Illinois trying to pass a mileage tax.

Virginia surcharged hybrids and electric cars on their renewals. After some suitable uproar, it was rescinded on hybrids (I got my money back for my Volt which the state considers a hybrid rather than a "range extended" EV as GM styles it).

I've gotten a few warnings for going too fast through E-ZPass tolls (many in New York have 5 mph limits), I got one for not updating one of my vehicles on their records, and I got one telling me that there was a problem with my transponder and it needed to be replaced; but I never received any actual tickets or fines. I've only gotten warnings.

I do know people who swear that they were fined, but I have my doubts.

Rich

I don't think the law allows them to ticket based on elapsed time on EZ-Pass. Heck, in most jurisdictions speed cameras (with radar and pavement markings) need special laws to permit ticketing (DC has hundreds of speed, red-light, and stop-sign cameras, over 300 speed cameras alone). In 2013 they hauled in $75 million for the DC government.

http://www.photoenforced.com/dc.html

It's not the elapsed time on EZ-Pass. They're talking about the speed through the toll booth lanes themselves. And no special laws are needed in this case. It's a civil issue that you agreed to when you signed up for EZ pass (the upside, is it's only monetary, no points or notification to your insurer).

It's not the elapsed time on EZ-Pass. They're talking about the speed through the toll booth lanes themselves. And no special laws are needed in this case. It's a civil issue that you agreed to when you signed up for EZ pass (the upside, is it's only monetary, no points or notification to your insurer).

Yep. I got a warning (not an actual ticket) for going 65 through one of the express toll lanes. Even though the speed limit on the highway was 65, the speed limit going through the toll lane was lower (I think 50). The limits through actual booths vary from 5 to 25.

I don't know if they give you a certain number of warning before fining you or revoking the transponder. I think I've gotten two or three speed warnings and one warning for not updating my vehicle in the many years I've had the thing (beginning in the 1990s).

Rich

Last edited:
I'd be seriously worried about getting rear ended if I ever went through some of the Chicago toll plazas at anything close to the posted speed limit.

I have a hunch that any fee or tax collected by governments is rarely or ever used for the stated reasons for collecting the fee or tax in the first place. Governments always grow, and their need for additional capital to support that growth is insatiable. If this "tax" does not go through, another one will, but more than likely both, then a whole lot more down the road. (so to speak.)

-John

There have been a lot of discussions, using accumulated mileage, using GPS, using time of day on certain highways, based on GPS reporting. All because the funds raised on the per gallon fuel tax is dropping with better fuel efficient cars.

They already get our annual mileage data every year at smog check time. They know miles are driven is up but tax revenue is down.

A GPS dongle on the car, reports every quarter for miles, but also highways driven and time of day.
Commute on the main interstate through the city during peak commute hours, pay a higher rate.

Many options have been discussed, many fought, no solutions. But if they go the mileage route, then the per gallon tax must be eliminated.

.... But if they go the mileage route, then the per gallon tax must be eliminated.

pWZcFlzsoB5EA.gif

No smog checks or vehicle inspection checks or any other sort of checks here that gives an annual mileage in my state.

Illinois is bankrupt ! Why does anyone still live there ? Get the hell out before the whole place collapses !

Corrupt government... What incentive does the government have to operation efficiently? Road maintenance probably costs 4 times what it would if it was managed privately. There is no end to the madness and this, in part, explains Trumps rise.

Lets try to keep the political banter and comments to a minimum folks. As for the Tax, well PA has a Liquid fuels tax that goes to road improvements it is doled out depending on the miles of road ways in any given town. Greater vehicle efficiency has had a noticeable effect on the dollars available for road Mx.

It's about a tax. There's absolutely nothing more political on the planet than that @AdamZ. Other than war.

It's about a tax. There's absolutely nothing more political on the planet than that @AdamZ. Other than war.
But we can have adult discussions about taxes and other subjects without a descent into government bashing and partisan bickering.

But we can have adult discussions about taxes and other subjects without a descent into government bashing and partisan bickering.

Ah yes. This website's current ongoing group fantasy -- especially amongst management -- that heated and passionate political discussion is somehow not "adult" or is flawed behavior in some way. Or that the 40% of American adults who vote Party lines every time they vote have opinions not worthy of being heard.

Back