Got a Part 121 Flyin' Job!

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
After almost 2.5 years in the Caravan, I've decided to move on and succumb to the shiney-jet syndrome. Begin training at GoJet on Monday for the last class which will still honor my ATP written without going through a CTP.

GoJet...??? Congrats.
Just curious, did you try some other regionals??
This made me smile. Thanks

I was kinda wondering the same thing though.

To the op. Good luck on the line. Enjoy yourself out there good times ahead.

One hint. Every time you get a call from crew scheduling save the number on your phone. Put them all in one contact. That can be helpful down the road when they are short pilots and you like the trip you are on.

Good luck. You won't be reserve very long so that's a good thing.

GoJet...??? Congrats.
No. STL base was my primary consideration, and of all the pilots I talked to at other airlines, the GOJ folkes seemed to really like it. Fewer complaint and less animosity than others.

Congratulations and good luck. Do not let the biases and ignorance of the peanut gallery dissuade you from your chosen career or employer. They rarely have a clue as to what they are writing about.

Have fun! It's great to everyone getting hired on.

Congratulations and good luck. Do not let the biases and ignorance of the peanut gallery dissuade you from your chosen career or employer. They rarely have a clue as to what they are writing about.

Or they may have actually worked for several years in the regional industry and speak from experience. It's really hard to tell how valid anyone's comments on a forum are without knowing the individual.

To the op I haven't kept track of the particulars in the feeder market last couple of years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that St. Louis doesn't close on you. When I was rocking around in the 2006-11 years there was a lot of instability in base cities with more than a few regionals. Hopefully the dust has settled some in the last few years and the contract carriers are not getting jerked around quite so bad by the majors.

What I found to be the most impactful on QOL while on line was the relationship with crew scheduling. We had a manger in that department get fired and not long after the DO was fired as well. Their replacements had different attitudes about how to run scheduling and manage crews. It was like going to work at a different (better) company after the changes in management. I hope you have good people to work with at go.

Regardless of any issues you'll have fun, learn a lot and make lifetime friendships and hopefully swing open a door to a major. Tailwinds!

GoJet...??? Congrats.
That was my first thought as well.

Honest question for the OP: with all of the regionals hiring these days, why did you pick GoJets?

I haven't followed them too closely since I moved from the west coast, but 5 years ago, they were the bottom feeder of all bottom feeders. Has that changed? Is Ornstein still involved?

Honest question for the OP: with all of the regionals hiring these days, why did you pick GoJets?

I haven't followed them too closely since I moved from the west coast, but 5 years ago, they were the bottom feeder of all bottom feeders. Has that changed? Is Ornstein still involved?
A large part of my choice was staying STL based with my family. I've talked to a lot of commuters, and while it works for many, the ones who have established families hate it. That's worth a slightly lower pay, IMO.

Not sure who Ornstein is, but I don't recognize the name from the intro stuff on interview day, so I'm leaning towards answering that question in the negative. My AME flew GOJ for years, and he admitted it was rough a few back, but said it has gotten much better. Active pilots who I've talked to seemed to confirm.

I don't wanna spread rumors, but what I hear is that Mesa is the bottom-feeder now. Someone I know, who was the only person in company history to fail an FO checkride in the Caravan, is there now, as that's the only place she got an offer from after failing out of Trans...

After almost 2.5 years in the Caravan, I've decided to move on and succumb to the shiney-jet syndrome. Begin training at GoJet on Monday for the last class which will still honor my ATP written without going through a CTP.

Congrats, I'd wager you'll miss PICing the 208 though ;)

No bet from me! Some of the most fun I've had in my career was flying the Cheyenne II (the K-Mart King Air) around. ;)

I already miss it; Always was and still is my favorite airplane. Maybe with this massive new contract at GOJ, I'll be able to buy my own 'Van in a few months, lol...

A large part of my choice was staying STL based with my family. I've talked to a lot of commuters, and while it works for many, the ones who have established families hate it. That's worth a slightly lower pay, IMO.

Not sure who Ornstein is, but I don't recognize the name from the intro stuff on interview day, so I'm leaning towards answering that question in the negative. My AME flew GOJ for years, and he admitted it was rough a few back, but said it has gotten much better. Active pilots who I've talked to seemed to confirm.

I don't wanna spread rumors, but what I hear is that Mesa is the bottom-feeder now. Someone I know, who was the only person in company history to fail an FO checkride in the Caravan, is there now, as that's the only place she got an offer from after failing out of Trans...
Understand the motivation. Being able to live in base is a huge plus in QOL.

I am apparently completely jacked up (wouldn't be the first time). I assumed GoJets was the same as Go! which was a garbage carrier that was started by the Mesa Air CEO Jonathan Ornstein to undercut the local airlines in Hawaii. But according to wiki, Go! shut down and GoJet is owned by someone other than Mesa.

You are correct. Mesa is pretty much a bottom feeder. Ornstein sucks. He's not quite Frank Lorenzo bad, but he sure isn't getting any CEO of the year nominations.

No, Mesa is the bottom feeder. But when daddy Delta has told their own crews to avoid commuting on GoJetz because they are so unreliable in terms of arrival time and completion factor, it says a lot.

While I wouldn't have picked GoJet, living in base I could see picking that. Good luck, hopefully the place doesn't fold up on you.

Anyway, congrats and have fun in training.

Route-Map_web-optimized.jpg

Understand the motivation. Being able to live in base is a huge plus in QOL.

I am apparently completely jacked up (wouldn't be the first time). I assumed GoJets was the same as Go! which was a garbage carrier that was started by the Mesa Air CEO Jonathan Ornstein to undercut the local airlines in Hawaii. But according to wiki, Go! shut down and GoJet is owned by someone other than Mesa.

You are correct. Mesa is pretty much a bottom feeder. Ornstein sucks. He's not quite Frank Lorenzo bad, but he sure isn't getting any CEO of the year nominations.
Hmm, interesting, haven't heard of that one before. Yeah, GoJet is owned by Trans States.

Congrats! Love seeing all these threads about members joining the 121 world. Hopefully in 3 years I can start my own thread like this!

Congrats! Love seeing all these threads about members joining the 121 world. Hopefully in 3 years I can start my own thread like this!
Get ready, all of the old timers will think you fly for "Go" out in Hawaii.

Back