Current Database and Obstacles for checkride?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have a current Jeppesen navigation database in my 530W but the obstacle and terrain databases come from Garmin. Are those required to be current for my checkride and any real-world IFR?

Mine weren't for my instrument checkride. Nor for a couple of IPC's. When the 530w booted up I pointed out to the examiner the out of date terrain database and explained that it is only advisory and not required. He listened and let me continue with my start-up checklist.

While the PTS states, "GPS equipment must be instrument flight rules (IFR) certified and contain the current database," I see nothing requiring a current terrain database.

Your AFM Supplement or other documentation should be controlling.

Unless you're DPE is a real *******, no. Most people don't update those databases because terrain doesn't change much and obstacle info can be found with other sources.

Mine was not current when i did my ride. Same as other poster i made the note that it is advisory he said ok lets go.

NO

You're fine, our work planes don't even update those, ofcourse or nav data is ALWAYS updated, but the terrian is not.

NO

You're fine, our work planes don't even update those, ofcourse or nav data is ALWAYS updated, but the terrian is not.
Maybe...can you prove its not required?

Just because "we do it all the time" doesn't necessarily mean it's legal.

Maybe...can you prove its not required?

Just because "we do it all the time" doesn't necessarily mean it's legal.

I'm not going to dig through our GOM, OPSPEC, AFM, etc for this.

We have full time employees who do nothing but certificate compliance, I'm pretty sure we're good.

So bust out his POH supplement, and prove that it IS required.

5 bucks and a beer say for IFR ops it's just the nav data that's going to be a factor.

So bust out his POH supplement, and prove that it IS required.

5 bucks and a beer say for IFR ops it's just the nav data that's going to be a factor.
I'm not saying it IS required...but if an applicant said "it's just advisory, we don't need it," I would expect them to be able to show me that was indeed the case. I certainly wouldn't accept a statement like "everybody on POA said I was good to go," which appears to be what you're advocating.

Nav is required to be current. That is all.

I had my IFR checkride last week and pointed this info out to my DPE and he didn't blink an eye.

Don't say the terrain and obstacles are not required. On a recent IPC, I pointed out on startup that the Nav database was current. The CFI said "good" and we moved on.

Don't say the terrain and obstacles are not required. On a recent IPC, I pointed out on startup that the Nav database was current. The CFI said "good" and we moved on.

Not saying they aren't required....I insinuated they are not required to be current for legal IFR, whereas nav data is.

...and we all know that operating based on insinuation, ignorance, or heresay is far superior to operating on fact.

Last edited:
...and we all know that operating based on insinuation, ignorance, or here say is far superior to operating on fact.

Indeed.

So where does it say that I am required to keep that database updated.

If it doesn't say it's illegal, it's legal.

Ah...you're having trouble finding where I told you that because I haven't...maybe you're not as ignorant as you encourage others to be.

So you're in agreement with me

No, I'm not...I don't encourage others to operate based on ignorance, insinuation, or heresay.

Please explain to me how what I said was "ignorant".

Please explain how it's illegal to operate with a out of date terrian database.

Ok, ignorant, so please educate me, answer the above questions

AIM 1-1-19 and AC90-100. They both reference NAVIGATION databases. Not once is terrain or obstruction databases mentioned.

An IFR GPS is not required to HAVE obstruction or terrain databases. It has to have the ability to specify all navaids, waypoints, and coded routes relevant to the destination and alternate, and that data must be current. That's it.

Show me the Supplement or other data on the system, specifically the page that would have the limitation if it existed.

All of the dick-measuring and snarky BS aside..

Is the answer that the Navigation data MUST be current and the Terrain and Obstacle data is optional?

The NAV database must be current. Terrain and Obstacle are probably optional, but your Supplement would tell you for sure.

All of the dick-measuring and snarky BS aside..

Is the answer that the Navigation data MUST be current and the Terrain and Obstacle data is optional?

YES

The NAV database must be current. Terrain and Obstacle are probably optional, but your Supplement would tell you for sure.

Would ya look at that.... dude tuckered himself out and gave in ;)

This is true for the purposes of an IFR checkride (the ACS says so), but not necessarily for other purposes. You can fly IFR, using the GPS, without a current database.

This is true for the purposes of an IFR checkride (the ACS says so), but not necessarily for other purposes. You can fly IFR, using the GPS, without a current database.
Sure you can use it but if you want to use it for navigation, the database has to be current.

Sure you can use it but if you want to use it for navigation, the database has to be current.

That's generally not accurate. Most AFM supplements (actually, every one I've ever looked at), and at least those for the Garmin units, permit you to use the GPS for IFR en-route operations with an expired database so long as you otherwise verify the accuracy of the waypoints you are using (in theory, check the lat/longs against a current chart, which nobody does because they don't often move). A truly current database is only required for approaches.

I assumed we were still discussing the OP. ;)

Back