Seat height issue

TylerSC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TylerSC
I sit a couple inches too low in my Cherokee 140 - is there a particular seat cushion anyone here would recommend?

Thanks!

Yes. I would recommend a cushion under the pilot's seat. If you put it under that particular seat then the cushion will be useful. :)

Cheap padded kitchen chair cushions work well. Easy to find, easy to replace. Target, Y'allMart, Home Despot, etc.

Oregon aero makes some great cushions,although are pricey.

A short(ish) pilot friend of mine uses an Oregon Aero cushion whenever he comes with me in the right seat of the Aztec, otherwise he can't see over the glareshield. I have not flown with it, but did use it at the campsite at OSH and it's pretty nice. Probably has a "pretty nice" price tag too, but I wouldn't know :D

I use a tapered gel-filled pillow the wife bought me. SHE stacks three cheap chair cushions, the kind that tie to the chair back supports.

Yes. I would recommend a cushion under the pilot's seat. If you put it under that particular seat then the cushion will be useful. :)

It will help even more if you put the cushion between the pilot and the seat. If it's under the seat it might as well be left in the hangar.

It will help even more if you put the cushion between the pilot and the seat. If it's under the seat it might as well be left in the hangar.

Earning a PPL today...$$$

Owning an airplane today...$$$$$$

Lurking about POA...priceless

I guess it depends on which seat we're talking about. ;) Smack dab under the seat of your pants. :D

I'm 5'5 and pretty much just got used to looking at the glairshield of most planes. I use a 1 inch cushion in my Archer, nothing special. I found anything more is just not comfortable/awkward... that being said, the Oregon Aero "Soft Seat" looks nice. But damn, if you are going to spend that much, you might as well just sell the Cherokee and buy a Grumman Cheetah, that plane has great visibility for us short people.

I have a couple of old throw pillows in the Luscombe, one for sitting on and one for back support. They tend to slide around quite a bit as I'm settling in the cockpit, but they are quite comfortable once in place. I have a foam stadium seat for the pax, and it's pretty much useless. lol

Last edited:
Having a local upholstery shop make new seat cushions that fit you isn't an expensive project.

s-l1000.jpg

My wife had a Nelson cushion which she really liked. I've used lots of Oregon Aero stuff to fix up my headphones, so I have no complaints there either.

I guess it depends on whether it is the pilot seat or the pilot's seat.

I like Oregon Aero.

Back