Rental Mooney 3/18

Farmboy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Farmboy
Maybe this was posted already and I can't find it, but beyond the obvious kudos' to the kid for putting it down and walking away, the thing that strikes me is that an operator actually rents out a Mooney? I suppose it could be a club, but does anyone else see Mooney's or other complex airplanes available for rent from FBO's?

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/03/video-teens-reflect-on-emergency.html

Lots of complex planes for rent, not a whole lotta mooneys 'round here though.

I got my commercial in a rental 1967 M20C. I was 18 at the time. The airplane was on the rental line, and quite popular, until some dip**** landed it gear-up, claimed the gear collapsed on landing. Post-crass inspection revealed that was unlikely.

520nm trip in a M20C. Fuel starvation?

If they departed with full fuel, no. Anything less, maybe. Range on my 67E is 700 nm's with full fuel (52 gllons) and a reserve.

There aren't a lot, but some FBO's have Mooney's for rent. Last count I saw just online was about 8 flight school's and FBO's that have them (C's through J's).

Cheers,
Brian

If they departed with full fuel, no. Anything less, maybe. Range on my 67E is 700 nm's with full fuel (52 gllons) and a reserve.

There aren't a lot, but some FBO's have Mooney's for rent. Last count I saw just online was about 8 flight school's and FBO's that have them (C's through J's).

Cheers,
Brian

Eh. Who knows but if you don't lean out a 180 hp engine 520 nm is risky clip on 52 gallons if I'm running full rich and 2700 rpm I'm burning about 14 gph at 140 kts...you're close to running out. Not saying this is what happened... But I wouldn't quickly discount the possibility.

Eh. Who knows but if you don't lean out a 180 hp engine 520 nm is risky clip on 52 gallons if I'm running full rich and 2700 rpm I'm burning about 14 gph at 140 kts...you're close to running out. Not saying this is what happened... But I wouldn't quickly discount the possibility.

I've done many a 600nm leg in my M20C and always had at least 9 Gallons to spare. I generally get around 8.5gph. Even full rich, full throttle, prop forward I think you could do 520nm without running out, but I couldn't imagine anyone actually flying that way. The Mooney is a very efficient bird. If they started with full fuel, I find this scenario somewhat unlikely. We don't know starting fuel load though, so it's certainly not out of the question.

As for the original question, there is a J model available for training on my field, and many other high performance and complex aircraft available to rent in the area including a number of twins, Bonanzas, and Cirrus.

Have some time in a mid 60's mooney at a flying club. Loved the plane but was always very nervous flying since it did not have shoulder restraints (only lap belts) and the dash is so close in those planes. From the video they said their heads both hit the dash, so apparently theirs only had lap belts also.

Relieved they are ok, but I would bet they would have walked away without a scratch if there were shoulder harnesses installed.

Have some time in a mid 60's mooney at a flying club. Loved the plane but was always very nervous flying since it did not have shoulder restraints (only lap belts) and the dash is so close in those planes. From the video they said their heads both hit the dash, so apparently theirs only had lap belts also.

Relieved they are ok, but I would bet they would have walked away without a scratch if there were shoulder harnesses installed.

Yep, our club has a couple 172 that don't have shoulder harnesses and I'm really uncomfortable flying them. We had a Mooney go down at KMKC in 2013 where the pilot and passenger were decapitated by the glareshield. This kids are really lucky. Kudos to the pilot. Even if it is a fuel starvation, the ability to walk away from this speaks to his skill and ability.

I have flown my M20C on trips of 400-420 nm many times, using about 30 gal. That leaves me 22 gal reserve, or 2-1/2 hours. Endurance with full fuel is generally 5:30 or better, longer than I want to go.

The news says the second leg was 1:45, so I'm doubtful he tried running after the tanks filled upmwithnair. But you never know,meh could have forgotten to switch tanks . . . Or the engine could have swallowed a valve, or dumped the oil, etc.

My 67 M20C will do 650 mile legs with one hour reserve (zero wind). 65% cruise between 7-10K at 8.7 GPH and 142 Kts. It helps to have a JPI with fuel flow so you can carefully track fuel consumption and properly lean. If they did not fill up (52gallons), or had a heck of a headwind, or both all bets are off. I suppose if they flew low at full throttle/RPM and full rich you might also cut it close. Not unheard of for a rental I guess.

Back