Advice? Flying to Sedona airport from So Cal...

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
....tomorrow.

Any advice on approach and landing? And what to do for a few hours?

The airport is on a plateau as I recall. Makes it a little different as to how pattern altitude "seems". Find out if they have a courtesy car?

As for what to do? Use every function on the GPS. Every one. Also, look at the scenery

enjoy it. Ive made the flight probably about 10 times so far. pick up flight following, hang out, look at the scenery, etc. Know TPA, entry/approach is just like any other airport but its on top of a mesa. Usually some decent crosswinds and if youre landing on runway 21(this seems to be the most common) you may get a few small downdrafts right before the runway as there is a small hill a half mile or so before, but nothing crazy. Other than that, its an awesome airport to go to. One of my favorites and has really good food!

I want to make this trip myself once I am in something a little quicker than a 172. Let us know how it went!

The runway is sloped, so typically, landings are on 3 and takeoffs are on 21. Pilots there will accept a maximum 10 kt tailwind component. Do a analysis per the AFM to determine where your trade-off point is. Here is a link which is consistant with my experiences in flying there. http://mail.lancair.net:81/lists/lml/Message/62631-02-B/SedonaLocalPilotswisdom2.pdf.
Make radio calls on each leg of the pattern and keep your head on a swivel -- lots of sightseeing. Expect wind shear and make a steep descent.

When I go, I usually stay several days. If I could only stay there a few hours, I would have a meal at the restaurant and book a ride with Pink Jeep Tours. Otherwise, Airport Mesa is one of the best places to be in Sedona -- motel, restaurant, airport, and magnificent views in all directions.

Sometimes AWOS will report winds calm but you will have a pretty strong tailwind if landing 3. Dont be afraid to land 21 and do what you want. Don't let other pilots dictate what you do. As said before many pilots will take the tailwind on for the downhill 21 departure. If you try to land 21 with the tailwind and downhill it's gonna be interesting. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Back