Too many crashes on Long Island

Government types in NY won't stop till you need written permission to so much as take a dump.

Sadly folks here will sell their monther at the drop of a hat when a politician invokes "the children" "saftey" or "9/11".

Oh, Lord, I've not been trained or tested, and I've not flown in a long time. Please don't tell this to any of the CFIs, CFIIs or DPEs I've flown with, and especially not to my insurance agent, who wants to know how many hours I fly each year at renewal. Just combined an optional IPC with a 5-month-early Flight Review a couple of weeks ago.

Too bad common sense and decency aren't required to be an Airport Manager on Long Island. Maybe he just wants people to avoid his airport so he won't have to work so much? If I lived a few hours closer, my promise to avoid him might not sound so empty.

Oh %#*^ Schumer. He's a piece of garbage. Always wants more laws, more regulation.

Government types in NY won't stop till you need written permission to so much as take a dump.

Sadly folks here will sell their monther at the drop of a hat when a politician invokes "the children" "saftey" or "9/11".

Only legal on the subway. Done.

The director of aviation at a small college who was quoted in the linked article has covered himself in glory with his rather stupid comment.

Senator Charles Schumer has demanded that the Federal Aviation Administration investigate a possible pattern.

I wonder how that went?

Schumer: I demand you investigate these crashes!
FAA: Well, that's the NTSB's job, but that's kind'a what they do every day...

Schumer: But are you going to investigate these specific crashes?
FAA: Again, I direct you to the NTSB, but they investigate all crashes, including these.

Schumer: And you're going to send me this report personally?
FAA: The report will be published for everybody to see.

Schumer: And you're not just going to write this one off as "bad luck" again? That's unacceptable!
FAA: The NTSB has never written one off as "bad luck".

Schumer: "Look at me everybody! I demanded that the FAA investigate this!"

Chuck Schumer is absolutely one of the most useless politicians in American History! If you look at the bills he introduced into the Senate they range mostly from, completely useless regulations and increasing governmental oversight to the just downright bizarre. I can remember several classic Chuck Schumer calls for " investigations" about all sorts of things that don't need investigations. The guy is a classic fear monger politician who capitalizes on the uneducated masses by scaring them even more into actually believing he knows how to solve things government has no business being involved in.

As someone who trained and flys on Long Island I can tell you that I received very good training. The number of GA flights around Long Island is very high( Farmingdale and Islip and Brookhaven have nearly constant streams of GA traffic on any nice day.) Simple rules of probability say we will ave more accidens per year than sleepy old places that have 10 flights per day.

i have a few thousand hours in that airspace and i think it might be the safest around per ga flight hour .i live in fl now and see some crazy things

The Senator is known for holding pointless news conferences every few days asking for random investigations on things that aren't problems or declaring a crisis when there's no crisis. It's sort of his MO.

There's a ton of GA traffic around Long Island. If anyone thinks "GA is dying" take a flight around LI on a nice summer day. Yes there are occasionally accidents but there's no data I've seen that says there is any particular problem in the area relative to GA elsewhere. If anything it seems a fairly tightly run ship relative to other airspace I've seen.

i have a few thousand hours in that airspace and i think it might be the safest around per ga flight hour .i live in fl now and see some crazy things

Same can be said about the drivers. Yeah traffic in and around NY is heavy but everyone seems to know what the hell they're doing. Florida on the other hand, just as much traffic, 4x the idiots.

Much as it pains me to say it, I miss Mike Bloomberg. He was a knowledgeable voice of sanity that the media would actually put on the air when (at least) two major air disasters hit the city on his watch (Cactus 1549 and Cory Lidle smacking a high rise come to mind; there may have been others). He was the counterpoint to that media whore Chuckie.

Crap, I have a real Chuck Schumer story that sums him up perfectly. About 4 years ago (just prior to the 2012 elections) I was having dinner in New York city with a large group of about 10 people. We were going to a high end Italian restaurant in Midtown. We show up for dinner at about 8PM, and we vaguely recognize the guy just finishing dinner at the table next to us, its Chuck Schumer. Within seconds he switches from eating dinner mode, comes over to our table and basically starts asking for our votes in the next general elections. Giving us the whole bit about what a tough election it is going to be, and that the Democrats really need our votes. He then starts posing for pictures with people at our table. Thanks us for are support and leaves.

The guy has never seen a photo-op he does not take advantage of, and if you watch he has a Sunday press event just about every week, to talk about his perceived issue of the day, slight, or manufactured crisis. He is a total camera hound.

Back