Tillamook - thanks, TD!

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Just got back from a family reunion in Newport, OR. Driving from Newport to Portland with nearly all day to goof around, we drove up the coast on 101 to Tillamook and I diverted to the air museum (cover story I told the family was that I knew of a little cafe along the way for lunch).

Didn't get many photos, as the inside of the hangar really threw my wife's equilibrium for a wild loop - almost vertigo - so I wheeled her around in a wheel chair, but a nice little museum. Thanks for the tip, Tom D.

There's a few pics on Photobucket

Attachments

• P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 13
  • P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P1010071.JPG
    P1010071.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 10
If you fly in, you can taxi right up to the north end of the big hangar in front of the doors and park. Been there twice, plus my long solo cross country (but didn't stop at the museum then).

Oh man, if you passed through Portland, we coulda had lunch!

:)

But glad you enjoyed Tillamook! You coulda stopped to see the Spruce Goose in McMinnville (25 mins from Portland) if you really had time to kill, too.

Oh man, if you passed through Portland, we coulda had lunch!

:)

But glad you enjoyed Tillamook! You coulda stopped to see the Spruce Goose in McMinnville (25 mins from Portland) if you really had time to kill, too.

"Passed through Portland" ... now THERE'S a hoot!!! 3 hrs from Beaverton to Portland Airport ... and I thought Denver traffic sucked!!! I forgot you were in Portland now - I still think of Fargo as home for you - but that's been a while, hasn't it?

I saw the Spruce Goose when it was in Long Beach 22 years ago - very impressive. I had forgotten that they moved it.

YAVW that's some big barn :)
The museum claims it is the largest wooden building on earth, covering seven acres under roof. A twin structure next to burned down in the early 1990's.

The attached photo gives some idea of the scale ... in the yellow circle is the front half of a DC-3!

Attachments

• P1010672e.jpg
    P1010672e.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 22
"Passed through Portland" ... now THERE'S a hoot!!! 3 hrs from Beaverton to Portland Airport ... and I thought Denver traffic sucked!!! I forgot you were in Portland now - I still think of Fargo as home for you - but that's been a while, hasn't it?

I saw the Spruce Goose when it was in Long Beach 22 years ago - very impressive. I had forgotten that they moved it.

It was Grand Forks (90 m north of Fargo.) Yeah, been nearly a year.

That pic looks like an old blimp hangar, is it? (Been inside Goodyear's in Akron, but it's been a lot of years).

Man, I sure hope they've put in a sprinkler system. Our museum burned to the ground without one. Those old wood structures go up quick!

That pic looks like an old blimp hangar, is it? (Been inside Goodyear's in Akron, but it's been a lot of years).

Man, I sure hope they've put in a sprinkler system. Our museum burned to the ground without one. Those old wood structures go up quick!

Yes it is an old blimp hangar. I don't know if it has a sprinkler system.

Yep - blimp hangar. Take a look at this diagram to compare the blimps that used to be hangared there (K class, I think) compared to the Goodyear blimp...

DSCN1702.jpg

Back