Pilot training on hold

Ramprat75

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Delta75
Hello everyone,
I have put my training on hold and was wondering once I start back up again will I have to start all over again? I was at 30 hours of flight time. Also is it possible to get the written out of the way before I return to my flight training? Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

Afaik your hours stay with you and would count towards your minimum requirements, but you will have to become reacquainted with flying and that of course would take time.
The written is good for 2 years so as long as you plan on finishing in that time frame then go ahead and get it out of the way.

You won't ever lose your hours but when you start up again depending upon how long it's been your CFI will certainly want to revisit some of the skills and maneuvers that you already did to make sure you are safe. As Kobren88 said your written is good for 2 years.

How long are you planning to lay off?

While you can take your written now (and it will last for a couple of years), that might not be the wisest approach. If you wait to do the written until a week or two before you start back, the knowledge will be fresh when you start flying. If you take it now but don't go near a plane for 18 months, you'll probably forget everything you studied.

Hi Ramprat.

If I were in your shoes, I would take the written when you decide it is time to start back up. Your hours stay with you as others have said. Your skills will erode, though, since you gained your hours just starting out. Someone with a lot of experience can lay off a while and it comes back pretty quickly.

Here's hoping you are able to start back up very soon! Good luck!

Hello everyone,
I have put my training on hold and was wondering once I start back up again will I have to start all over again? I was at 30 hours of flight time. Also is it possible to get the written out of the way before I return to my flight training? Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you
depends. the length of the layoff will determine where you need to start up. I had a 30-year layoff. all of my hours "counted" but for practicality sakes I started fresh. I was a bit surprised at how much I had retained after 30-years. as for the written, if I recall correctly you have 24-mos from the time you pass the written to take your check ride. if I'm right and your layoff is going to be lengthy it might make sense to hold off on the written. if your layoff is going to be just a few months then I'd say to get it out of the way now.

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I stopped flying this past February and I'm thinking when I start back up again it might be around January and would like to go full time and finish what I started.

Back