ADIZ Change

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I don't know what happened to the "I'm Free" thread that was here this morning about the change to the ADIZ, but hours later, AOPA finally posted it on their site. I was curious - would AOPA take credit for this (even though they refused to post the "rumor" on their site a few months ago because they weren't the first to mention it).... Let's see:

FAA Administrator Marion Blakey announced on July 26 changes to the Washington Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ), something AOPA has been advocating for years and anticipating for weeks.

"One of the actions we have pushed for as an alternative to a final rule was an immediate change to the notam," Boyer said. "So, while we are not totally content with today's announcement, it is significant."
AOPA staff leveraged the outpouring of support from pilots in its ongoing efforts to lobby for ADIZ reform in meetings with security officials and Congress. AOPA had numerous meetings in the past year with representatives from the Department of Homeland Security, FAA, Department of Defense, and White House.

Thought so.

edit: d'oh! forgot the link: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2007/070726adiz.html

Should fit the copyright rules here: Only snippets of the original, link provided, and no MAG bashing.

Last edited:
hmmmmm.......wonder where my thread went.........

Just another AOPA bashing thread. That's what you tried to turn the lost thread into also. Get a clue. Do something positive yourself before bashing the only PAC general avaition has. What have you done for GA lately? :dunno: Thought so.

Just another AOPA bashing thread. That's what you tried to turn the lost thread into also. Get a clue. Do something positive yourself before bashing the only PAC general avaition has. What have you done for GA lately? :dunno: Thought so.

Well, I don't know what happened last night, but I wasn't doing any AOPA bashing with my thread. Sheesh!

That is not how that thread started. I saw no bashing in it yesterday. I wonder what happened late last evening?

I certainly did not think that Kaye had started the thread to bash anything. Your post has an angry tone in. I did not see anything in your to back up the statement and justify your anger. Could you provide example of your allegations please?

Last edited:
It's okay. I found out that I did a copy right booboo.

As Kaye said, the last ADIZ thread was removed because the first post was a straight rip of copyrighted material from AVWeb.

If you can get permission from them to reproduce it, we can restore the thread.

Are you referring to Nick? If so, you may want to check out a little website called goflyamerica.org. Nick has done plenty of great things to support GA in America.

As Kaye said, the last ADIZ thread was removed because the first post was a straight rip of copyrighted material from AVWeb.

If you can get permission from them to reproduce it, we can restore the thread.

Thanks for explaining it Chuck. That is a common mistake and I don't see how the other poster made the leap to a AvWeb article being an attack on the AOPA. Oh well!

I'm offended! :D

Copyrights again.

Pretty much if you copy and paste an entire article - especially if it *SAYS* Copyrighted in the post - you can assume its going to be deleted.

Links are your friend.

??? Where did this come from??? I'm the king of the AOPA bashers around here, and I haven't even started yet.

My apologies, I wasn't aware that an organization that takes credit for other people's work was an organization worth defending.

And I'm not to brag about anything I do for GA. If some of the things I do benefit GA, its better off left to the few that actually notice, while the rest benefit. If there's no benefit from me? C'est la vie, I'm trying.

But unlike AOPA, I'm not going to say: "Well, one thing I did for aviation was increase the age for 3rd class medicals. That was all me. Hey everyone, celebrate me!"

But AOPA *has* been pushing for the ADIZ to change or go away.

When I read the email from Phill B, it didn't read to me like it was taking sole credit, simply that it was updating on the battle they and OTHERS have been fighting for years. They're just updating it from their perspective.

Without AOPA and other organizations fighting on our behalf, do you think this change would have come at all?

Without AOPA and other organizations fighting on our behalf, do you think this change would have come at all?

Yes. It is my opinion that the FAA did most of the work here. The FAA didn't want the logistical nightmare that the ADIZ provided (and this change will make it a bit easier). AOPA was fighting a battle that was out of the FAA's hands, IMHO.

BUT - either way, even if it was something they could have helped, they pretty much ignored the issue once user fees became a threat. AOPA focused their efforts on user fees and ignored a bunch of other stuff. There were informative posts about issues on the homepage, but there was no "We are against this, and this is what we can do to help" for anything but user fees.

I like AOPA's idea about helping GA. Maybe without Boyer at the reigns, things would be different.

Back