of theses that wears glasses, particularly wire rims? How does it feel? What goes on first?

I have no issues with the Clarity Aloft and sunglasses. I usually have be sunglasses on first.

Love my Halo's....wear glasses...no problem with that combination...glasses on first...the Halo's just rest LIGHTLY above the ears.

Flying with headclamps is much worse when wearing glasses. Like going commando, it feels like nothing is there. I've got a couple Halos. I dread the day I have to wear clamps again.

Halos on first, then glasses.

I'm looking into getting one of these. I wear glasses. It looks like that may be a problem. Anyone use one of theses that wears glasses, particularly wire rims? How does it feel? What goes on first?
I use Clarity Aloft and wear glasses. Never noticed an issue. I always put the headset on while already wearing glasses. It is a great headset.

My glasses are wire rims. I also use the military style Randolph sunglasses. Never noticed a difference between the two. The headset is so light that it doesn't create a problem overlapping. I mostly use my CA with a leather helmet over it when flying the biplane, but also use it in the Twin Beech.

No problem with Halos and either my glasses or sunglasses.

The difference between the two: Clarity puts the speaker in you ear (I hate earbuds, they hurt!), while Halo puts the speaker behind your head and carries the sound through earplugs (it comes with foamies and silicone; I love the silicone ones).

¡No problemo!

Only problem with Halos is you can't buy one just any day. They always seem to be on back order and they won't even take another order. It may be August before you can order a set.

Both are excellent and a big step up from traditional earmuff headsets IMO. Much clearer audio quality, massively more comfortable on long flights and probably quieter than various ANR models I've tried.

Slightly off-topic: I looked at the websites for both the Clarity and the Halo and one of Halo's claims seems odd.
The HALO comes with the widest variety of replaceable foam ear tips. The open-cell foam allows pressure equalization between the eardrum and the cockpit even with drastic and rapid changes in altitude - somthing that rubber eartips and custom earmolds cannot do.
The last time I looked, pressure equalization is via the eustacian tube, going from the middle ear to the nasopharynx. The outer ear (where ear tips and earmolds reside) is not involved.

Interesting....I guess a pressure differential could, indeed, occur between cabin pressure and the external ear canal IF the earplug tip does occlude sufficiently. Never experienced it w Halos (or while wearing earplugs motorcycling - less elevation change there of course)

Only problem with Halos is you can't buy one just any day. They always seem to be on back order and they won't even take another order. It may be August before you can order a set.

This is very true. I think they make them in batches, sell them first to those on the waiting list, then if there are any left, they activate the site to sell the rest. I e-mailed the owner about a month ago to see if he thought I would be able to get a set before Oshkosh. He said 3-4 weeks and he put me on the waiting list. The 4 weeks is now up and I leave for Oshkosh in 10 days, so we'll see what happens. I really hope I get a set in time.

Phil, QT's principal, is a PhD otologist as I recall...so some good physiology likely behind his marketing

I just used my Halo for 3 hours yesterday....

WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN ALL MY LIFE. Excellent noise reduction. Crystal clear audio. I had the window open and vents full open in the cockpit and Approach/Tower all had no issues hearing me, so I can only assume that the mic is decent quality as well. Comfortable as all get out even wearing them over my ears. No interference with my sunglasses... no headache from having a clamp on my head.

They are amazing.

As far as ordering... he puts you on a waiting list when you email him. Then he starts putting together headsets. Then, when he's assembled a bunch, he sends you an email if you're on the wait list, telling you to go to the website and place your order when they're in stock. He generally doesn't publicize their availability until the people on the waitlist have the opportunity to buy theirs.

Once you purchase yours, you can expect it in the mail 4-5 days later. Or at least I did. Which to me suggests he makes them first, then sells them... instead of just opening orders and making you wait 6 weeks while he assembles them. I'd love for my case to have been a tiny bit bigger as I find I have to squish them in there a bit, but I'm very happy thus far. The volume box feels a little chintzy, but I've heard nothing but good things about the longevity of the product, so I'm not worried about it.

Last edited:
I have three headsets. I figure most of you have at least that many.

I get in the mood to buy the Halo and boom can't. You will not find them on Ebay, they aren't for sell. I will buy a set one day.. promise.

I have three headsets. I figure most of you have at least that many.

I get in the mood to buy the Halo and boom can't. You will not find them on Ebay, they aren't for sell. I will buy a set one day.. promise.

Get on the wait list and STAY in the mood to purchase. You'll get an email. And you won't regret it.

This is very true. I think they make them in batches, sell them first to those on the waiting list, then if there are any left, they activate the site to sell the rest. I e-mailed the owner about a month ago to see if he thought I would be able to get a set before Oshkosh. He said 3-4 weeks and he put me on the waiting list. The 4 weeks is now up and I leave for Oshkosh in 10 days, so we'll see what happens. I really hope I get a set in time.

Tough it out with whatever you are using currently on the outbound trip and stop by their boot at OSH and buy it there. That's what I did. They are a good product, but not for everybody. I went back to my DCs for most flights, and the Halo ends up getting used by passengers (generally rookee fliers) that really can't stand an over the ear headset. I sometimes use the Halo on long legs on a cross country and the one thing that stands out is the audio clarity in the voice range (talking to ATC) is better than any other headset I have ever tried, including those v. expensive Bose things.

Somewhere there is a picture of @Hank S and myself, both using Halos and both wearing glasses.
ETA: found it, monkey race thread post #740

Last edited:
CA's for me... I do take off my sunglasses, put on my headset, and then put my sunglasses back on.

Much more comfortable than over-ear headset pushing the stem of sunglasses into my skull.

I have a set of Halos and absolutely love them.

Interestingly, I saw a new headset that looks similar advertised in this month's AOPA magazine. www.flyfaro.com . I know nothing other than seeing the ad. They do look more sturdy than the Halos and show a list price of $389.

Interestingly, I saw a new headset that looks similar advertised in this month's AOPA magazine. www.flyfaro.com . I know nothing other than seeing the ad. They do look more sturdy than the Halos and show a list price of $389.
I have nothing to add, just wanted to say War Eagle!

They look like Halos, with a big, huge electrical box on the left side, and padded earbuds. Halo speakers are in the back, nothing goes inside your ear except your choice of earplug with a silicone sound tube. Like a cross between Halos and Clarity, but with a clarity earbud.

Did I mention that earbuds cause me discomfort, followed by pain if I don't take them out? I love my Halos! And they are not fragile at all, I've ripped mine off my head several times by getting out of the plane without removing them, and bush hogged along the runway with my Halos plugged into my handheld radio.

Funny, I've never tried to exit the plane with DCs clamped on . . .

CA's for me... I do take off my sunglasses, put on my headset, and then put my sunglasses back on.

Much more comfortable than over-ear headset pushing the stem of sunglasses into my skull.

That's my concern, them putting pressure on the glasses. It doesn't take much for the wires to start "diggin" in to the top of the ear. That, and will the Mic stay in place in front of the mouth when the headset is "pivoting" around on the wire which doesnt have much friction.

That's my concern, them putting pressure on the glasses. It doesn't take much for the wires to start "diggin" in to the top of the ear. That, and will the Mic stay in place in front of the mouth when the headset is "pivoting" around on the wire which doesnt have much friction.

They do not have clamping pressure so you won't have a problem. The person you quoted was referring to the clamping on typical headsets causing pain, not the Halo/Clarity Aloft type

The mic stays in place just fine for me. There are plenty of acrobatic pilots that have no problems either.

They do not have clamping pressure so you won't have a problem. The person you quoted was referring to the clamping on typical headsets causing pain, not the Halo/Clarity Aloft type

The mic stays in place just fine for me. There are plenty of acrobatic pilots that have no problems either.

Ah. Got it. It's not the clamping pressure I'm wondering about, that of course would be gone with a Clarity/Halo. It's the weight (just a little tiny bit, I know) resting on top of the wire temple piece and putting pressure on the "top" of the ear I worry about. It doesnt take much with a wire temple piece to get uncomfortable. The ones I have are the wrap around the back of the ear "hook" type temple pieces. I'm hoping to get a PIREP from someone with those type of glasses and uses a Clarity or Halo.

Ah. Got it. It's not the clamping pressure I'm wondering about, that of course would be gone with a Clarity/Halo. It's the weight (just a little tiny bit, I know) resting on top of the wire temple piece and putting pressure on the "top" of the ear I worry about. It doesnt take much with a wire temple piece to get uncomfortable. The ones I have are the wrap around the back of the ear "hook" type temple pieces. I'm hoping to get a PIREP from someone with those type of glasses and uses a Clarity or Halo.

Gotcha.

I can't specifically say for type of earpiece you wear but I do wear sunglasses every flight without even a hint of discomfort.

Also, if you did have an issue you would be able to sell them at cost pretty quick. A lot of people are willing to buy them at full price to avoid waiting for QT to get them in stock.

They really are amazing, weigh next to nothing great noise attenuation, excellent mic, and cheap. Love mine and will never go back to clamp type headsets.

All the glowing recommendations above - just do it! Get in line for your QT Halos - you will not be disappointed.

Put a normal pair of sunglasses on backwards over your hook type glasses and you'd be simulating wearing the halo for the most part. There is also the option to wear the halo around your neck with the mic flipped up from below, but I haven't tried that as the normal method is comfy for me with glasses.

Also, I would add if you can't ever get the shopping cart to work on his web site, email or call him and get queued up that way.

Like I posted earlier. I put the headset (CA) right over my wire rim glasses and never noticed any discomfort. Mike stays in place just fine as well.

Did I mention that earbuds cause me discomfort, followed by pain if I don't take them out?
Clarity Aloft are not earbuds. They are really just foam ear plugs with the speaker inside the foam. Nothing at all like earbuds you use to listen to music on a iPhone, which do cause me pain with prolonged use.

I preflight and board with either my wire frame glasses or thick plastic framed sunglasses on. Then I put my Halos right on top with no problem.

When climbing through a layer into sunshine, I remove glasses and add sunglasses without thought, interference or special procedures; I do the reverse entering IMC or at sunset. When I wear my summer wide brim hat, there IS a special procedure since thw Halos wont go over the hat--I pass them behind my neck.

The wire rests on the back of my neck, it doesn't twist away. The padded mic stays right in front of my mouth.¡No problemo con los Halos!

Back