An non-towered airport near KFRG (other than Brookhaven)?

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
Pretty much the vast majority of my flights (during training and after) have been at towered airports. I have very little experience in non-towered flight ops. I know the procedures, call outs, etc but I just need more experience. I know Brookhaven is close by but that place is a zoo and I would like something a bit less hectic. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Well, you could go to FRG after 10PM, or Brookhaven after dark.

You can PRACTICE nontowered procedures using a landmark like a straight road. Just don't land.

khto you get to play with the vor and the vor a approach and dme if you have it

Sky Acres (44N) has a nice restaurant. Block Island is always fun and it's not too busy for now.

Pretty much the vast majority of my flights (during training and after) have been at towered airports. I have very little experience in non-towered flight ops. I know the procedures, call outs, etc but I just need more experience. I know Brookhaven is close by but that place is a zoo and I would like something a bit less hectic. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Head down to NJ- Monmouth (BLM), Old Bridge (3N6), or Lakewood (N12).

hold off on block island and montauk for a while and mattituck or bring a instructor

Head down to NJ- Monmouth (BLM), Old Bridge (3N6), or Lakewood (N12).
Lots of stuff outside the bravo in NJ. BLM is a cake walk as far as runways go. The main one is over 7000 feet, but there is a small crosswind one also. If you want quiet you may want to avoid, they get a lot of corporate jet traffic. Old Bridge is quiet, just do not land on the drag strip, it looks like a nicer runway than the runway. Lakewood is a short runway at about 2500 feet.

If you go more west You get Robbinsville (N87) which is usually quiet, and has a decent 4000 foot strip, and nice people. Princeton and Central Jersey are also out that way, and normally quiet. Those three would take you about 30 minutes plus to get too. I did my night XC from Robbinsville to Republic.

I like the East Hampton suggestion. It's non-towered until Memorial Day correct?

I like the East Hampton suggestion. It's non-towered until Memorial Day correct?
East Hampton landing fee is insanely expensive. I forget the exact price, but it is high.

Just break out a sectional and look for the uncontrolled fields nearby. Go explore.

If you get the timing right Brookhaven isn't that bad, although the last time I flew in there we had six people in the pattern, pretty damn cool and efficient.

You won't like this:
From the chart supplement (AKA A/FD) remarks for HTO: Ldg fee for all tran acft to include touch and go ops.

I fly out of Brookhaven. If you go early in the mornings( about 8am) or most weekdays it's really not bad at all. Just don't go around 930am when everyone and their uncle is looking to go flying and you should be fine.

44n is a great non towered airport but I would not say that's close. It's incredibly busy on most weekends but again I've had great luck getting there early in the morning( before 9.) The restaurant closes at 3 so I'd imagine if you went late in the afternoon it would be mostly quiet. I flew there once on a day when the restaurant is closed( before I knew it was closed Monday-Wednesday during the off season) and the airport was a ghost town!

Never been to Meriden KMMK but I've flown over it a bunch going North to Hartford and Barnes. It always looks like a nice small airport.

If you want some real fun uncontrolled field. Go to spadaro or even mattiuck.

Brookhaven can definitely be busy but you'll find quiet hours. Try Westerly, RI it's not that far and pretty easy to get in and out. Plus cheap fuel. Depending on how experienced you are go for Montauk. It's an interesting approach but nice runway.

Back