Fatal plane crash in Buena Vista, CO on 7/4/2016

Sad, we have had too many of these lately.

That's pronounced BYOONA VISTA there (I formerly lived in WEST-MIN-IS-STER, Colorado).

That's pronounced BYOONA VISTA there (I formerly lived in WEST-MIN-IS-STER, Colorado).

Both are fading as pronunciations. Too many transplants. Westminster is way dead, Buena Vista is a toss up.

My grandparents used to pronounce Pueblo, Pee-eb-low. Haha.

The locals are keeping Zuni alive as zoon-eye, though. Don't hear too much zoo-nee yet. :)

Here in WA there's a private airport WA97 called Buena. It's pronounced (Bew-ee-nuh) here.

In Georgia there's a town called Cairo. Locals pronounce it "Kay-ro", not Ky-ro".

Here in OK there's a Miami - but it's pronounced "Mi-am-uh."

No other place I've lived beats Utah for pronunciation: Tooele - Too-EL-uh, Hurricane - Hurr-EH-cun,

No other place I've lived beats Utah for pronunciation: Tooele - Too-EL-uh, Hurricane - Hurr-EH-cun,
I've heard it pronounced "hurr-uh-cun" (no emphasis on any syllable ... well, maybe slight emphasis on the first ...)

Cairo, IL is also pronounced KAY-roh
Pierre, SD is pronounced PEER

I've heard it pronounced "hurr-uh-cun" (no emphasis on any syllable ... well, maybe slight emphasis on the first ...)

Cairo, IL is also pronounced KAY-roh
Pierre, SD is pronounced PEER
Then there's New Prague, MN, pronounced PRAYG. It's like they decided the correct pronunciation was too pleasing to the ears so they chose the sound that their accent makes the most grating and went with that instead.

Pueblo, CO, is the one we should all be agreeing on. According to this station and the Ad Council, it's pronounced PWEB-low.

it was his seawind, not his racing cassutt.

bob
Can you link to a source for this? That's more information than I found on any news article so far. The early reports all used the word "experimental" in a way that conjured up visions of some redneck strapping a boat motor and cardboard wing to a motorcycle, so it would be nice to learn more about the actual plane involved.

The FAA page has been updated. Seawind N46EB. I got the info from a friend of his race team. I have not gotten any more information than that.

Bob

Versailles, MO

Pronounced just like it's spelt.

We're idiots here.

Versailles, MO

We're idiots here.
In muh-ZUH-ruh? Say it ain't so. Up here we just have a bunch of small streams of water that make literate people's necks hurt. Probably an average of 5 Beaver Cricks alone per county.

Versailles, MO

We're idiots here.

Spent part of a summer in that town. Drove there from California, I knew the name, but until we reached the city limits sign didn't know the spelling.

Talk about a derailed thread.

I met him a few times when my brother raced IF1.. Very sad.

A couple of Nebraska gems: Norfolk )Johnny Carson's hometown) is pronounced "Nor-fork"...originally the north fork of the elkhorn river...the USPO assigned "Norfolk"...whatever, and Hooper is pronounced "hupper"...no idea on the story there.

Wow, there is someone else who has been to Hooper/hupper!

Here in OK there's a Miami - but it's pronounced "Mi-am-uh."
Miamuh is home to a Heisman trophy winner. Probably it's only claim to fame.

Back