Cross country layovers.

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
planning an a long cross country,from west coast of Florida,to Texas,New Mexico,Kansas,Oklahoma back to Florida. Any recommendations for overnight stops and stops with good airport diners. Thanks

This is where Foreflight was clutch for us. I did a FL to CA flight, and although we would set a plan for each leg we rarely stopped where we planned...instead, pulling up fuel, resources around each airport and accommodations when we decided to ultimately stop. Some like the structure of a plan and knowing where to stop, we had a blast just going with the flow and making it up as we went and the airport information and resources in Foreflight made that more possible and predictable on the fly.

Wound up in po-dunk town BBQ's with beater crew cars and single strip runways in the boonies that were manned by the 75 year old vet that would take a picture of every plane that landed to put it on the wall...you can't plan a lot of that!

There may be some must see's along the way...but I suggest to just fly dat-a-way and see what you find!

Thanks I also like to use air nav while taking long trips.

Fredricksburg, Texas. Great Diner and fantastic "Aviation Themed" hotel right on the airport. Very nice, reasonable.

Destin FL, airport almost on the beach. Restaurant called 'Back Porch', right on the beach, get ya some grouper or amberjack. Not far from the airport, maybe 2-3 miles. They used to have crew car, not sure if they still do.

Last edited:
Where in KS are you looking to go. There is a good BBQ place on the field at Miami County just SW of KC. If you are up for it there is a cool little town in the middle of no where east of Wichita that has a grass strip and a restaurant....and by little I mean it barely exists (http://beaumonthotelks.com/). There are some interesting things to do in Wichita I would recommend the Zoo and the Kansas Aviation Museum and landing at Augusta (3AU) Stearmen (1K1). Stearmen also has a great restaurant on the field.

My free app will tell you where the courtesy cars are. Currently over 1590 of them. Hope that helps. Glenn

Thanks Glenn,doing a fly around for a couple of weeks. So your help will be very useful.

Wherever the winds lead me. Probably through mid Texas east to west ,in KS up around Haynes .

Last edited:
Wherever the winds lead me. Probably through mid Texas east to west ,in KS up around Haynes .

A couple of fuel discounts in those states if you use my app, 25 cents off per gallon at KGCK Garden City at Saker and KPKV Port Lavaca at Calhoun, other discount locations listed in the app and more coming, FYI.

Fredricksburg, Texas. Great Diner and fantastic "Aviation Themed" hotel right on the airport. Very nice, reasonable.

This is a must-do. The Hangar Hotel ( www.hangarhotel.com ) is very nice (much nicer than you're expecting), and teh FBO on the field has rental cars (call ahead, they're nice). Lots to do in town, go see the Museum of the Pacific War, much expanded from when it was "just" the Chester Nimitz Museum. Admiral Nimitz was from Fredericksburg.

Might also consider a visit to Marfa (KMRF), far west Texas. I love it there.

Back