Apple iOS 9.3 Update

Plus good luck jailbreaking on 9.3

What is jail Breaking?
When you jailbreak a phone you make it where you can add apps not approved by Apple. That allows much greater customization. The downside is that you open the device up to malware since Apple is no longer vetting what you put on your phone. Also, Apple usually fixes the exploit used for the jailbreak with each big OS revision. That means staying with an older OS release and hoping for a jailbreak on the new one.

Some security improvements from jailbreaking too

Got the message to update from Apple,about twelve hours later got the info from foreflight. I always wait a few days before updating.

Also problematic for iFly users: "The new iOS 9.3 has created a "map color" issue with the iFly GPS 9.4 version. We do not recommend updating to the new OS just yet. A fix is currently in the works."

No problem with FlyQ or WingX on 9.3

I doubt there will be any major issues with Foreflight.

I never update early on... It always seems better to let other people discover the bugs first.

What is jail Breaking?

Jailbreaking is hacking the phone OS so you can do more than the manufacturer wanted you to. In the iOS model, it means hacking the kernel and bypassing the Digital Rights layer of software. Doing this lets you load your own software and allows you to do a lot of crazy things which were never thought of or approved by Apple. But you're taking responsibility for everything, including the fact that if you do it wrong you can wind up locking the phone up and making it completely useless.

The term jailbreaking refers to the fact that there is a lot of power and flexibility inherent in the OS which is locked up by Apple so the end user cannot access it.

I'm having a weird issue installing 9.3 on my iPhone.

It installed fine on the iPad, but on the phone (5S) it downloaded and every time I try to install it and accept the user agreement, it fails saying that I am no longer connected to the Internet (which is silly since I can access the Internet just fine). Doesn't seem to matter if I'm using wifi or cell for Internet.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

It installed fine on the iPad, but on the phone (5S) it downloaded and every time I try to install it and accept the user agreement, it fails saying that I am no longer connected to the Internet (which is silly since I can access the Internet just fine). Doesn't seem to matter if I'm using wifi or cell for Internet.

Yes, this is a very well known colossal f***-up by crApple (they should really start testing the sh*t they put out).
No real fix. We have to wait for 9.3.1 that might install.
Patience, please.

Go into Settings -> Storage and iCloud Usage -> Manage Storage ... Scroll until you find the update that was downloaded and delete it.

That'll force it to have to re-download the update instead of trying over and over again with the same bad file.

It's a pretty big file so it'll be near the top for most folks.

If that doesn't work, plug it into something running iTunes and let iTunes do the download and update.

I went ahead and updated my iPad Air2 last night.

After doing so, I went to check a few sites in Safari, and was surprised to find the pages were loading slightly, but noticeably, faster.

Don't know if it's a change in Safari, or the way its handling Wifi from our AirPort Extreme, but something did make it faster.

Anyone else notice this?

9.3.1 has been out for a few days

If that issue persists with 9.3.1 re-boot your device and try it again.

Back