Medical reform is passed out of House

How does this affect someone who is on Adderall or something like that for ADD, and has a drivers license that has not gone for their 3rd class?

I'm worried this whole medical reform might end up being a "careful what you wish for" kind of thing.

I mean my 3rd class cost me $75, was with a dr. that loves aviation, and is a pilot herself.

If I have to go to a regular dr. my deductible is $2000, so I'm going to end up paying way more for the visit, plus I have no idea if my dr. would even sign me off.

Won't your AME still be a doctor? Couldn't you still go to her for the new sign-off?

I'm worried this whole medical reform might end up being a "careful what you wish for" kind of thing.

I mean my 3rd class cost me $75, was with a dr. that loves aviation, and is a pilot herself.

If I have to go to a regular dr. my deductible is $2000, so I'm going to end up paying way more for the visit, plus I have no idea if my dr. would even sign me off.

Annual physicals are supposed to be free under the ACA

How does this affect someone who is on Adderall or something like that for ADD, and has a drivers license that has not gone for their 3rd class?

"Yes, and how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind"

Cheers

Does everyone else read it this way? Assuming it's passed and signed as is, if your medical expires in next 6 months, your choices are 1) go ahead and get one last 3rd class medical (and then you're good for 4 years), 2) ground yourself until the online course and checklist are done, or 3) go light sport until the online course and check list are done. Agree?

Interesting that the under-40 crowd goes from every 5 years to every 4 years like everybody else.

Good question if you have a current 3rd class (mine was in Feb.) Is this good for 4 years assuming you take the online course when available?
Why do I have a feeling the online course might be onerous? Hopefully just like a wings class 15-20 mins.

If they haven't gone for their 3rd class, they're in the same boat as anyone who hasn't held a 3rd class in the last 10 years - they have to get one first, and since they're dx'd with ADD, they are screwed. :(

(Well, unless they first go through the multi-$1000 process to disabuse the dx.)

If they haven't gone for their 3rd class, they're in the same boat as anyone who hasn't held a 3rd class in the last 10 years - they have to get one first, and since they're dx'd with ADD, they are screwed. :(

(Well, unless they first go through the multi-$1000 process to disabuse the dx.)

Don't over complicate the process. I did it in two visits, plus a drug test. It cost me less than $1,000. ($600, plus $25 for the drug test.) Use the search function. Put ADHD in the search field and put my screen name in the member field. I listed the doctor & everything. Not a big deal.

I know of people working at big companies who's family deductible is $8k.

The office visit cost is a drop in the bucket compared to needing additional services.

Don't over complicate the process. I did it in two visits, plus a drug test. It cost me less than $1,000. ($600, plus $25 for the drug test.) Use the search function. Put ADHD in the search field and put my screen name in the member field. I listed the doctor & everything. Not a big deal.
I'm glad to hear it worked out for you and that the cost wasn't too onerous. :thumbsup:

I was just repeating what I had read posted by others. I suspect the actual cost is going to vary widely. In any case, my point was that an ADD dx is just as much of a hurdle under the new rules, if you don't already hold a 3rd class medical (or held one in the last 10 years).

So if I go in for a physical with my regular PCP who has never stuck any digits into any of my orifices, I will now need to request he do that?
And how does one politely ask for a "finger up my a**"? :D

I might end up going back to my AME and enjoy chatting with him about airplanes and flying. Our family doc is fun but rushes people out because he has more patients to deal with besides me.

Hoping that AOPA will use my money for a good cause and create an easy-to-understand guide on what this reform means to us humans.

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you and that the cost wasn't too onerous. :thumbsup:

I was just repeating what I had read posted by others. I suspect the actual cost is going to vary widely. In any case, my point was that an ADD dx is just as much of a hurdle under the new rules, if you don't already hold a 3rd class medical (or held one in the last 10 years).
I think the difference is supposed to be, you only have to jump through the hoops once vs every renewal. ??

Anyone have a line in what this means for those with Sleep Apnea and Kidney Stones?

Am I about to be able to fly again finally ?

You could of gotten a Special Issuance with sleep apnea and adherence to the CPAP. I know this because I have. The problem you now have is whether your family physician will fill out the special form that you keep in your logbook, knowing you have sleep apnea, and are not using CPAP. Also, it is a known disqualifying condition (per FAA) and without using treatment and having a way to CYA yourself that you are using CPAP, you may be busting an FAA regulation that would make your insurance null and void, if found out.

When I went to my doc, the first thing she said to me was that I'd have to stop masturbating. Why's that, sez I. "Because I'm trying to examine you!!!"
giphy.gif

I'm going to have to dig out my logbook at the house and look at when my medical expired... Its going to be close. Otherwise I will just undergo the SI process once for treated sleep apnea (it will be a sure thing, just dont want to hassle with it).

Mine expires in October. If what passes doesn't allow for a simple family doctors visit, filling out a form to keep in the logbook, and annotation by me of the visit, because the FAA has a year or whatever to implement, then I will visit my SA Dr., have him read the CPAP one more time and submit to my AME to obtain my 3rd class medical one more time. Hopefully, the last time.

Mine expires in October. If what passes doesn't allow for a simple family doctors visit, filling out a form to keep in the logbook, and annotation by me of the visit, because the FAA has a year or whatever to implement, then I will visit my SA Dr., have him read the CPAP one more time and submit to my AME to obtain my 3rd class medical one more time. Hopefully, the last time.

If you have a current medical and SI you are fine, you don't need another one. You just need to have a valid medical in the last 10 years.

Except I am due in October for my 3rd class not SI. My SI is good to 2021. I am hoping to not have to even visit the AME for the 3rd class, but that depends on whether the rule kicks in before the FAA implements. So far no one has addressed that except AOPA saying we may have to wait until the FAA implements, so to be safe, will probably visit the AME for the 3rd class one last time, I hope.

...........But the 10-year reachback that will allow many pilots to fly without needing another FAA medical exam will take effect when the bill is signed by the president.

Didnt see an complete answer to the question of what does this mean?
As i read it, as soon as the bill is signed into law, the 10 year thing goes into effect right away.
Meaning if you hold a valid Class 3,,,you are done getting medicals as we know it. Could that be the case?

The new FAA requirements they will change are for NEW applicants. is this correct?

Side note: Inspectors will know about this. During a check if you are flying on an expired class 3,,,say in 3 months (and new regs still not in place) do you think they will still enforce class 3 vigoursly?

My class 3 is in good shape for over a year, just curious.

...........But the 10-year reachback that will allow many pilots to fly without needing another FAA medical exam will take effect when the bill is signed by the president.

As i read it, as soon as the bill is signed into law, the 10 year thing goes into effect right away.
Meaning if you hold a valid Class 3,,,you are done getting medicals as we know it. Could that be the case?

The new FAA requirements they will change are for NEW applicants. is this correct?

Side note: Inspectors will know about this. During a check if you are flying on an expired class 3,,,say in 3 months (and new regs still not in place) do you think they will still enforce class 3 vigoursly?

My class 3 is in good shape for over a year, just curious.
Here is the act, as passed... at reconciliation, it may change, but...
SEC. 2602. Medical certification of certain small aircraft pilots.
(a) In general.—Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall issue or revise regulations to ensure that an individual may operate as pilot in command of a covered aircraft if—

(1) the individual possesses a valid driver's license issued by a State, territory, or possession of the United States and complies with all medical requirements or restrictions associated with that license;

(2) the individual holds a medical certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration on the date of enactment of this Act, held such a certificate at any point during the 10-year period preceding such date of enactment, or obtains such a certificate after such date of enactment;

What Section 2602.a.2 means is that if you have a driver's license and comply with the medical requirements of having it (.1) and if you had a class 3 medical certificate now, within the last 10 years of enactment (if it's signed into law (enacted) on 7/15/16, that means after 7/15/06), or if you get one in the future, you've got a class 3 medical as long as you do the rest of Section 2602.a

For your second question, if, after a year, the FAA hasn't made the codes match the law, they you're off the hook, but if you fly without a valid medical 3 months after the law is signed, and the codes aren't in effect, you're flying at risk:
2602.i:
(i) Prohibition on enforcement actions.—Beginning on the date that is 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator may not take an enforcement action for not holding a valid third-class medical certificate against a pilot of a covered aircraft for a flight, through a good faith effort, if the pilot and the flight meet the applicable requirements under subsection (a), except paragraph (5) of that subsection, unless the Administrator has published final regulations in the Federal Register under that subsection.
Source:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th...6/text#toc-id995631b01fb944e7a598028b4e7597e8

Thanks. Time to get excited sounds like!

Hadn't heard they had tacked this onto the temporary extension. That basically means it's a done deal. The Senate has already, with massive support, passed a long term FAA bill with this same PBOR 2 in it. There is no real opposition to it in the Senate so there's no real chance it'll get stripped out or anything.

Contrary to popular pontificating about this "never happening," there's been very little real push back to the PBOR 2 or 3rd class reform. It's passed in numerous House and Senate bills that later died for unrelated reasons. It'd of already been done if it wasn't for the House push to privatize ATC holding up the FAA bill.

Now that it's part of the temporary extension bill it is basically 100% certain to pass.

I'm curious what a certain AME who vehemently opposed this, proclaimed it would never happen, and wasn't very nice to people who wanted it thinks about all this now?

Last edited:
There's opposition HR636 because the Senate has ALREADY PASSED IT, it was only back in the House so they could approve the three amendments the Senate made to the bill. It's up to the President now.

You could of gotten a Special Issuance with sleep apnea and adherence to the CPAP. I know this because I have. The problem you now have is whether your family physician will fill out the special form that you keep in your logbook, knowing you have sleep apnea, and are not using CPAP. Also, it is a known disqualifying condition (per FAA) and without using treatment and having a way to CYA yourself that you are using CPAP, you may be busting an FAA regulation that would make your insurance null and void, if found out.
I use a CPAP and have been through the sleep study.

Unrelated reasons kept me from getting my medical renewed.

I think the difference is supposed to be, you only have to jump through the hoops once vs every renewal. ??
That particular hoop has always been a once-only deal anyway, since you're disproving the diagnosis and therefore never had the condition. AFAIK you don't suddenly come down with ADHD, it's a lifelong thing; so, once disabused, you never have to jump through that hoop again.

Here's a possible issue I haven't heard anyone mention. Suppose it's 2022 and you've been flying for years now with conditions that are not disqualifying under the new rules but required an SI under the 3rd class standards - e.g., IBS or (cured) prostate cancer, or even Hodgkin's (again, treated). One day you have a heart attack. Now the rules say you need to run on the treadmill (I think they will want it to be a nuclear study but I could be wrong on that) and meet the standards for a CAD SI. What about those other conditions? Do you have to jump through the hoops to satisfy the FAA on all the other conditions again to get your SI, or only for CAD? Remember, as of today that is what you'd have to do. Will it be different under the new rules? They seem to imply that you only need the one SI, but to my reading there's some ambiguity there, since you're once again submitting to FAA standards to get the SI.

Here is the act, as passed... at reconciliation, it may change, but...
SEC. 2602. Medical certification of certain small aircraft pilots.
(a) In general.—Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall issue or revise regulations to ensure that an individual may operate as pilot in command of a covered aircraft if—

(1) the individual possesses a valid driver's license issued by a State, territory, or possession of the United States and complies with all medical requirements or restrictions associated with that license;

(2) the individual holds a medical certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration on the date of enactment of this Act, held such a certificate at any point during the 10-year period preceding such date of enactment, or obtains such a certificate after such date of enactment;

What Section 2602.a.2 means is that if you have a driver's license and comply with the medical requirements of having it (.1) and if you had a class 3 medical certificate now, within the last 10 years of enactment (if it's signed into law (enacted) on 7/15/16, that means after 7/15/06), or if you get one in the future, you've got a class 3 medical as long as you do the rest of Section 2602.a

For your second question, if, after a year, the FAA hasn't made the codes match the law, they you're off the hook, but if you fly without a valid medical 3 months after the law is signed, and the codes aren't in effect, you're flying at risk:
2602.i:
(i) Prohibition on enforcement actions.—Beginning on the date that is 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator may not take an enforcement action for not holding a valid third-class medical certificate against a pilot of a covered aircraft for a flight, through a good faith effort, if the pilot and the flight meet the applicable requirements under subsection (a), except paragraph (5) of that subsection, unless the Administrator has published final regulations in the Federal Register under that subsection.
Source:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th...6/text#toc-id995631b01fb944e7a598028b4e7597e8

I don't think we are cleared to act per the new regulations. The FAA has 180 days to "revise regulations". That means until they are revised, the regulations are the current ones. Now after 180 days, to bad for the FAA, we are cleared hot. At least that is the way I am reading it.

I'm curious what a certain AME who vehemently opposed this, proclaimed it would never happen, and wasn't very nice to people who wanted it thinks about all this now?
If you mean Bruce, he's said on the Red Board that he's "cautiously optimistic". I don't think he opposed *this*, rather he thought the straight DL medical was DOA and he was against pushing for it as this would likely result in getting no reform at all. PBOR2 in its final form pretty much proves he was correct; luckily, AOPA and Inhofe wisely compromised and as a result, it seems extremely likely that this will become law.

I think Bruce is right that some caution is still warranted. After all, it's not a done deal until POTUS signs it.

No. It means that if you held a valid 3rd class medical (including an SI) sometime since July 15, 2006 then you WILL BE eligible to fly under the exemption once the new rules go into effect.

(Or July 14, or 13, whatever day Obama signs the bill... assuming he does (sigh).)

There's opposition HR636 because the Senate has ALREADY PASSED IT, it was only back in the House so they could approve the three amendments the Senate made to the bill. It's up to the President now.

Far from the expert, but I haven't read that this is accurate. The Senate approved it, the House approved with Amendments, and now the Senate has to approve as amended. Expected Tomorrow I believe. Then to the POTUS for signature by the 15th.

Last edited:
I don't think we are cleared to act per the new regulations. The FAA has 180 days to "revise regulations". That means until they are revised, the regulations are the current ones. Now after 180 days, to bad for the FAA, we are cleared hot. At least that is the way I am reading it.

FAA has 180 days to produce the regulations. There is no consequence for them not hitting that deadline.

BUT - if no regulations after a year, the FAA can't take enforcement action against you if you were operating in good faith compliance with this law.

From 180 days to 365 days, they can take enforcement action.

@buckeyes7

Section 3-IV..... that's where the anus talk comes from. apparently we all get to have a visit from Dr. longfinger :(

They added that to make sure everyone feels their pain for having to submit to the reform.:confused:

That particular hoop has always been a once-only deal anyway, since you're disproving the diagnosis and therefore never had the condition. AFAIK you don't suddenly come down with ADHD, it's a lifelong thing; so, once disabused, you never have to jump through that hoop again.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that you only have to get an SI under the new medical reform rules if you develop the specific medical conditions listed in the bill, cardio, neurological, and mental health conditions. Does that mean a person with ADD/ADHD can pass the one time medical since ADD/ADHD is not listed as a specific condition needing an SI?

Back