Donut Etiquette

There's always hope.

Bring in a dozen Krispy Kreme's from when the "Hit Dinuts" sign is flashing, it's physically impossible to cut them, they just collapse. Warm, soft, sugary paradise! Just had some last week . . .

This is pure evil!:yikes:

Why? Just WHY???????
That was some kind of quiche by the way.IMG_3044.JPG

My favorite thing to do is to leave just enough so that someone else has to throw away the package. I don't really care if they get any enjoyment out of the crumbs I leave behind, I just don't want to be the guy that throws the package away.

Is that so bad?

My favorite thing to do is to leave just enough so that someone else has to throw away the package. I don't really care if they get any enjoyment out of the crumbs I leave behind, I just don't want to be the guy that throws the package away.

Is that so bad?

Sounds like my sister and me dealing with refilling ice trays when I was a kid. One cube left was clearly just refusing to fill it. But the line got fuzzy after that. I actually started drinking my ice tea without ice just to avoid the hassle and fighting over it.

John

We had these thermos coffee pots at the office that you got the coffee out of by pumping a lever on top. You could tell by the feel when it was getting low and a lot of people were adept at being careful not to pump it to the empty point (it makes kind of a farting noise when it gets there). Reminds me of kids playing the game Kaboom!

Maybe they come from a culture where it's impolite to take the last piece. I didn't learn that until I was... about 20.

Needless to say, that was too late and I would have no problem eating that last piece of quiche.

Maybe they come from a culture where it's impolite to take the last piece. I didn't learn that until I was... about 20.

Needless to say, that was too late and I would have no problem eating that last piece of quiche.

I have no problem eating the last piece. And carbs notwithstanding, I have no problem eating quiche. I actually had some of the aforementioned quiche. It was pretty good.

A friend of mine cut a pizza into 9 equal pieces one time.

At the US Military Academy (a.k.a. West Point) underclassmen are (as reported to me by multiple graduates of said institution) required to ask their table at dinner who wants desert (between 0-8), then cut the said desert into exactly that many even pieces. Uneven pieces risk the displeasure of the upperclassmen. I know of two who related tales of spending time in the barracks practicing with templates to get 3, 5, 7 pieces of pie or cake.

John

That's why I'm a big fan of cupcakes instead.

At the US Military Academy (a.k.a. West Point) underclassmen are (as reported to me by multiple graduates of said institution) required to ask their table at dinner who wants desert (between 0-8), then cut the said desert into exactly that many even pieces. Uneven pieces risk the displeasure of the upperclassmen. I know of two who related tales of spending time in the barracks practicing with templates to get 3, 5, 7 pieces of pie or cake.

John
That right there is why I would never make it in the US Military Academy (a.k.a. West Point)

That right there is why I would never make it in the US Military Academy (a.k.a. West Point)

Yup, I'd hate to see what they'd do to the poor SOB who has to cut it into zero pieces.

Same here. I'd just eat the damned thing and tell them to go find their own. I understand the whole "traditions" thing and how it builds camaraderie and blah blah blah, but I really don't put up with BS like that very well. I'll tolerate it if there's no other option. I'd be doing push-ups or cleaning the latrine. And I wouldn't care...

At least in the military it might serve a purpose... I always just shook my head and wondered "WTF?" when I saw people putting themselves through stupidity for Fraternities of any sort, college or adult.

The funny thing is I could have had a seat at Annapolis coming out of high school if I wanted it, but I didn't want to go that route. Although I did go in to the military.

Reference the attached picture of a box of donuts. Someone, please explain to me the logic. I don't understand it.

As a preface, I don't eat donuts anymore anyway, so it's not a personal aggravation. Back when I did, the convention was to take -a- donut and eat -a- donut. Occasionally, and it didn't happen real often, someone would cut a donut in half, take a half and eat a half. I'm not a half donut eater. I'm a donut eater. I never wanted your half donut.

Fast forward to today. We have several half donut eaters. Actually, fractional donut eaters at that. That isn't even my issue though. I understand the logic, they want to cut down on portion sizes and control their caloric intake. I get it.

Well look at the photo. You will see that there are two identical donut halves. Trust me, both halves belonged to separate donuts. So you KNOW that there were at least two half donut eaters that wanted the same type of donut.

WHY didn't half donut eater #2 eat half donut eater #1's other half before eviscerating a perfectly good whole donut?
What happened to the photo?

Time to set up a webcam/social experiment. Post the URL so we all can watch and see who is doing it and HOW they are doing it...
(All hands or utensils to cut? Are any being "mishandled" and then put back in the box? Think Ariana Grande or maybe frat boy style.)

Time to set up a webcam/social experiment. Post the URL so we all can watch and see who is doing it and HOW they are doing it...
(All hands or utensils to cut? Are any being "mishandled" and then put back in the box? Think Ariana Grande or maybe frat boy style.)

I don't know what other kind of abuse might occur to the poor confectioneries. Setting up a webcam might create a liability issue.

What happened to the photo?

I'm not sure, I did some cleanup a while back and I think I accidentally zotted some photos.

After some post-induced Googling, how the heck did you know about Ariana Grande's donut licking video?

John
LOL
They would never stoop to such at that US Air Force Academy.

Same here. I'd just eat the damned thing and tell them to go find their own. I understand the whole "traditions" thing and how it builds camaraderie and blah blah blah, but I really don't put up with BS like that very well.
I don't know about camaraderie, it's discipline, and intimidation. I put up with it from TI's in the Air Force, but wouldn't from fellow trainees.

The funny thing is I could have had a seat at Annapolis coming out of high school if I wanted it, but I didn't want to go that route. Although I did go in to the military.
Well, I enlisted in the Navy because I didn't want to be drafted into the Army. It wasn't like I wanted to go. But I thought that the whole officer/enlisted thing, and all that getting ordered around was a bunch of BS. I did what I had to do, put in my four years, got my honorable discharge, and got out of there.

Well, I enlisted in the Navy because I didn't want to be drafted into the Army. It wasn't like I wanted to go. But I thought that the whole officer/enlisted thing, and all that getting ordered around was a bunch of BS. I did what I had to do, put in my four years, got my honorable discharge, and got out of there.

I did the same except I did the USAF, didn't want to be on a boat for 6-9 months why I didn't go Navy. It is BS during basic and tech school, but once you're at your first assignment it not that bad. I stayed for 20 and don't regret it. Got my BS, used the GI Bill for all my certificates (except PPC). Saw different parts of the world, including a couple I didn't want to see! Had a great view from the control towers I worked, approach not so much. :D

Last edited:
speaking of donuts, that's what I got in my logbook for the month of March.....a big fat donut. 0 hours in March, wtf. just went to get checked out in that overpriced cherokee and winds were gusting pretty hard so we rescheduled for Sunday. stinking donut.

When I see the last donut in a box, I like to take a knife and cut it so I get about 90% of it and leave the last 10 percent for the next person. Drives 'em crazy (which is the point). Even better to do it to two of them if there are 2 left....

:D ;)

My dad did the same thing (except he was a Navy officer.) Going in to some branch of the military just seemed like a given since it was literally about the only life I knew. Because of my eyesight at the time (I got Lasik later), I could never have became a military pilot. I enlisted in the Army because at the time, they had a program where you could go in with two years of college, get a commission, and make the last two years up later. I didn't follow up on the commission, but I did do my four years and left as an E5, with a nice fat college fund.

Seems like an invaluable skill when it comes to the future defence of the nation and all that...:rolleyes:

Back