Unsubscribing

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
It aggravates me that some companies get my e-mail address and start sending me multiple emails every week, advertising their stuff, but then won't let me unsubscribe. Best Buy is one of them but not the only one. I bought a computer from Best Buy, and somewhere along the way, probably when I registered it, they got my e-mail address. But I've "unsubscribed" to it a half dozen times. They can't take a hint. I have several of them now in my email every day.

Aggravating yes, I have the same problem.

Spam filter.

The simple answer is don't ever give them your private email. If they insist, give them your junk mail address such as Yahoo or AOL.

Junk email address with spam filter. Then blacklist repeat offenders.

How do you handle:
Companies you transact with regularly and need to talk to, get receipts from.
But they also insist on using the same email to send 'Great Deals' on a regular basis?
Put them to junk folder and then you miss their important messages.
Many are large companies and you cannot just ask them to knock it off.

Many companies have a place you can go on their website where you can select the types of communications you want from them.

The simple answer is don't ever give them your private email. If they insist, give them your junk mail address such as Yahoo or AOL.

That.

that, or....I set up spam rules for the unwanted....and they automatically go into the delete box.

As someone who once tried "selling" for a living, I can tell you there is no better way to attract a salesman that to put out your "no solicitors" sign. Especially, nowadays in the online world. I just put my email filter to "exclusive" so that only people in my contact list can get to my inbox. All else goes to junk, which I scan the titles of and delete periodically. Every once in awhile the junk folder yields an interesting message. But, 99.9% gets trashed without ever being opened.

That's odd. I buy a decent amount of stuff at Best Buy and I'm pretty sure they have my email, but I don't recall getting anything from them (unless my spam filters already catching it).

There are only a few people who have really been obnoxious. Sportsman Guide is one that took me a long time to get off.

The other thing I've done is told Constant Contact and MailChimp and a few others that I want completely blocked from them and any messages that come through will go direct to spamcop. Haven't had any of those either.

Many companies have a place you can go on their website where you can select the types of communications you want from them.
Yes, many do. But just because you go there and click some boxes, does not mean that they will comply with what you have checked. Hence, the thread. I have clicked the boxes Several times. Now what? As far as not giving out my email address, it is hard to communicate with a company without giving them your email address. I don't know how one would do that unless you have decided not to do anything on line. Flyingron, good for you, Best Buy must think that I'm going to spend more money if I get two or three emails a day. Evidently they don't think you will for some reason. I don't find that surprising about Sportsman's Guide though. I've never done business with them on line, but before the internet, I bought something from them and I got catalogs and flyers in the mail several times a week for decades.

Not the question,, once infected how do you get off the hook.

Find some key words in those emails and make a new spam filter, I've found that just filtering anything with a $ in the subject kills a lot of junk.

Now I'm on my own server with a unique domain, so since I don't give that email out to any website that asks, I have virtually zero spam.

But yeah, just find some key words in those spam emails and make a new filter.

I wish I could unsubscribe to Microsoft's continued requests for me to upgrade to Window 10. I'm quite happy with Windows 7.

I wish I could unsubscribe to Microsoft's continued requests for me to upgrade to Window 10. I'm quite happy with Windows 7.

They will the morning you wake up to the screen that says to Windows 10, Let's Get Started. ;)

I'm getting spam fro Oakley sunglasses. When you click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom a new page open sup ERROR 404: Page Not Found :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or ones that say the unsubription will become effective within 7-10 days. It only took thme 15 minutes to send me spam after they got my email, but takes 2 weeks to reverse.

Open Windows Update.

KB3035583. Find it in your downloaded updates and delete it. Then, next time you update Gotta do it manually) if that update shows up hide it.

I just quit doing their updates. They have screwed up my computer enough.

It aggravates me that some companies get my e-mail address and start sending me multiple emails every week, advertising their stuff, but then won't let me unsubscribe. Best Buy is one of them but not the only one. I bought a computer from Best Buy, and somewhere along the way, probably when I registered it, they got my e-mail address. But I've "unsubscribed" to it a half dozen times. They can't take a hint. I have several of them now in my email every day.

Social media gets peoples attention. Send an email to an exec.

I have a brand new computer, that I bought at Best Buy, and it has nothing more installed on it than it came with, that being Windows 10. It does not have enough memory to update. I'm not sure whether that says something about my cheap computer, or the size of the update.

I have my own domain, so my email addresses are typically specific to a company. For instance my best buy email address is bestbuy@xxxxxx.com. If unsubbing doesn't work, I setup a filter to move it to the trash. I started doing my emails like this to help identify who was giving my email address to other vendors.

There are some places... ebay and amazon are the first that come to mind that I actually DO need to get email from occasionally but constantly send me junk. I have subfolders in my inbox and filters for such things so I don't need to look at them until I need them.

@TangoWhiskey showed me a trick during the beta testing of this site. If your normal email address is "flyer@xxx.com", you can use "flyer+bestbuy@xxx.com" and it will still be delivered to you, unless you filter it out, but it will be obvious where it came from, and you can tell if the company sold your email to another site. Same result as the post above this one if you don't have your own domain.

Edit: I mean the post two above this one. I wasn't fast enough.

The other thing I've done is told Constant Contact and MailChimp and a few others that I want completely blocked from them and any messages that come through will go direct to spamcop. Haven't had any of those either.

Just a side note about that...

Local governments are rapidly moving to outsource constituent contact systems to folks like Constant Contact and MailChimp via contracts. They want out of the mass mail sending biz.

(I know this because of our product that handles election contact traffic -- numerous entire States are already using these vendors and lots more County level stuff is. That trend appears to be accelerating.)

I don't care at all if you block those services, I'm simply pointing out that it's likely you'll see (or not see) messages from your local gov coming from those server IPs "soonish".

Figured I'd mention it before it gets too prevalent and you start missing stuff you might want, like licensing renewal notifications and what-not. It won't be feasible for everyone to block those service companies, across the board anyway, for much longer.

Figured I'd mention it before it gets too prevalent and you start missing stuff you might want, like licensing renewal notifications and what-not. It won't be feasible for everyone to block those service companies, across the board anyway, for much longer.
I realize you are talking about people here in general, but I can't see our county sending much of anything by email. They are on the trailing edge of technology. In fact I wonder sometimes if they have any technology.

I realize you are talking about people here in general, but I can't see our county sending much of anything by email. They are on the trailing edge of technology. In fact I wonder sometimes if they have any technology.

Our county definitely not.

The county to our west is using a similar service to MailChimp as is the county slightly north and west.

I can't elaborate further, but they are. ;)

The most interesting part of working with county level folks is how utterly computer illiterate most counties are. It's 2016, and we're up to Windows 10... You'd think a file upload wouldn't be rocket science. But it is.

And standard security practices common in the late 90s everywhere else -- aren't being used in some of our state's largest counties. They don't even realize that standards exist, most of the time.

The sad part is, they're so far behind, almost all of them, that no IT tech would bother trying to get hired to fix it, even out of pity. This is stuff kids do in their basements now, and not something anyone would want on a resume. So it's a self-fulfilling problem.

You and I both know a City level person (well, you probably met him once anyway) who's got his city's stuff really up to snuff, but he's a pilot -- so of course he's paying attention to details on the standard security checklists. Heh. :)

(He's hinted numerous times at me that he needs more staff. Nooooooo thanks. Bad pay, nobody can get fired if they're even non-maliciously destructive to systems and hardware through lack of care in their work, equal bennies to everywhere else, pension plans for those positions are a thing of the past, etc. There's little compelling reason to do it near a metro. Maybe if you were WAY rural and were a computer nerd living in the middle of nowhere...)

Give them a day or so to update their database, just to be fair. After that, report any additional mail to SpamCop with a note that the company ignored your unsubscribe request. That usually gets you off their lists.

Rich

LOL, trunk moneky, LOL. Been a while since I've seen it.

If I suspect future email spam, I register for things with a fake address. If a real one is needed, there are dozens of servers that will provide a temporary address.
Or Yahoo will also let me create an "alias" address for my regular mailbox and I can use it for a week or two and then kill it. Problem solved. :)

Yes, many do. But just because you go there and click some boxes, does not mean that they will comply with what you have checked. Hence, the thread. I have clicked the boxes Several times. Now what? As far as not giving out my email address, it is hard to communicate with a company without giving them your email address. I don't know how one would do that unless you have decided not to do anything on line. Flyingron, good for you, Best Buy must think that I'm going to spend more money if I get two or three emails a day. Evidently they don't think you will for some reason. I don't find that surprising about Sportsman's Guide though. I've never done business with them on line, but before the internet, I bought something from them and I got catalogs and flyers in the mail several times a week for decades.
Under the CAN SPAM act, they have 10 days to remove you from their list. After that, file a complaint with the FTC. But I am guessing that if they're really not honoring your unsubscribe requests, the emails aren't really from Best Buy.

Ok, the b@stards did it! I came in this morning to find that my video editing computer had automatically upgraded to Windows 10 during the night. I hit decline on the license agreement and it has started to do a restore of Windows 7. If these microsoft d!ckheads have bricked my machine I'm going to be pretty pi$$ed !!

It normally asks me first.
Hmm, that sucks. I have mine set to 'Check but don't download'. Hopefully, this won't happen to the rest of us. From what I can tell, Win10's interface is better than Win8, but I still don't want it. I wonder which update actually caused yours to auto update.

I hear you, man. I have a Hotmail account that I use for that very purpose. I have another account for people I actually want to hear from and for business. Periodically, I just go into Hotmail, select all, and wipe it clean.

Last edited:
Hmm, that sucks. I have mine set to 'Check but don't download'. Hopefully, this won't happen to the rest of us. From what I can tell, Win10's interface is better than Win8, but I still don't want it. I wonder which update actually caused yours to auto update.

KB3035583 is the last one I'm aware of. You can hide it in Windows Updates and can remove it if you've already downloaded it. There may be others. Microsoft is getting sneaky. Some of the tech sites have some good information on how to avoid it.

Back