NA Network cables

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am making a couple up of network cables tonight and have minor flatulence of the cerebral hemisphere.
Do I have to worry about crossover when making cables? These are going from modem to firewall, firewall to switch, switch to server.
Probably over thinking it.
Likely, I just make each end the same. With the clip away from me, it goes um.. without my guide oran/wht, oran, grn/wht,blue,blu/wht,grn, brn/wht, brn?
On all ends, correct?
568B.

Most components these days are smart enough to work with either.

Probably best to sit down with the wires to determine how they self identify. Don't go calling a wire a orange-white because of how you view it's insulation.

On a serious note, I think Weilke is correct that crossovers are not typically needed anymore.

I have at least 10 5ft cables that you can have free just pay shipping. I think I have a 50ft cable too. These are all cat5.

You have it right for 568B. I call it "split green and flip blue".

I hardly ever mess with making custom patch cables anymore with the prices so low at MonoPrice.com.

Have made thousands, but it's not worth the time anymore considering you can order them pre-made and tested for nearly nothing, money wise, now, in virtually any length and jacket color imaginable.

Back