Motion Sickness

antigravity16

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
antigravity16
So, my daughter wants to learn to fly, probably, due to my being a general aviation enthusiast (I soloed once or twice but never got my PPL). I want to encourage her but she experiences motion sickness, which I don't. She gets air sick in commercial aircraft, as well as general aviation aircraft. Does this mean that it is best that she forgets about any aviation dreams, or is motion sickness something that can potentially go away with training?

I guess she is OK with that but I wonder if it'd be worth the effort. I hear that some go through with training and the problem goes away. But never actually talked to anyone who overcame it!

I had to deal with motion sickness in my training. The key is to find the threshold of what you can handle and don't cross it. Early on in my lessons I could only handle a half hour of flying time. At that point I was queasy and ready for it to be over. As soon as I started to feel it we'd head back to the airport and land. Eventually the half hour became an hour which became two hours, etc. Just do not push it to the point where you get sick in the plane. That will set you back. The Relief Band was a huge help for me also.

OK this sounds encouraging. I think we'll need to find a CFI who'll be on board with letting her build up the time she can be out there flying. Not sure what the average CFI attitude is towards the issue.

Fly early in the morning or late afternoon. Avoid the hot midday temps. Make sure you have some food in your stomach and are properly hydrated. Also take ginger pills, or anything with ginger really, before a flight. All my CFI's never thought it was an issue, students getting sick isn't a that rare. I cut a few lessons short because felt like I was going to lose it. My flight school had bags in the planes just in case.

When your inner ear disagrees with what your eyes see = motion sickness.

If you look at a motionless instrument panel while the plane maneuvers or bounces in the air, the conflict between the two senses produces motion sickness.

Eventually, the brain will train itself to reconcile the conflict.

I never had a problem on a commercial flight but at first during training I would start to feel lousy. I probably made it 30 minutes on my first flight.

The first few flights my instructor would check with me and make sure I was feeling okay. When I told him I wasn't feeling great we headed back to the airport and ended the lesson. Any instructor that does not have this sort of patience should not be training anybody. When you start feeling lousy you are no longer able to focus and learn so there is no reason to continue the lesson.

I think the problem was gone by the third or fourth lesson. I haven't flown in a small airplane in several years. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if some of the motion sickness returned for my first and second flight back int he cockpit.

In summary, I would treat it as a non issue until it has proven to be a problem long term...just plan on a short flights for the first few lessons.

I have met multiple people who overcame motion sickeness

I am highly susceptible to motion sickness... I can't do ANY carnival rides PERIOD! But I've been flying in small GA airplanes most of my life and rarely feel sick... My secret (and I know I'll get some pushback on this) I make sure I've eaten a light meal, I'm well hydrated and.... I eat 5 gingersnaps if I'm going to be doing anything other than Straight and Level flying... It really works for me... Might be completely placebo... but I'm only fooling myself, and I don't mind...

Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions. I am glad to hear this is not something to discourage her over. Next step is to find a CFI or a flight school. She is still quite a few years from being able to get PPL (agewise) but I am hoping that she'll learn the basics of flying and general information about aircraft, etc. sooner than later, ideally even before she starts working on driver's license. Before the bad habits that come with driving set in : ) Another alternative would be to take her to a glider school/club.

Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions. I am glad to hear this is not something to discourage her over. Next step is to find a CFI or a flight school. She is still quite a few years from being able to get PPL (agewise) but I am hoping that she'll learn the basics of flying and general information about aircraft, etc. sooner than later, ideally even before she starts working on driver's license. Before the bad habits that come with driving set in : ) Another alternative would be to take her to a glider school/club.
Wander over the www.eaa.org and find a local chapter. Attend a few meetings with her. These are no cost other than your time and you can make some good networking contacts. You might even be able to arrange a Young Eagles flight or two for the young lass.

In the end, you'll get some good father-daughter time with an aviation twist, and be able to judge her interest level before serious financial units are expended.

+1
I used to get nauseous, and I actually threw up on my third lesson. A couple ginger snap cookies, something light to eat and staying hydrated. Also avoid flying in the heat of the day, stick to early morning or evening flights. Eventually she will acclimate and those "restrictions" can be minimized and lifted.

I found chewing ginger gum and being at the controls I'm fine, I can't even ride in cars with other people without getting sick. Have her try chewing a couple pieces during preflight. It really helps me.

I'm no expert, but I have asked here also previously. Am going through the same somewhat. Seems like after 40 minutes, I sometimes start to feel it. Excellent advice here helped. Mainly what muddy00, korben88, FlySince9, and others here mention.
I can't get ginger snaps, or chewing gum, but the drugstores here carry ginger tablets. It seemed to help. In a pinch, real ginger.
I read, haven't tried, putting pressure on just above the wrist between the two bones can help. Hard to fly that way but I mean if it started getting bad and the CFI took control she could keep it in mind.
I hadn't caught on to the light meal thing. Definitely will try that.
Also as noted, it gets a lot worse if too hot or stuffy in the cockpit. Get some fresh air on you (even if it makes a little noise in the mic) and make sure you have a bag with you (her I mean)

Some of it seems to be in the mind too. I feel worrying too much about it can cause one to go looking for that feeling and can make one over monitor oneself, and cause it. I find it best to think, "it's no big deal. Just enjoy the flying!" And not try to feel if it is coming on.

One last thing which was mentioned a little. I just read a pilot mention studies done that show if one feels sick and lands before getting to the point of throwing up, their tolerance will be better the next time. If on the other hand they don't make it and end up throwing up, they will experience lower tolerance next time they fly.

Good luck to her. So far I'm determined to fly, and just hope things will improve. I am encouraged by those here that mention getting over it after time and experience.

.....I am hoping that she'll learn the basics of flying and general information about aircraft, etc. sooner than later, ideally even before she starts working on driver's license. Before the bad habits that come with driving set in : ) Another alternative would be to take her to a glider school/club.

Definitely start with gliding. It is tons of fun, way more than any other kind of flying IMO (including helicopters, and that's saying a lot!), which will build a solid foundation that will last a lifetime. Re motion sickness, it might just work itself out when she is on the controls, as opposed to being a passenger. The only time I ever had it was when my CFI was on the controls during aerobatics instruction (demoing hammerheads or rolls). As soon as I took over and did those (and others) myself, I was fine. But each person is different, and the main cure is getting used to the specific environment.

Back