Idaho by Viking

Where is this? It looks great. Now you'll have to go back and take more pictures for us on a sunny day.

Dave is a Very Bad Person.

I dunno much about farming, but I feel like it'd be a pain to grow potatoes in those particular fields.

Where is that?

Looks to be Redfish Lake.

101610_ae3d5c8b9a92d7be0ed8c9168cb13fc4_large.jpg

A few years ago we were coming back to California from Cut Bank Montana on a nice sunny morning and since there didn't seem to be any nasty weather or wildfires over central Idaho we decided to fly a straight line across basically from Missoula to Boise. That's some pretty rugged territory out there let me tell you and no valleys to follow. I remember thinking to myself when we were about halfway across "whoa, this is gnarly!" There are a lot of strips out there but not the kind that you can easily spot and many are a real challenge to get into under perfect conditions so not ideal for an emergency situation.

It was inspiring but the pucker factor was definitely up there!

A few years ago we were coming back to California from Cut Bank Montana on a nice sunny morning and since there didn't seem to be any nasty weather or wildfires over central Idaho we decided to fly a straight line across basically from Missoula to Boise. That's some pretty rugged territory out there let me tell you and no valleys to follow. I remember thinking to myself when we were about halfway across "whoa, this is gnarly!" There are a lot of strips out there but not the kind that you can easily spot and many are a real challenge to get into under perfect conditions so not ideal for an emergency situation.

It was inspiring but the pucker factor was definitely up there!
Years ago I moved from Denver to Boise to take a job as a mapping pilot. I was used to the mountains in Colorado, but the mountains in Idaho seemed to all look the same, with the exception of the Sawtooths in Dave's photo. Navigation was challenging since the only thing I had was a VOR.

The Sawtooths are the only mountains in Idaho that go up jagged and above timberline like that. There are plenty of other mountains, but they aren't as spectacular. There are a bunch of well known primitive airstrips with camping and remote ranch/lodge in Idaho. Some with bars and restuarants. You don't need a Supercub to get into them but you do need to know what you are doing. It is not for the faint of pilot.

This has been a 'what am I doing with my life' trip. I have been, like many of you, stupidly overworked and stressed - all self imposed. Even though we are not resting in lounge chairs each day, this trip was a relief valve and is helping me realize what is more important than working like an idiot for the public. I take this opportunity to encourage all others in this situation to make yourself get away and rest.

There are 10 dogs here.
Reeally helps; they run, play, seem carefree, love humans. Mmmm.

The Sawtooths are the only mountains in Idaho that go up jagged and above timberline like that. There are plenty of other mountains, but they aren't as spectacular. There are a bunch of well known primitive airstrips with camping and remote ranch/lodge in Idaho. Some with bars and restuarants. You don't need a Supercub to get into them but you do need to know what you are doing. It is not for the faint of pilot.

There are actually quite a few ranges in Idaho above tree line.

Just 'cuz he didn't take you along? It's not like you have a bonanza or something that could make that trip ;-)

You are, of course, correct. Dr. Dave's comment, above, is infused with wisdom.

Back