First Thoughts: OSH 2016

It is really quite simple. You do a standing room only forum for forty years, haul between 35 and 50 pounds of test equipment from California to The Show in either your airplane tied down at the departure end of 09 or your car in the far end of Scholler to do the forum, write about your forum and other stuff in a well known aviation magazine every month for twenty five years and bingo, you get a cart for exactly one hour and thirty minutes to drag all that crap to and from the forums tents. Simple.

Jim

I see them and they are not volunteers, not EAA, not anybody special that I can tell. Just folks in golf carts. Families in golf carts.

So something's going on and I ain't a part of it is all I know ... :idea:

Speaking of volunteers, has anyone stayed the week and volunteered one or two days? What was it like?

You can't get a golf cart,but just about anyone can rent a power scooter. You are supposed to be disabled for the scooters,but they don't realy check. It's all about the money.

I'll be flying up in my own plane for the first time this year. It'll be my second trip. Bringing my brother along for his first Airventure experience. I'd love to catch a few of you POA yahoos up there.

Speaking of volunteers, has anyone stayed the week and volunteered one or two days? What was it like?

I've volunteered in various amounts. You certainly can volunteer as much or as little as you like. I'm pretty much encamped in the Vintage Flight Line Operations so that's all I can tell you. We do just about everything from marshalling in airplanes to crowd control during the airshow to answering "Hey, rubes" when something bad happens like One Eye'd Jack crashing his jet into our taxiway. Training is done every day at 9AM or 1PM (you only need to attend once per year). Other vintage-area volunteer opportunities are listed at our volunteer booth out in front of the Vintage Red Barn. Other volunteer booths around the field can tell you about other opportunities.

Subaru to Oshkosh again. $1.50 for car gas vs. $4.00 for avgas is a no-brainer.

Who all is going and what and how and where and why?

Jim

Jim,

I submit that you haven't fully done the value/cost comparison, but picking up,a,trailer is outside the gasoline price comparison issue.

BTW (oh, that's by the way) avgas was only $3.39/gallon at McClellan yesterday, in the dead center of California ( our term of endearment for Sacto)... And there's cheaper avgas to be had eastwards, if you shop online.

SWMBO's been around since before the Internet... Maybe not in your demographic?

And thanks again for the help in converting your intercom to stereo about 30 years ago. Still got it in a box somewhere, but the newer plane had a stereo audio panel with integral intercom... :)

Paul in Berkeley

"Hey, rubes" when something bad happens like One Eye'd Jack crashing his jet into our taxiway. .

Does he still fly in after what he did, and then tried to blame the controller?

You guys looking for golf carts are aiming too low. Last year walking back from Grant and Leslie's party, a recently off duty school bus stopped, picked us up and took us back to the North 40. Now THAT was service! :)

Back in the 1990s I used to arrive early every year and volunteer for flight line ops for the busy days before show opening. Hot work some days in the sun, but a lot of fun and always a great group of people. Fantastic way to "ease into Oshkosh". I missed 13 years in a row when I was living overseas.

I just discovered PoA earlier this year (ya, I'm trying to figure out the answer to that question too... :D ). Not sure I'll make it this year, but if I do I'll be camping with the airplane, golf cartless and therefore hoofing it around the place like everyone else apparently.

Back in the 1990s I used to arrive early every year and volunteer for flight line ops for the busy days before show opening. Hot work some days in the sun, but a lot of fun and always a great group of people. Fantastic way to "ease into Oshkosh". I missed 13 years in a row when I was living overseas.

I just discovered PoA earlier this year (ya, I'm trying to figure out the answer to that question too... :D ). Not sure I'll make it this year, but if I do I'll be camping with the airplane, golf cartless and therefore hoofing it around the place like everyone else apparently.

Well, be sure to stop by the annual HOPS Party, held on Wednesday at our site in the North 40. It's a lot of fun, and you'll usually meet a bunch of POA regulars.

We're you ever on the rec.aviation groups, back in the 90s?

Well, be sure to stop by the annual HOPS Party, held on Wednesday at our site in the North 40. It's a lot of fun, and you'll usually meet a bunch of POA regulars.

We're you ever on the rec.aviation groups, back in the 90s?

Thank you for the invitation.

As July approaches my various and sundry excuses for not flying in this year are being demolished by SWMBO, so almost certainly will make the trek. Will look forward to coming by and putting some faces to the names.

Negative to the question.

You guys looking for golf carts are aiming too low. Last year walking back from Grant and Leslie's party, a recently off duty school bus stopped, picked us up and took us back to the North 40. Now THAT was service! :)
Oh good, he found you. We forgot to mention that we had worked out a deal with the bus service.;)

Just look for the light up Texas tampon.
lol The odds of the batteries still working in that...thing...after a year in the OSH Trailer (that we store in a barn for 51 weeks each year) are pretty slim.

We will have to get another beacon of some sort.

haven't decided whether we'll do the bonanzas-to-Oshkosh on sat and camp with that group in the N40, or fly in solo on sunday and camp in vintage. We've done both and each has it's good points.

haven't decided whether we'll do the bonanzas-to-Oshkosh on sat and camp with that group in the N40, or fly in solo on sunday and camp in vintage. We've done both and each has it's good points.

Based on the experience of being one row over from the B2O group for an entire Oshkosh week, I came to the conclusion their true, but unstated motive is to make the rest of us feel our lives are empty and un-fulfilled because we don't fly Bonanzas. A more aeronautically evangelical bunch would be difficult to find, even at Oshkosh :D

Based on the experience of being one row over from the B2O group for an entire Oshkosh week, I came to the conclusion their true, but unstated motive is to make the rest of us feel our lives are empty and un-fulfilled because we don't fly Bonanzas. A more aeronautically evangelical bunch would be difficult to find, even at Oshkosh :D
their (our) goal is simply to camp together with people that we know. I love vintage and hate the N40, the only way to get me to the N40 is to camp with those folks.

EAA Auctions the use of a golf cart off every year (https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news...oliday-auction-sharing-the-spirit-of-aviation) You missed it for this upcoming year though.

Used to get always get golf carts working with one of the shows major sponsors. But that always cost around $50,000+ to become a major sponsor. That's a lot of money if you're just looking for a golf cart, but you do get your name on a building too! It is nice having a golf cart when you are there 10 plus days and working.

The EAA also has a group of volunteers driving around in golf carts just looking for people who might need or want a ride and are supposed to offer it to them. One of my friends has this volunteer gig and he loves it.

EAA Auctions the use of a golf cart off every year (https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news...oliday-auction-sharing-the-spirit-of-aviation) You missed it for this upcoming year though.

Used to get always get golf carts working with one of the shows major sponsors. But that always cost around $50,000+ to become a major sponsor. That's a lot of money if you're just looking for a golf cart, but you do get your name on a building too! It is nice having a golf cart when you are there 10 plus days and working.

The EAA also has a group of volunteers driving around in golf carts just looking for people who might need or want a ride and are supposed to offer it to them. One of my friends has this volunteer gig and he loves it.

That happened to us a few times last year.

their (our) goal is simply to camp together with people that we know. I love vintage and hate the N40, the only way to get me to the N40 is to camp with those folks.
It's always funny how people perceive the same things differently. We like Vintage okay, but absolutely love camping in the North 40. Even though we could now camp in Homebuilt, in our RV, we keep going back to the N40 cuz that's where all the action is, and all the great restaurants are right there.

That, and the nightly "performances" of arrivals/departures on Rwy 9/27. That's the REAL airshow, IMHO.

That, and the nightly "performances" of arrivals/departures on Rwy 9/27. That's the REAL airshow, IMHO.
I can imagine you guys laughing at my "performance" of a landing last year :)

It was pretty bad... lol

I can imagine you guys laughing at my "performance" of a landing last year :)

It was pretty bad... lol
We've actually been showing the video of it at the hotel all year.

Just kidding. But I did see it at an FAA Wings seminar.

We are adding 6PC to the normal group going this year, it will be his first time there. Being his first time he's going to get spoiled by camping in HBC he will be hooked for life. I bet he comes home and sells the SR22 and starts building. :)
I normally leave Wednesday morning but I would like to attend Jays GTG so we might hang another day.

We are adding 6PC to the normal group going this year, it will be his first time there. Being his first time he's going to get spoiled by camping in HBC he will be hooked for life. I bet he comes home and sells the SR22 and starts building. :)
I normally leave Wednesday morning but I would like to attend Jays GTG so we might hang another day.
If 6PC and Mrs. 6PC are in attendance, it should be epic.

I will be flying in again but this time will be camping in Camp Scholler with friends. I want to experience that aspect of it so far I've always camped in the north 40.

I've decided after owning my bird for 4 years its about time I make the pilgrimage to OSH as I've never been. I've already decided I will be going this year! My plan is to fly up in my plane from DAB - OSH, probably make a nice trip out of it and stop overnight along the way somewhere to visit some friends.

I did the North 40 twice, Scholler once (with my EAA chapter), and the rest of the time in Vintage. Vintage is where it's at.

I will be flying in again but this time will be camping in Camp Scholler with friends. I want to experience that aspect of it so far I've always camped in the north 40.
Kitplanes is running my feature article about camping in Scholler in the August '16 issue due on the news stands about the first of July. Might be some interesting stuff in there for you, or I can send you a preprint copy if you like. I'll probably get the author's proof sometime around the first of May.

Jim

It's a VERY different experience. Almost like a completely different event.

Both good, mind you. Just different.

I thought you were a Dorm guy, Jim.

I ...um... was with a dorm lady for 25 years and enjoyed every minute of it (you should pardon the turn of phrase).

The lady in blue off to the left is a hardcore camper (backpacking in the Rockies and all of that stuff) and we've compromised on a tent, either under the wing or by the Subaru. And I'm enjoying every minute of it for the last 4 years (blush).

Jim

I've got the 2015 beer bottles wired up with flashing LEDs to wave in itinerant airshow performers to the HOPS party.

Ummm if you used all of Jay's beer bottles, that's enough lighting to replace the runway lights all the way around 9/27! ;-)

Back