Best ways to assign homework?

pilot_joe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pilot_joe
Not everybody is the ultra-driven, self-motivated student that studies their a** off when they're not in the airport. That I figured out pretty quickly. But the sad reality is that a good deal of learning and insights happen outside the airplane, mostly while the student is either chairflying, studying, or thinking about the flight on their own.

Anyway, to the point, what is the best way to assign homework to a student so they can at least have a chance to gather as many insights before the next flight?

I was thinking something like 5 to 15 questions from the PHAK on a sheet that they have to bring before the next activity...

Anybody got some insider secrets they want to share?!

Show them what the lessons cost when they don't study.
Show them what the lessons costs when they do study.

If they are meant to be a pilot, they are by nature a cheap-ass, and will study.

But really, homework? How old are your students? 7?

I just go over what we just flew and assign anything pertinent. Brief on the next lesson, what we'll be doing, and what to read/study and prepare for. I usually just ask random oral questions at various times also. If you use a syllabus the student should know what to study, along with the CFI too. They don't always prepare of course, so I probably will get on them a bit. :D

Last edited:
Show them what the lessons cost when they don't study.
Show them what the lessons costs when they do study.

If they are meant to be a pilot, they are by nature a cheap-ass, and will study.

Well, most of them are pretty sharp... and broke! So they'll be pretty self-driven. But every now and again, you got the one guy who just wants everything spoonfed. Even if it costs an arm and a leg.

My experience is motivated students will do it with little prompting. Unmotivated students need a carrot and a stick. How that fits into an aviation. Syllabus I'll never know.

THe back of the each chapter in the Jepp book has questions that are relevant. Or you could assign quesitons from the test database. Give him the list of questions and tell him to write down the answers and bring them to the next lesson.

My experience is motivated students will do it with little prompting. Unmotivated students need a carrot and a stick. How that fits into an aviation. Syllabus I'll never know.
Come to the lesson prepared, I buy you lunch.

Come to the lesson unprepared your buying lunch for me and anyone else hanging about the FBO.

I never really "assigned" homework, I told them to start working through the king videos and start reading the POH. They had to pass a pre solo test, their normal written and a mock check ride before sitting down for the big show.

If they aren't motivated to handle the stuff on their own there is nothing you can do, fly with them as long as you ethically feel you can and then kick them to another CFI for a second opinion and perhaps the "try golf" talk.

If my CFI gave me homework, I would have punched him in the mouth. Not hard. Just enough to let him know that I'm a grown a** man. (kidding, I love Matt)

But to be fair, my cheap/broke ass read the PHAK "cover to cover" and the Jeppesen book cover to cover before I even STARTED my PPL.

Last edited:
I never really assign "homework." I just tell them to look up XXXX for next time, we will discuss it and I will ask you questions about it. If they don't do the work, I happily spoon feed it to them and they pay for my time.

I would just try to reinforce the importance of self study... wouldn't call it homework, wouldn't assign a series of questions but give suggestion reading or reference.

If my CFI gave me homework, I would have punched him in the mouth. Not hard. Just enough to let him know that I'm a grown a** man. (kidding, I love Matt)

But to be fair, my cheap/broke ass read the PHAK "cover to cover" and the Jeppesen book cover to cover before I even STARTED my PPL.
Adults shouldn't get homework?

I guess I did grad school wrong.

I find that attitude baffling, along similar lines as "checklists are for wimps." Even if you disagree, assaulting your instructor is not an adult way to go about that.

I find that attitude baffling, along similar lines as "checklists are for wimps." Even if you disagree, assaulting your instructor is not an adult way to go about that.

I don't think he/she was serious. Did you read the whole post? :rolleyes:

The "stick" is cancellation of flights.

That doesn't always make sense but if the self-study assignment is related to the flight, it can be used periodically in a targeted way.

The most obvious example is probably a dual cross country in which the student is asked to come to the lesson with a flight plan already prepared. No flight plan? No cross country flight. But it can be used for other lessons as well. Next lesson is turns about a point? Look for the student to explain them to you as part of the preflight briefing next lesson. Not prepared? The flight time gets taken up with the ground session. They other thing the student will find, even without cancellation, is that their preparation will make the flight lesson easier.

That doesn't always make sense but if the self-study assignment is related to the flight, it can be used periodically in a targeted way.

The most obvious example is probably a dual cross country in which the student is asked to come to the lesson with a flight plan already prepared. No flight plan? No cross country flight. But it can be used for other lessons as well. Next lesson is turns about a point? Look for the student to explain them to you as part of the preflight briefing next lesson. Not prepared? The flight time gets taken up with the ground session. They other thing the student will find, even without cancellation, is that their preparation will make the flight lesson easier.
Exactly. My students that put the time in before the lessons got to fly and got their license quicker than ones who didn't come prepared. Like I said in my other post, if the student doesn't do the homework, I will happily spoon feed it to them and they will be charged for my time.

With college students...
If I am collecting (and grading) homework, most will do it. But not all.
But, I have one class this semester with 43 students - I'm not going to do all that grading - so I give them a quiz with one homework problem on it. You can tell who didn't do the homework. The last exam also had a problem straight out of the homework (changed one numeric value). Again, some think they understand the material, but when they find out they don't, it's too late.
$1025 per credit for a 3 credit course, and more than one will be taking the class again.
Good luck.

I only got assigned "homework" once. It was to write 50 times "thou shalt not descend below the minimum descent altitude until thou has the runway in sight".

Yes. What did you think we called it?

I called it studying, homework sounds as though you get an assignment and you have till next class period to complete it.

Why would you do that?

I'll be happy to launch on a cross country flight, I get paid, fly around in a airplane, student blows a couple hundred and feels completely behind the 8 ball, lesson learned and I'm sure it will be the last time they don't do their ground work, they also get to learn the possible consequences of flying without proper planning

I called it studying, homework sounds as though you get an assignment and you have till next class period to complete it.

Well, that's more or less what it was. Generally weekly, rather than next class period, though. All through four years of undergrad and the first two of grad school (plus one extra course I took the last year). No instructor got punched in the mouth for it.

Why would you do that?
Because my student having good study habits and learning is more important to me than getting paid.
I'll be happy to launch on a cross country flight, I get paid, fly around in a airplane, student blows a couple hundred and feels completely behind the 8 ball, lesson learned and I'm sure it will be the last time they don't do their ground work, they also get to learn the possible consequences of flying without proper planning
Just in case,
midlifeflyer said:
Don't mis-comprehend what that says. I use the "behind the 8-ball" method also. As well as others. I'm very flexible and choose the method that will work best with the individual student.

You would be surprised at some students' mental age. So yes, 7 might actually be in the ballpark.
That's why I do not envy teachers or CFIs. Not all students are smart. Heck, most students aren't smart (at least that's what my CFIs and CFIIs keep telling me). Many are also lazy. Not smart + lazy = not a good day for the CFI

I have not yet run into a student pilot that won’t do the homework I recommend.
I make an effort to make the homework relevant to the next flight or some short term goal.
Part of the preflight ground school is discussing what they have learned and if they are prepared for the flight.
I am a new CFI (November 2015) and have only had 32 students so far and only one recommendation for a check ride so perhaps I have just been fortunate to have avoided recalcitrant student pilots.
I suspect a student who was not motivated to learn would take some of the joy out of teaching for me.
I would probably suggest they seek out a different CFI who was better suited to their learning style.

What? You've never had an instructor ask you to go home and work on a plan for cross-country to such-and-such a destination?

You would be surprised at some students' mental age. So yes, 7 might actually be in the ballpark. That's why I do not envy teachers or CFIs. Not all students are smart. Heck, most students aren't smart (at least that's what my CFIs and CFIIs keep telling me). Many are also lazy. Not smart + lazy = not a good day for the CFI

You are correct. We have evidence in this very thread of people believing homework is only for children.

What? You've never had an instructor ask you to go home and work on a plan for cross-country to such-and-such a destination?
You are correct. We have evidence in this very thread of people believing homework is only for children.

No, because I already had them planned out. But I was also a minimum time guy. Even so that would be different than needing to send them home with a quiz after every lesson to bring back the next time.

I don't think he/she was serious. Did you read the whole post? :rolleyes:

So you were able to read the part in the parenthesis? I was scared for a moment that the parenthesis made the text invisible on some screens. Glad you caught it. ;)

I have not yet run into a student pilot that won’t do the homework I recommend.
I make an effort to make the homework relevant to the next flight or some short term goal.
Part of the preflight ground school is discussing what they have learned and if they are prepared for the flight.
I am a new CFI (November 2015) and have only had 32 students so far and only one recommendation for a check ride so perhaps I have just been fortunate to have avoided recalcitrant student pilots.
I suspect a student who was not motivated to learn would take some of the joy out of teaching for me.
I would probably suggest they seek out a different CFI who was better suited to their learning style.

32 students and 1 recommend?

Are you providing only doing BFRs and endorsement type training or just spot checking folks?

He mentioned he just picked up his CFI 4 months ago. If he'd been assigned 32 brand new students, having the 1 finish in 4 months ain't bad.

Are you providing only doing BFRs and endorsement type training or just spot checking folks?

I think of myself as a full service CFI.
I have not done any BFRs yet but expect to soon.
The recommendation for a check ride was for Private Pilot, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane. He is an ATP and has a private rotorcraft, helicopter rating. We will see how it works out. He flew to practical test standards or better and handled distractions well.
Most of the pilots under instruction I am working with are working toward a sport pilot or Private Pilot, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane. One is working toward a Rotorcraft, Gyroplane CFI rating.
Some just wanted a few hours of dual so they can find out if they like flying a gyroplane.
I ask them to read the gyroplane portion of the Rotorcraft Flying Hand book and the solo requirements in the FAR before their first lesson. For most people it is about four hours of homework.
I recommend two hours of ground and two hours of dual for their first lesson. The dual is broken into two sessions.
Seeking a gyroplane rating is quite a commitment of time and money so I encourage people to budget properly and recognize the commitment they are making.
I only know of one other Rotorcraft, Gyroplane CFI in California who has an experimental gyroplane with a LODA so I feel there was a pent up market. I suspect things will slow down soon.
So far I have been having a lot of fun and I have been learning as much as I teach.
People have been very tolerant about my inexperience and don’t seem to mind teaching me to teach them to fly.

Last edited:

Let's say he has only private students. Let's say the average student based on average hours requires 30-35 hours of training time to get their private and of course him only signing off one. Let's say they are all 3/4 of their way through their training. 32 students @ 27 hours is 864 hours. Even if you could get 40 hours of training in every week, that's 21.6 weeks to get all that in - or about 5 months. Counting backwards from now, 5 months is October. He got his CFI in November. If you did the the math...

Let's say he has only private students. Let's say the average student based on average hours requires 30-35 hours of training time to get their private and of course him only signing off one. Let's say they are all 3/4 of their way through their training. 32 students @ 27 hours is 864 hours. Even if you could get 40 hours of training in every week, that's 21.6 weeks to get all that in - or about 5 months. Counting backwards from now, 5 months is October. He got his CFI in November. If you did the the math...

30-35hrs average? I'll have what he's having, more like 60 with most folks.

I wasn't knocking Vance BTW, just wasn't sure what role he had at the school.

Think when I started out I had like 8 or so students, half zero time, couple basically zero time and a finish up, ended up probably getting half done by the time I got anymore fresh meat.

I didn't really consider disco flights students, more like a interview for both me and the client, didn't get too many endorsement guys ether, think most of them were past students of mine.

Second CFI gig was at a career pilot school, so I personally saw my guys through from 0-CPL, so a couple recommends per student.

Last CFI position was the little school I started, ended up going from me instructing a few friends on to bringing another CFI on, around that time I did this thing where I only personably took on folks I knew, I'd solo them, get their first solo XC done then kick them over to our other CFI to be polished up for checkride, he was great for that since he was a super details type of guy, I didn't end up with many recommends like this, but the students did great and he got the recommends and the hours, which he needed more then me anyway and I still got paid for the hours he flew.

Seems like some schools there are CFIs who just are the spot check and trouble case guys, lots of students and work, very few 0 - finish students.

30-35hrs average? I'll have what he's having, more like 60 with most folks.

60 hours of TOTAL flight time for Private. Not all of that is training, and I even said "training time." Right now the mins are 20 training and 40 total. Take 40 and multiply by 1.5 you get 60. Take 20 and multiply by 1.5 and you get....

Use your head. Of course that would require you to take a break from being you.

I am not teaching out of a school.
I have too little experience as a Gyroplane CFI to know how long it will take me to teach people to fly safely.
The thread is about the best way to assign homework.
I mentioned the number of students and how new I am to quantify how inexperienced I am so that people would not misinterpret the value of my opinion.
So far I have not had a challenge with the people I am instructing completing their homework and I am a homework enthusiast and a ground instruction enthusiast.
I feel if the homework is relevant to the next lesson or a short term goal people who want to learn will do it. I try to make that connection when I give the homework assignment.
I expect I will find people who don’t want to do homework and I will deal with that when it happens.
I have several fixed wing instructor mentors and they feel my experience is divergent from theirs teaching people to fly fixed wing aircraft.
I have not given anyone 20 hours of dual instruction in a gyroplane so far.
I have only just begun and I have been having a lot of fun.

I have several fixed wing instructor mentors and they feel my experience is divergent from theirs teaching people to fly fixed wing aircraft.
I wanted to ask about that. How different are the students between FW and RW? You might be luckily in a field which attracts only smart people.

I wanted to ask about that. How different are the students between FW and RW? You might be luckily in a field which attracts only smart people.

I feel different in what way would be a better question.
So far all the pilots I have met (both fixed wing and rotary wing) appear to me to be above average intelligence so the difference would be motivation and level of commitment.

As far as I know in the USA there are no gyroplanes for rent and I don’t solo people in my aircraft so they need to own a gyroplane in order to solo and I transition them into that particular gyroplane and the solo sign off is for that particular gyroplane.
Because of this in my opinion most gyroplane students have made a higher commitment to learning to fly.

There is no compelling reason to fly a gyroplane and no money to be made. I feel this makes aviation decision making somewhat less challenging.

Gyroplanes have a terrible safety record so the pilots I instruct may have self-preservation a little higher on their training priorities.

Many of the people I instruct are coming from some considerable distance so they are more inclined toward blocks of time and have been punctual.

Because of the forgiving nature of gyroplanes (no stalls or spins) I can talk the student through most mistakes. I feel that makes it easier and quicker for them to learn.

Because a gyroplane flies very differently than a fixed wing or a helicopter I have to work hard with high time pilots to unlearn things that have worked for them in the past and don’t work well in a gyroplane.

The reason this thread was of particular interest to me is my fixed wing CFI mentors have trouble getting some of their students to do their homework. This has not been a challenge for me so far.

Go signup at Gold Seal Ground School. CFIs get full access for free. Then, get your students to register and you can monitor them in minute detail - see which lessons they've taken, see quiz scores, even see and print lists of questions they missed. Even if your students don't want to pay for the full ground school program, they can use the full quizzing engine for free and you can monitor their progress. You can even turn on emails so that you receive an email and quiz score whenever a student takes a quiz. With that, you don't even need to log in to the site to see if they're doing their homework.

www.OnlineGroundSchool.com

I appreciate the info guys!

Gives me a lot to think about. I guess there's only so much you can do as an instructor, motivation-wise. At least I know I'm doing my part by always doing a thorough pre/post-brief and always telling the guy how to prepare for the next lesson.

Him actually doing it? Well, that's another story I guess.

No compelling reason to fly a gyroplane AND a terrible safety record? Gee...sounds great...

;):cool:;)

I do actually understand that some people want to simply fly, or fly simply....and a gyroplane satisfies that

Back