Landing Fees

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
So... I wrapped up my PPL a few weeks ago. Took out a friend out for a joy ride then my oldest son (9) for a joy ride. Both great flights - comfortable, confident and the folks sitting in the right seat enjoyed the ride.

Now I am working on getting the wife in the air but it's taking a little more planning with the kids etc so if we are going to head somewhere, we might as well make it worth while. I am considering a short ride up to KMKC (Wheeler Downtown) and realize in spite of all the training - my general understanding of busier airport operations (outside of my local class C) is a lacking.

So, looking at KMKC, I see from the AF/D and ForeFlight information, there are more or less 3 FBOs. Atlantic, Signature and the city's FBO. How would one go about finding the landing fees / ramp fees and where exactly to park if there is no one around?

Best I can tell is search around the web, call the FBO and in general, look around. What I am trying to avoid is looking like a punk, park in the wrong spot or look completely lost out there. Any advice on going to new destinations? What to look for and how to gather the pertinent airport information. Seems to me calling is the best option but maybe I am missing something.

Benjamin

I would use ForeFlight to read the comments and call to verify. That's a pretty approach into KC.

AirNav.com. Scroll down to view the FBO's basic information. If you need more, call and ask. If they're any good at customer service, they'll walk you through everything you need to know and what you can expect.

Edit: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMKC

Call and ask, its my experience the larger FBO's will charge fees but usually waive them with minimum fuel purchase. But me, I usually pick up the phone and call. Its the easiest and some time more accurate, though depending on who you get one the phone.

I've found reviews to often be inaccurate. Calling (or a recent online posting on their website I can use as evidence if they try to charge something else) is the only source I trust.

Clarification...your question centers around Ramp and FBO fees which are different from landing fees. Landing fees are assessed for simply touching down and typically are not in play at most GA airports (but they are at some). Ramp fees are for parking and FBO services.

You are not missing something. You sometimes need to do some detective work on your own to find out if a field has transient parking or if you need to use a FBO. If going into an airport and I just want transient parking with no services, I will both search this forum as well as call the airport administration number on Airnav.com and ask if there is public transient parking and fees. If there is not, or if I want FBO services, I will call them directly to find out if there are ramp fees, overnight fees and if any can be waived with fuel purchases so I know what I am getting in to and give them a heads up that I am coming in. The really good FBO's will be listening on frequency for your tail number and be on the line to direct you when you arrive.

Google Earth satellite view of the airport to locate the terminal building, parking and FBO's also has been a valuable tool.

...but yeah, calling ahead is still the best way for complete information. Foreflight and the AF/D also has the Unicom frequency for most FBO's that you can ask where to park once you are on the ground.

All else fails, just ask Ground Control after landing if there is transient parking and progressive taxi instructions!

Last edited:
Air nav and a phone call have worked good for me .

Can use the comments on AirNav and ForeFlight. Best way to get the most accurate and up to date info? Call the FBO.

Assume there aren't any landing fees. Plan on getting fuel so they waive them if there are. Sometimes you can park around the corner down by the hangars or somewhere and they will ignore you. If all else fails, just pay them. No one said flying small airplanes was inexpensive.

If I have multiple stops in a day and plan on using a crew car I'll plan my fueling so I get 20 gallons or so at each location.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

You have to call.

I would also suggest using Google earth and the airport taxi charts to find the FBO and scope it out in advance.

As far as where to park, at the busier FBOs, there will be a marshaler in a golf cart or van. If there is not, take your best guess. Leave your brakes off always, they might move the plane around.

Even us more experienced folks have issues at times too, so don't worry about it. Live and learn.

...and some airports just have a "wierd" setup - ie PAO.

Back