Enterprise Car Rental Policy Change

I'll take uber any day over renting when I can.

Did you want insurance?
did you want no insurance insurance?
are you sure?
we can insure your your opinion about paying for insurance, would you likethat?
do you want us to fill it up?
do you want us to not fill it up?
do you want us to not fill it up then lie to you about it?

NO I WANT MY M@#$%@# RENTAL CAR

I never have that problem. My preferences are stored with the respective rental car companies. With both Hertz and Avis it is actually rare that I talk to anyone at the counter.

Bought a Toyota Yaris from Hertz 3 years ago for my daughter. Still runs great, zero maintenance issues.

If you reach Executive Elite status with National they will deliver a car to any FBO within 50 miles of one of their locations for no charge (delivery fee, not rental fee).

That is why I hate Enterprise as well and am a die hard National fan. They do not fill up vehicles if they are under 1/4 tank...thus leaving you having to fill up right off the lot and/or guess how much fuel you used when you return. Same ownership but much different operations.

Enterprise and National are co-owned. In a number of cities, they share cars. When I rented via National (as exec/elite and corporate rate) at Dayton/Wright Bros. National delivered me an Enterprise car. Through the local Enterprise branch. Who tried to claim I hadn't returned it, but relented when faxed a copy of the agreement with the FBO's notation of my return date and time.

I do like National, but when it get bounced to Enterprise it's always a pain in the rear.

With our FBO we notate the date and time the vehicle is back...and that is what enterprise relies upon for charges. May be worth asking if yours can do same?
I tried this but it didn't work. The FBO employee just stated that their only job is to make sure I signed on the highlighted portions of the contract. He essentially just threw his hands up. It all gets reimbursed but I still don't like wasting $$ like that. I wasn't really happy about being left with 5/8's tank when I picked the car up either. This just marks another below average experience with a car rental company.

Local Enterprise office checks their security camera to see when you put the car on their lot. Yet to get overcharged.

You're brave buying a rental car!

If I did not have a compassion for mechanical things, there are some companies whose cars I'd love to scream around in - 6000rpm, skidding turns, flying over curbs....alas I cannot bring myself to do it.

If I did not have a compassion for mechanical things, there are some companies whose cars I'd love to scream around in - 6000rpm, skidding turns, flying over curbs....alas I cannot bring myself to do it.
If you purchase the damage waiver from enterprise you're not responsible for any damage. Go nuts

If you purchase the damage waiver from enterprise you're not responsible for any damage. Go nuts
I don't think that deals with his "compassion for mechanical things."

I don't think that deals with his "compassion for mechanical things."
We all have a part of us that enjoys to break stuff. Just have to channel that for a day.

I'm sure the intent is hold one harmless for accidental damage. Damaging someone else's property through intentional careless and reckless behavior shows a major character flaw.
Never said it wasn't wrong. Just stating that you could do it. Morals aside.

They get a commission off the sale, and so it is in their interest to charge as much as they can, and in the case of Enterprise or Dollar, often those charges are fraudulent and not at all what was depicted on the original contract.

Whenever you see a company consistently and willfully awful at customer service, usually their compensation system is set up to put the employees' needs/desires counter to the customers'. Almost always in fact.

If you pay your staff to screw your customer and probably even have internal competitive competitions to see who wins even more money for being on top of the add-on fee pile... You get the rental car biz. And a bunch of others.

Local Enterprise office checks their security camera to see when you put the car on their lot. Yet to get overcharged.
The overcharge happened to me when I walked into the agent and handed him the keys to the car. There was no doubt as to when the car was returned other than an intentional and systematic tacking on a few extra days. This was at a car dealership that had an Enterprise counter. I suspect their subterfuge usually gets lost as the bill for most of the rentals there goes to the insurer.

I spend four to five months a year in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I rent a car pretty regularly from Enterprise in Condado. They come and pick me up at my condo in Old San Juan and take me to their office in Condado. Most often I rent them for a day, sometimes three days, and occasionally longer. I've never had a problem with them. Once a month or so they send me an offer to rent a compact for a four day weekend for $19.95 a day. I usually jump on that and take a road trip somewhere.

Uber is not without faults, surge pricing can be crazy!! My wife was in Chicago last week and makes the identical trips everyday. The prices were over double on some days!
Wait five or ten minutes and the surge pricing is usually gone.

Even with surge pricing Uber is still cheaper than a taxi.

As for buying an ex rental, that can be a roll of the dice. You have no idea how it was treated, and trust me I've seen some very mistreated rentals.

I travel about twice a month. I use Enterprise for no other reason that I have status with them. No issues to report, I show up and walk out the lot, find my car, or pick a different one, drive to the exit and hand my drivers license. Thats it. Returning takes longer as I have to wait for a guy to check me in, but not longer than 10 minutes. I always check the receipt to make sure they dont sneak in a fuel charge, but so far they havent. Each time the charge is the exact amount they quoted me when I reserved the car weeks prior.

I will switch off of them if they do start screwing around. I am not that loyal.

This is at larger airports ,I dont have much experience with smaller GA places.

I travel mostly to Austin, so no Uber or Lfyt.

Hilarious! I am on the phone with J at SAT Enterprise. Rented for 20 hours yesterday out of Skyplace (great FBO).
Called Skyplace to ensure the car went back on time. They called and it did.
(They did a good job.)
No way in the world do I assume that is adequate anymore. Called the local Enterprise number on the rental agreement, no answer rings forever. Ah! But Skyplace has a backdoor phone number. Called and asked the total, all-up price. First it was $24.99.
I am honest. Told him it didn't sound right (agreement says $35/day). OK, they will work it up again. Ah, $111.65. Excuse me, that does not compute either. Finally get it down to $58 I guess that is close enough to what is expected with taxes and airport fees. Sheesh, what a company.

BTW... Since AOPA seems to have some sort of relationship with Enterprise et al, I wonder if part of their deal could be to waive these charges when the location is an airport.

I've haven't had these problems but being a corporate customer has it's perks. Hmmm, doesn't AOPA have special rates, i wonder if using their discount code would eliminate this?

My recollection is that Enterprise's GA rates were often not the best rates they'd offer at any given location. At some airports, they are the only game. At other locations, like a Class C or even D with carrier service, their retail rates were lower than their GA rates. Plus, Enterprise website put a cookie on your browser, which if you ever searched for the GA rates, the browser would remember that and show you GA rates at all locations, even if there were other lower rates available.

Back