Happy Tax Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, living in a secure society where I can invest in my property without worrying about it being bombed tomorrow and knowing I can't be victimized for expression of my thoughts is actually a really big deal. Our government and society does a crapload for us, most of which we blithely take for granted.

Agreed. I do wonder, is America the only place where one can attain such state? Not disagreeing, just wondering if there's an alternative to our problems that we could draw inspiration from.

Social Security & Medicare make up 60% of the federal budget. You may not enjoy it now, but it's yours.

As for the rest, no way it's 10% that you "enjoy" in your daily life unless you're in the military. There is only 11% of your money left after social security, military & debt interest!

So unless you're retired, you'd literally have to be using 91% of all of the remainder of government services to have 10% enjoyment. Farmer, living in HUD, going to school, working for NASA, and getting SNAP at the same time?

I doubt I'll get to enjoy Social Security and Medicare at what I should be getting once I'm eligible because the program is not sustainable and nothing is being done about it....and yes I know there are a bunch of IOU's but do you really believe they will be paid back? Thankfully I've built my retirement plan on the assumption there will no SS and Medicare will be much more expensive in 12 years.

Social Security & Medicare make up 60% of the federal budget. You may not enjoy it now, but it's yours.

As for the rest, no way it's 10% that you "enjoy" in your daily life unless you're in the military. There is only 11% of your money left after social security, military & debt interest!

So unless you're retired, you'd literally have to be using 91% of all of the remainder of government services to have 10% enjoyment. Farmer, living in HUD, going to school, working for NASA, and getting SNAP at the same time?

Uhh, what I'm saying is out of all the government crap I pay for, I only use about 10% of it daily, a couple old azz roads, the US postal system on occasion, some ATC services and a couple other things, I see ZERO benifit from our endless occupations of countries half a world away, I've never even seen a food stamp, I highly doubt I'll get anywhere near the amount of SS compared to what I'll end up being forced to put into it, etc etc

Agreed. I do wonder, is America the only place where one can attain such state? Not disagreeing, just wondering if there's an alternative to our problems that we could draw inspiration from.

Sure there is, it's called America, just not today's version

Uhh, what I'm saying is out of all the government crap I pay for, I only use about 10% of it daily, a couple old azz roads, the US postal system on occasion, some ATC services and a couple other things, I see ZERO benifit from our endless occupations of countries half a world away, I've never even seen a food stamp, I highly doubt I'll get anywhere near the amount of SS compared to what I'll end up being forced to put into it, etc etc

If you really think the government doesn't do anything try moving to a government free zone like Somalia, or Libya, or Syria. Tell us all about it.

Where did I say "government free"??

What I'm saying is we need the government of our forefathers, not the 1200lb bloated hog "mother may I" corrupt chit show we have now.

Also some of the countries you speak of, well it's the corruption and evil of government which commits some of the atrocities you read about, not the lack of government.

Uhh, what I'm saying is out of all the government crap I pay for, I only use about 10% of it daily, a couple old azz roads, the US postal system on occasion, some ATC services and a couple other things

Yeah, I was just saying that unless you're military or ex-military, there is no way you use that much. Maybe 1%.

You'd have to use pretty much all of the non-military discretionary services to get to 10%. See if you think you do that:

PS: Non-military discretionary is the only thing ever open for debate. And see how small part of the pie that is - this is why your taxes will never really go down.

2016 budget.png

It's as regressive as you can get. The middle class pays a MUCH higher percentage of their income in sales tax as either the wealthy or the poor.

Right - that's the first problem. The wealthy saves more, which is a good thing for them, but a bad thing for the economy. And the uber-wealthy can't even spend enough for it to get taxed if they wanted to. If Bill Gates and his family start spending $10m per month, every month, it would take about 1000 years to tax that. But not even since even at 0.25% interest, they'd still earn about double that. Donald Trump once said that there isn't really a lifestyle difference between someone who has $16m and someone who has $1b - it's a game after that. So at the very least you would need estate taxes in addition to sales taxes, unless we want to create multi-millennia aristocracies.

The second issue is that the wealthy spends more of their money off shore, which won't be subject to sales tax.

I can't put my finger on it just yet, but I believe your thinking is slightly flawed.
Why should the wealthy pay enough in tax to bring their useable income down to that of someone on the dole?
Let's put the shoe on your foot. Let's suppose that you started with nothing much more than the want to, and through your ability to hire the right person to get the job done, you built up a multi billion dollar/year company, with zero debt service, and paid your employees well. Would you be willing to pay enough in income tax to drop your "bring home pay" to that of a lower-middle income family?

There's a friend of mine that likes Mercedes cars. But will refuse to spend that kind of money at the local dealership for a new one.
Instead, he'll buy an airline ticket to Germany, (sales tax?) and purchase a new S-600 there, have it shipped back here, (import tax?)
then pay someone to bring it to American standards, (sales tax involved?) Then he brags to everyone how he only gave about $50k for his $200k car. But what he doesn't tell about is what it cost to get it here, and legal to drive here.

Where did I say "government free"??

What I'm saying is we need the government of our forefathers, not the 1200lb bloated hog "mother may I" corrupt chit show we have now.

Also some of the countries you speak of, well it's the corruption and evil of government which commits some of the atrocities you read about, not the lack of government.
Our Forefathers" !? What kind of absurd statement is that? who paid for WW2? Taxpayers, who paid for the interstate hwy system under Eisenhower? Taxpayer, 90 percent fed, 10'percent state. Without the interstates how would we conduct business or even eat!? ( seeing as we neglected our rail system and ruined it) I should not fail to mention the Internet that your whineing on, whose birth was funded for govt. Scientists who invented it. The list is endless. Also a lot of complaining about social security being broke which is the direct result of having its funds stolen the latest big theft was the iraq war. Yet to be repaid. Both the Iraq and afghan wars were put on a credit card.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure it's the taxes that bother most people as it is the perceived and actual waste of how those tax dollars are being spent.

Several years ago on the much maligned spin zone forum, back when the national debt was 17 trillion dollars, the discussion was about how much debt can the nation handle before a complete financial collapse, as in the dollar becoming internationally worthless. The consensus then, at least among the participating SZ members, that it would happen around the time we reach the 20 trillion mark. I think we are now at 19 trillion.

So perhaps we should now be feeling really lucky we even have a government to be paying taxes to.

-John

Our Forefathers" !? What kind of absurd statement is that? who paid for WW2? Taxpayers, who paid for the interstate hwy system under Eisenhower? Taxpayer, 90 percent fed, 10'percent state. Without the interstates how would we conduct business or even eat!? ( seeing as we neglected our rail system and ruined it) I should not fail to mention the Internet that your whineing on, whose birth was funded for govt. Scientists who invented it. The list is endless. Also a lot of complaining about social security being broke which is the direct result of having its funds stolen the latest big theft was the iraq war. Yet to be repaid. Both the Iraq and afghan wars were put on a credit card.

You're right, and I'm sure whatever you have done in your life was also credited to your all mighty government.

"In government we trust"

. Also a lot of complaining about social security being broke which is the direct result of having its funds stolen the latest big theft was the iraq war. Yet to be repaid. Both the Iraq and afghan wars were put on a credit card.

My mistake. I did not know that my social security money was being stolen to pay for that. Bill Clinton and Al Gore assured me my social security money was going into a lock box.

I can't put my finger on it just yet, but I believe your thinking is slightly flawed.
Why should the wealthy pay enough in tax to bring their useable income down to that of someone on the dole?
Let's put the shoe on your foot. Let's suppose that you started with nothing much more than the want to, and through your ability to hire the right person to get the job done, you built up a multi billion dollar/year company, with zero debt service, and paid your employees well. Would you be willing to pay enough in income tax to drop your "bring home pay" to that of a lower-middle income family?.

I never said that you have to have your pay drop to middle class level. If you earn 100 times as much money as I do, your "bring home pay" should absolute be 100 times as much as mine. BUT, it shouldn't be 150 times as much as mine.

Then he brags to everyone how he only gave about $50k for his $200k car. But what he doesn't tell about is what it cost to get it here, and legal to drive here.

Yeah, it's not $150'000 to get it here and legal to drive. BMW has an existing program called the BMW ED program. They give you 6% discount if you pick up a car from Dingolfing instead of taking US Delivery. ED alone makes their high-end models cheaper than the US delivery, even after shipping & duties. Sure you have to fly to Dingolfing but you can combine that with another European trip. If you add another $40'000 sales tax to the cost of the U.S car, you can have a pretty decent trip for half that and still pocket $20'000

Our Forefathers" !? What kind of absurd statement is that? who paid for WW2? Taxpayers, who paid for the interstate hwy system under Eisenhower? Taxpayer, 90 percent fed, 10'percent state. Without the interstates how would we conduct business or even eat!?

I guess this certificate I have showing that my grandfather drove 2 million miles in over the road trucking pre-Interstate system, didn't happen. Weren't any roads anywhere before that.

Hahahaha. What are you smoking Jimmy?

I never said that you have to have your pay drop to middle class level. If you earn 100 times as much money as I do, your "bring home pay" should absolute be 100 times as much as mine. BUT, it shouldn't be 150 times as much as mine.

Why?
A) What business is it of yours?
B) You have the ability to make as much as the person making 100 times as much. Why haven't you availed yourself of the opportunity?
C) If you made $1 and the other person made $100, what do you propose you each pay in taxes?
D) How would a person making $100 keep $150 of it? (Your scenario, not mine.)

Yeah, it's not $150'000 to get it here and legal to drive. BMW has an existing program called the BMW ED program. They give you 6% discount if you pick up a car from Dingolfing instead of taking US Delivery. ED alone makes their high-end models cheaper than the US delivery, even after shipping & duties. Sure you have to fly to Dingolfing but you can combine that with another European trip. If you add another $40'000 sales tax to the cost of the U.S car, you can have a pretty decent trip for half that and still pocket $20'000

You keep claiming this, but in looking up, oh say, actual facts, not fiction...

A) No matter who imports it to where ever, it's going to be charged a 2.5% excise/import tax direct to FedGov.

B) most States have OWNERSHIP taxes on vehicles not SALES taxes. These taxes are due against the value of the vehicle and the in-service date and don't change at all for an import (other than being considerably higher simply due to valuation/price.

C) Additionally many States (like mine) impose various "fees" (to get around calling them "taxes") on motor vehicles and those are also calculated per annum against the value of the vehicle. This also doesn't change between domestically sourced and imported.

D) Most vehicle sales taxes are held at the COUNTY level and are a one-shot low percentage number. Usually around 3%. These may not be captured; depending on the law of the County. County law is usually extremely easy to change in a General Election or in States that allow it, via Referendum. There is almost zero real barrier to making sure there's an import clause addendum added to County law in order to collect.

E) All imported vehicles have to pass through an authorized importer who makes all modifications to endure the vehicle passes various national law including emissions, safety, etc. None of this appears to be inexpensive and sales and business taxes are collected as well as licensure fees for these businesses nearly continuously.

So where do you import these fancy foreign cars to, which magically don't have any taxes or fees and couldn't add such in any election year any politician (or Citizens via petition) decide to put it on the law books?

Is the moral of the story that you're too lazy to lobby for the County taxes locally? Any place with half a brain cell that can't figure out how to fix it, probably has a majority of voters who don't want to, and that's their prerogative.

The Feds are still getting more than they ever get on a domestic-produced vehicle with the excise / Import tax.

Last edited:
C) If you made $1 and the other person made $100, what do you propose you each pay in taxes?
Let's say $0.30 vs. $30

D) How would a person making $100 keep $150 of it? (Your scenario, not mine.)
You should read up on... Ummm. Math.

By example:
Susan makes $1 and pays 40% taxes.
Jane makes $100 and pays 10% taxes. (e.g. She can spend less of her money - under the "FairTax" rules she would pay less % tax).

Thus:
Susan's pays $0.40 in taxes, so her take-home is $0.60.
Jane's pays $10 in taxes, so her take-home is $90.

Thus Jane's take-home is 150 times more than Susan's ($90 vs. $0.60), even though she earns only 100 times as much ($100 vs. $1).

You keep claiming this, but in looking up, oh say, actual facts, not fiction...
<snip>

This isn't some theoretical made up scenario. Go speak to a BMW dealer and ask them about European Delivery (or Volvo, or Porsche, or Mercedes, or Audi). Easier than that, go to this BMW USA web site:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/EuropeanDelivery/OrderYourBMW.aspx

They arrange everything for you, from the flight on Lufthansa, to the Factory Tour, Delivery, Shipping, Registration back in the US etc.

It's also not just some edge case that some guy form Sheboygan used one time. BMW Welt has already delivered 150'000 cars this way since 2007.

* No, you don't have to do safety inspection again - these are standard US models.
* Yes, you have to pay import, registration taxes etc. The ED discount option today you pretty much just get 7% off which is the U.S. dealer fee, so it's currently not a lot of money ($5k to $10k) - it pretty much just means a free European trip to most people.

e.g.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/mail-o...o-germany-to-pick-up-his-4-series-gran-coupe/
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10-m5-discussion/311233-my-epic-m5-euro-delivery.html
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847260
http://necessaryindulgences.com/2015/10/bmw-european-delivery-2015/

BUT that is the situation as it is today. You get a cool European trip for free, but not much more. The discount isn't significant enough for more of an incentive.

HOWEVER, the topic under discussion here isn't today's tax state-of-affairs, it's the "FairTax" proposal, and the idea that you can simply replace income tax with a sales tax that is collected by the final reseller.

That means you're asking BMW Dealers in the U.S. to collect 30% federal sales tax extra on their BMW, which BMW Munich won't have to do. That pretty much blows the US dealership business out of their water - it would all but guarantee that every single BMW sale is an E.D. sale. It also means the tax collection from those sales are non existent.

Ok, let's say we don't care about the BMW dealers (which... we really don't), but we at least just want to get the taxes for that sale. "FairTax" has no way to deal with that. But the 2 obvious ways are:

a) You collect a 30% federal import tax. Which would be WTO suicide and the retaliation would pretty much immediately kill Intel, Caterpillar, Terex, JLG, Boeing, Textron (incl. Cessna & Beechcraft), Ford, Tesla (yeah, I know you'd like that one...)
b) You create a 30% registration tax. However, now suddenly "FairTax" isn't just simple sales tax anymore. It's sales tax + registration tax, with the associated organizations you need to create to deal with registration tax on a federal level.

Except... registration taxes only work on things that are actually registered such as cars, airplanes and yachts. What do you do with other large-ticket consumer items such as Jewelry, Clothes, Art... pretty much everything that you buy in Milan or Dubai? It would mean yet more federal infrastructure to collect taxes on those sales, which I know you'll LOVE. But those are MUCH harder to track than income taxes, so you'll pretty much have to start figuring and declaring sales tax on every line item of your bank statement & VISA bill... which of course your Bank will have to submit to the Federal government... which sounds like an even worse bureaucratic nightmare than we have now.

Last edited:
FairTax" proposal, and the idea that you can simply replace income tax with a sales tax that is collected by the final reseller.

That means you're asking BMW Dealers in the U.S. to collect 30% federal sales tax extra on their BMW, which BMW Munich won't have to do. That pretty much blows the US dealership business out of their water - it would all but guarantee that every single BMW sale is an E.D. sale. It also means the tax collection from those sales are non existent.

Curious where you get the 30% from. The Fair Tax people have calculated 23% as the number that would replace what is currently collected. The 23% replaces the current corporate income tax, which is 35%. I know you like to use BMW, what percentage of cars sold in the U.S. are BMW's?

And isn't the definition of "earn" the real rub? If I get paid 100K yearly from my employer, but through my own hard work and risk assumption I bring in an additional 50K through investments and/or rental income why should that additional 50K be taxed? I've already paid tax on that money when I "earned" it from my employer.

The debt at the end of the last Clinton budget was $6 trillion, rounded up because what's a few billion between friends....so a lot of stuff prior to GWB was put on a credit card.

Yes. I like honest taxes.

Just 'fess up and call it like it is:

1. If you want to tax hotels as some sort of luxury tax, just tax the hotel owners 13% of their gross, and quit lying about it being merely a "pass-through" tax on guests. It's like saying that I'm not really paying an electric bill because I'm merely withholding it from my guests, which insults my intelligence.

2. If you want to tax goods and services, fine, just tax the owners 8% (or whatever your state charges) on all their gross income, and quit lying about it merely being a "pass-through" tax on consumers.

3. If you want an employment tax, fine, just tax employers 25% of the gross they are paying each employee, and quit lying about how we are simply "withholding".

4. If you want income tax on top of employment tax, fine, send every citizen a post card that says they owe 10% (or whatever) of their take-home pay.

I just want government to QUIT LYING.

An aside: As we approach a cashless society, the government will soon have the ability to make the so-called "pass-through" taxes (described above) truly pass-through by instantly collecting the tax each time you swipe your card. This will completely remove the businesses from the equation (which I will initially welcome) and will open the door to an endless array of initially small but ultimately egregious micro-taxes.

We are already at the point where we rarely see cash in our business. It won't be long until the bureaucrats, in conjunction with the (already uber-powerful) credit card companies, figure this one out. If you think taxes are crazy-high now, just WAIT till they get that ability.

You can't mix Fed - State - Local taxes in the same lumps, and have an intelligent discussion. That insults everyone else's intelligence.

For example, without knowing your local Motel Tax, I am guessing that is a Local Tax that was proposed, passed, and agreed upon by people in your local City - District - County as a way to provide services. Lodging taxes are a great way to tax people who can't vote for those passing the taxes, and collecting money from people who don't vote locally, and aren't around all the time. And, visitors to hotels seem to like using Local services (ie... someone to clean up all that nasty red seaweed that collects on Texas beaches).

It seems like 99% of my hotel bills around the country have a Lodging Tax on them (as do 98% of my car rentals) and yet, the tax does not prevent me from staying one less hotel night per year.

And, it seems like new hotel construction in my area is second only to new hospital construction. Hotel taxes don't slow down the industry.

If you don't want to pay Lodging Tax, how much are you willing to see your commercial property taxes go up to cover the services needed by the local jurisdiction to provide the services?

And isn't the definition of "earn" the real rub? If I get paid 100K yearly from my employer, but through my own hard work and risk assumption I bring in an additional 50K through investments and/or rental income why should that additional 50K be taxed? I've already paid tax on that money when I "earned" it from my employer.

No, why does "earn" only apply to you if you have an employer?

The efficient allocation and provision of Capital, Labor, and Intellect are all worth being taxed. Everybody brings something different for value.

Why should a guy who trades a Hedge Fund for a living only be taxed at a low rate while a guy who swings a hammer gets taxed at a higher rate?

Curious where you get the 30% from. The Fair Tax people have calculated 23% as the number that would replace what is currently collected. The 23% replaces the current corporate income tax, which is 35%. I know you like to use BMW, what percentage of cars sold in the U.S. are BMW's?

FairTax is 30% at the register. It's 23% as a percentage of salary. (Markup vs. discount effect). See:
http://fairtax.org/faq

Specifically the 5th item on their FAQ:
"I know the FAIRtax rate is 23 percent when compared to current income taxes. What will the rate of the sales tax be at the retail counter?
30 percent. This issue is often confusing, so we explain more here..."

As per your BMW question - I'll give you even one better - and restrict it to only the luxury versions ($90k+) of BMW 7/Merc S/Audi A8/Jaguar etc. That is about 100'000 out of 17m total sales, or 0.6%. But ask yourself the question, what % of Americans are 1%'ers ...?

I'm not saying FairTax is wrong at the poor and middle class level (it's good in a lot of ways - e.g. it addresses the "Hedge Fund" argument in the post just before this one) - but it's at the upper middle class and beyond level that it runs off the rails and makes it easily avoidable.

Also interestingly from the FAQ, FairTax explicitly does not tax international items - they obviously realize how big a bureaucracy this will take. See "What about border issues?" in the link above. It basically dismisses this as an issue (and also seem to think Canada & Mexico are the only other countries which have interesting products to offer), but unfortunately their hypothesis that revenue neutral means price neutral simply isn't correct.

Last edited:
You can't mix Fed - State - Local taxes in the same lumps, and have an intelligent discussion. That insults everyone else's intelligence.

The split in different government entities is purposeful sleight of hand, a sham designed to camouflage the real tax rate. By splitting it into a dozen or more "jurisdictions", they are able to keep THEIR rate "low", and under the radar.

Property tax allows us to view this phenomenon as a microcosm. This tax, unlike most, is specifically made up of bits from several jurisdictions (city, county, school) who have no control over one another and, in fact, barely communicate with each other. As such, it is perfectly representative of our tax system as a whole.

Here's an example of how this system fails the People: Our city CUT property tax rates in response to citizen outrage. People are literally being taxed out of their homes here, and we are now facing an affordable housing crisis -- a huge problem in a tourist destination, where most jobs are low paying service industry jobs.

The County, seeing the opportunity, RAISED assessed values by a huge factor, more than offsetting the city's cuts. End result: Property taxes skyrocketed again. The City is now contemplating suing the County, but we all know how that ends. You and I will be long dead before that's resolved.

The property tax system (as with most of our government) is maintained by bureaucrats, for bureaucrats, with the specific goal of keeping citizen input minimal and themselves in power. The goal was to keep themselves well padded and invulnerable -- and it has worked like a charm.

From where I'm sitting, the only rationale way for citizens to assess their tax rate is to view government as a monolithic whole. Only then do we get the real picture and can grasp the magnitude of the problem. Only then can we make the sweeping changes needed.

The alternative is to play the bureaucrat's game, as described above, where we will surely get lost in their purposeful minutiae, their goal being to stymy, delay and frustrate at every turn. This strategy, practiced by bureaucrats at every level over the last several decades, has led us inevitably to the enormously grotesque government we now endure.

Only sweeping changes that address the system as a whole stand any chance of success -- although, admittedly, that chance is tiny. Sadly, until we do address it as a system, not merely as parts, we will literally be nickeled and dimed to death.

Last edited:
The split in different government entities is purposeful sleight of hand, a sham designed to camouflage the real tax rate. By splitting it into a dozen or more "jurisdictions", they are able to keep THEIR rate "low", and under the radar.

Property tax allows us to view this phenomenon as a microcosm. This tax, unlike most, is specifically made up of bits from several jurisdictions (city, county, school) who have no control over one another and, in fact, barely communicate with each other. As such, it is perfectly representative of our tax system as a whole.

Here's an example of how this system fails the People: Our city CUT property tax rates in response to citizen outrage. People are literally being taxed out of their homes here, and we are now facing an affordable housing crisis -- a huge problem in a tourist destination, where most jobs are low paying service industry jobs.

The County, seeing the opportunity, RAISED assessed values by a huge factor, more than offsetting the city's cuts. End result: Property taxes skyrocketed again. The City is now contemplating suing the County, but we all know how that ends. You and I will be long dead before that's resolved.

The property tax system (as with most of our government) is maintained by bureaucrats, for bureaucrats, with the specific goal of keeping citizen input minimal and themselves in power. The goal was to keep themselves well padded and invulnerable -- and it has worked like a charm.

From where I'm sitting, the only rationale way for citizens to assess their tax rate is to view government as a monolithic whole. Only then do we get the real picture and can grasp the magnitude of the problem. Only then can we make the sweeping changes needed.

The alternative is to play the bureaucrat's game, as described above, where we will surely get lost in their purposeful minutiae, their goal being to stymy, delay and frustrate at every turn. This strategy, practiced by bureaucrats at every level over the last several decades, has led us inevitably to the enormously grotesque government we now endure.

Only sweeping changes that address the system as a whole stand any chance of success -- although, admittedly, that chance is tiny. Sadly, until we do address it as a system, not merely as parts, we will literally be nickeled and dimed to death.

Well said

Keeping in mind that different areas of the country have different structures, your cries about "sham" and "sleight of hand" show you don't understand the structure of political entities.

Where I live, I can be a resident of a School District (and elect my school board members, vote on my school bonds to assess taxes on me) in a unique jurisdiction that includes parts of a City (but not all the City), parts of a county (but not all the county). All of us who live in that school district have the opportunity to vote the level of taxation we want, and we have. (Then, the State has authorized the County to collect taxes on behalf of the School District.)

I live in the County, and as such, I need fire protection (the local Fire District boundries include the City, and parts of the County). I also need police protection, and the County Sheriff provides that service, along with 911 for the County, and the 6 cities in the County. Every few years, I get the opportunity to vote for the County Commissioners I want to run the County and the Budget, plus, if I cared, I could comment on the Budget process. This is the largest chunk, provides for the courts, the Sheriff, DMV, Jail, etc.

I also live in a unique ambulance district, which was created for a differenent geography than the County and the Cities. It has taxing authority, and we have some sort of elected board that sets the budget. Can't remember if I ever vote for that.

My house happens to be just across the road from the City Limits, and across the street from a City Park. Since I am outside of the City Limits, the City has no taxing jurisdiction on me, and, I get to freeload off other City residents as I use the City Park for free, 6 days a week, plus, my property values are likely going up living that close to a new City Park.

So, every year, I get a Tax Bill from the County Treasurer who then collects my money on all the assessments and levies and then divides it to the Agencies. The single bill is not to confuse, it is simply a more efficient way of collecting the taxes.

My Bill looks like this, kind of:

County: $xxx.xx
Fire: $xx.xx
Amublance $x.xx
Mosquito Abatement: $0.xx
School Dist General $xxx.xx
School Dist Facility $xx.xx

There is no "sham", there is no "sleight of hand", all my property taxes are ones that the people in my community felt are needed, and, we have the opportunity to vote the people administering them in and out of office, and, in many cases, we even directly vote on the $$$ being spent as we approve/deny school bonds, jail bonds, fire station bonds, ambulance stations etc. All of these services are local, they are not the responsibility of the Federal Government nor the State Government, and as such, you can't "lump" them with all your other taxes for a monolithic view, assuming a desire to have an intelligent conversation.

You should have assumed by now that they do not want to have an intelligent conversation. Just a lot of bluster and poorly thought out replys. Much like watching the current front runner for president.

You should have assumed by now that they do not want to have an intelligent conversation. Just a lot of bluster and poorly thought out replys. Much like watching the current front runner for president.
A reminder that we do not allow partisan political sniping here. There is a reason the Spin Zone is gone. If this persists the thread will be closed.

No, why does "earn" only apply to you if you have an employer?

The efficient allocation and provision of Capital, Labor, and Intellect are all worth being taxed. Everybody brings something different for value.

Why should a guy who trades a Hedge Fund for a living only be taxed at a low rate while a guy who swings a hammer gets taxed at a higher rate?

Why do I have to pay tax on money I invest since it's been taxed already? My investment, stocks or real estate, fuel the economy, when you tax something that has already been taxed you deter people from investing.

Why do I have to pay tax on money I invest since it's been taxed already? My investment, stocks or real estate, fuel the economy, when you tax something that has already been taxed you deter people from investing.

Why would you not pay taxes on certain forms of income?

You want special types of income exempted? Welcome to a much longer and complicated tax code.

Why should items I purchase be taxed? Consumer spending fuels the economy.

And nobody is deterred from investing if they have income tax on investments. What are they going to do with it if they don't invest it?

Why would you not pay taxes on certain forms of income?

You want special types of income exempted? Welcome to a much longer and complicated tax code.

Why should items I purchase be taxed? Consumer spending fuels the economy.

And nobody is deterred from investing if they have income tax on investments. What are they going to do with it if they don't invest it?

The fair way to tax is as I described above, take the amount required, divide it by the number of citizens, send each a bill. Things would get fixed quickly if everyone were responsible for a true fair share.

Of course, they'll stick it in a wonderful 0.25% savings account and pay taxes on that huge interest income.

And the bank will lend it out a 6% and provide capital to fund new businesses, or lend it at 20% to consumers on credit cards.

The fair way to tax is as I described above, take the amount required, divide it by the number of citizens, send each a bill. Things would get fixed quickly if everyone were responsible for a true fair share.

What would get fixed quickly?

You think poor people need to pay more taxes? How much can you collect from people without money?

"Liberalism is a mental disorder."
-Michael Savage

You think poor people need to pay more taxes? How much can you collect from people without money?
Give us a justification, a faiiiir one, where someone who earns 100K should pay a higher percentage than someone who earns 50K. They are already paying MORE.

The REAL reason there is a "progressive" (oh that word) marginal tax system is to impede the accumulation of wealth.

I keep hearing fair share, I proposed a fair tax system. If everyone were required to pay their true fair share the out of control spending would be nipped in the bud. There would be a revolt. What is so hard to understand?

Pretending they're not all the same thing, actually is more insulting.

Name a local government that doesn't operate a significant percentage of their operating budget with grants from higher level government. Those aren't free money, much as the locals would like to pretend.

You talk a good talk about it being locally voted and controlled but once the slime bags are in office they happily go hunting for "matching funds" from higher level government entities and pretend that their constituents don't also pay for that money and the interest.

It's a Ponzi scheme if you step back and look at it. All based on loans. Big loans. Loans big enough that other nations can leverage us with them.

Anyone see what the Saudis recently did in response to possible legislation to allow them to be tried in US court for monetary/Civil damages as a result of 9/11? They said if our Congress even tries it, they'd immediately sell off their positions in our Treasury. Roughly 20% of issues are controlled in one fashion or another by the Saudi government.

Talk about "too big to fail". Who's going to bail out the Fed when another nation state threatens to crash their little loan party they're maintaining to keep the fake standard of living up for those who continually vote to spend on debt?

From the King of the sound byte, cut and pasted from a Party website, this was pretty darn funny to read.

We'd better get serious about the fact that we've created entitled brats throughout our society at all ages and levels with our broken political system pushing two giant debt-spending organizations that only want to grow themselves and their power and aren't in the slightest about efficient service of the People. That's not partisan, that's just fact.

People actually believe that because they live here they deserve things now. That's the root of the problems we face. Had a lovely dinner party with about 100 Russian immigrants last night for a giant birthday party. They all think, and I do mean every one of them we talked to, that allowing government more power is an extremely bad idea. Gosh, I wonder why.

They all want to be here for the opportunities afforded them here but they all felt our idiots are going to ask for and get all the government they deserve, and it reminds them of how the worst decades of their lives began.

I'd be fine with @JoseCuervo 's idea that local government is truly disconnected from levels above it, and we were voting on truly local things only and thus, had some reins to pull in when the locals get out of control with spending and won't tell the truth that they simply can't afford some things. Problem is, that's not how it really works.

My County paid $600,000/mile to pave 4 miles of dirt road nobody needed paved, and when pressed as to why it was so expensive or how that matched the fake "conservative" principals of the politicians who did it, they did two things: Pretended they were "insulted", and screamed "But but but we got half of it paid for with a State grant!" Yeah, jerks... I also pay State taxes and on the interest on State bonds, and the State pension plans are virtually bankrupt and are going to cost orders of magnitude more than anyone is admitting. So was that "grant" really the "free" money you make it out to be to save your jobs? Not a chance in Hades.

Think about the price tag, too. Anyone paving road privately isn't going to pay $600,000 a mile. Not even close. That's the "we know we can charge more when government wants a road paved" price and that's AFTER a bid process. The corruption is tangible and real across the board because people know government money is backed by nothing.

There's nobody saying the account is empty and can't support those prices. They just issue another bond or mill levy and keep spending spending spending. It's fake and unsustainable and folks don't want to see it. Especially folks that want government bigger and someone to take care of them, who are not very good at this who "adult" thing.

Normal non partisan people aren't interested in supporting the Parties and their excess anymore but we get little real opportunity to tell either group of big spenders living on everyone else's bucks and loans we'll be paying for generations, to shove off. "We didn't need the road paved" falls on deaf ears at the bureaucracy.

The system even convinces politicians who claim not to be spenders (they're in denial) that they didn't spend it. $2.3M flushed straight down the toilet for a road we all called "the summer shortcut".

Pretending all the taxation districts and multiple levels of bureaucracy are not a part of a whole is just the result of a very deep and ingrained indoctrination that harkens back to when these levels of government weren't hopeless intertwined, on purpose, as a design technique to hide the total cost.

Net bottom line divided by services rendered is the ONLY way to measure it. Ratcheting up taxes incrementally at each level to make it look politically correct and small, is not just disingenuous. It's a lie. Propagated to allow politicians to maintain power. Social engineering at its finest.

"But half of the road was FREE!" exclaims the stupid shortsighted County Commissioner. Because he honestly believes that crap.

Nobody sane believes there shouldn't be taxes and government services in society. What the issue is, is the overall all-in price vs value received. Four miles of dirt road paved that didn't need to be paved for $2.3M isn't a good value for anyone unless you can prove it saved $2.3M elsewhere in the budget.

Basic budgeting 101. There's nothing particularly difficult about it until you add two power-mad political parties to the mix who control the media and the loan money and always vote the debt higher to maintain their fallacy that they're doing their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back