Has the New Garmin been seen yet?

Re: Has the New Garmen been seen yet?

There doesn't appear to be a "new" one.

Nope. The Garmin rep said none are ready to be announced, but also said that we can expect they may bring out advanced models to answer competitors rather than just walking away from the business. :p

Nope. The Garmin rep said none are ready to be announced, but also said that we can expect they may bring out advanced models to answer competitors rather than just walking away from the business. :p
They also said that they hadn't even determined what might be in the next model. This is why so many bought one this week!

A large number of purchases makes me still think they had a surplus of the older stock and introduction of something newer was delayed to reduce the old stock.

I'm betting they will introduce a new model some time around October; just in time for Christmas. :yes:

They also said that they hadn't even determined what might be in the next model. This is why so many bought one this week!

He said they get the pressure to bring out new models when the sales of the existing stocks slows down. So....STOP BUYING if you want NEW ONES!

Oh. They were amused that "the internet" was so sure they were going to announce new models.

A Garmin rep confided they have concluded the capability of the handhelds is cannibalizing sales of the panel mounts somewhat, and so they are backing off the handhelds a bit.

A Garmin rep confided they have concluded the capability of the handhelds is cannibalizing sales of the panel mounts somewhat, and so they are backing off the handhelds a bit.
To prove that point, have a look at Controller, specifically newer Huskies. Used to be a 530 mounted was almost the norm, these days many are offered with "panel mounted" hand helds. I'd imagine Garmin makes a whole lot more on the permanently installed units!

To prove that point, have a look at Controller, specifically newer Huskies. Used to be a 530 mounted was almost the norm, these days many are offered with "panel mounted" hand helds. I'd imagine Garmin makes a whole lot more on the permanently installed units!

I imagine Garmin would. I also imagine that Garmin would sell more panel units vis portables if the FAA certification and install requirements were lessened. Having seen what Commander has gone through getting part manufacturing authority and certification to construct planes - and that despite buying the entire factory equipment - has left me wondering about whether the FAA is just covering their rears to cover their rears as opposed to taking a rational view of safety.

Back