CDI for Garmin 430W recommendations please

Pa28-140

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon Shumway
I have purchased a Garmin 430W and antenna for my Cherokee. Still need the CDI. The following have been recommended by the avionics shop: KI 206, GI 106/106a, Collins 351a, KI209a. Is one of these preferable over the others and why? Also, cost is always an issue. Is Ebay a good source or better to deal with a shop? Installation is scheduled for June so I have some time. Thanks in advance.

I have purchased a Garmin 430W and antenna for my Cherokee. Still need the CDI. The following have been recommended by the avionics shop: KI 206, GI 106/106a, Collins 351a, KI209a. Is one of these preferable over the others and why? Also, cost is always an issue. Is Ebay a good source or better to deal with a shop? Installation is scheduled for June so I have some time. Thanks in advance.

FWIW the Garmin brands are actually manufactured by these guys:

http://www.mcico.com/assets/products/ProductFliers/Flier_3-inchCDI_English.pdf

http://www.mcico.com/Default.aspx?CN=D42B68DB22EF

eBay is good, it's also nice becuse of the easy to view reviews and buyers protection.

If you're looking for a CDI for real IFR ops you're going to want a HSI, period.

I'd look at the sandel EHSIs, they are great functionality wise, work with multiple NAVs, can overlay airspace and airports, HSI and RMI for any nav, plus you don't need to adjust them all the time to your compass as they use a flux gate, gives you time to waypoint, ground speed, message notification from your garmin, etc

I have a sandel 3308 that I use with my 430/530/stec AP, and it's great.

yhst-10237233231589_2271_4380676

No doubt that is an awesome unit, but cost is a big factor. Plus, I checked and installing the HSI would add $1,500 to the install price. Would need to slave the compass, etc. Nice idea though.

eBay is good, it's also nice becuse of the easy to view reviews and buyers protection.

If you're looking for a CDI for real IFR ops you're going to want a HSI, period.

I'd look at the sandel EHSIs, they are great functionality wise, work with multiple NAVs, can overlay airspace and airports, HSI and RMI for any nav, plus you don't need to adjust them all the time to your compass as they use a flux gate, gives you time to waypoint, ground speed, message notification from your garmin, etc

yhst-10237233231589_2271_4380676

On the sandel 3308, did you compare total costs with something like an Aspen?

I'm looking at a 430w or gtn 650 but am faced with the same dilemma, 1500-2000 for a nav head, could be put into a sandel, or other pfd/mfd setup...

I chose the GI106A for my GTN-650. Not quite the same as the 430W, but I like the annunciators it has. It's very responsive and the OBS knob is silky smooth.

And of course, it's compatible :)

I'm not sure about the Sandel. It's nice looking but it has bulbs you have to replace since it's basically a projector. I don't need yet another thing with a maintenance window in my plane.

The Aspen was 15K installed. Might as well just buy two GTN-650's.

On my plane it came with the 3308, I have seen some good deals on eBay, but yeah it's going to cost more when compared to a simple nav head.

Between a 3308 and a MFD, to me it's a no brainer, a 3308 and a GNS or GTN is going to give you way better situational awareness compared to a DG, NAV head and a MFD, your scan is also a lot tighter, one look at the 3308 and you get the information of the DG, NAV and a MFD, less mileage for my eyeballs in the scan is always a good thing.

Now THAT is pretty darn cool. I've been looking at possibly adding an HSI. Little spendy, but hey - I figure I'll just keep pimping my ride for now....

...Aspen Evo 1000?

1000H-single-product-feature.png

However, I would think that if you just wanted to keep a CDI, the Garmin GI-106a would be the way to go.

No doubt that is an awesome unit, but cost is a big factor. Plus, I checked and installing the HSI would add $1,500 to the install price. Would need to slave the compass, etc. Nice idea though.

That would be a tough pill to swallow for a Cherokee 140. The 430w labor is bad enough.

...Aspen Evo 1000?

1000H-single-product-feature.png

However, I would think that if you just wanted to keep a CDI, the Garmin GI-106a would be the way to go.

Way more then a 3308 rig off eBay.

You may find an earlier version of the Sandel eHSI on the used market. Question for you, is you panel already cut for the CDI and it's not compatible? OR do you currently have no CDI? If you aren't filling a hole, go up a little more and HSI that DG spot. You'll never regret it.

Yup, then sell your old DG on eBay ;)

My avionics guy said for a 430 a KNI-520 will work and they are relatively cheap.

Darn you guys have got me perusing eBay for 3308s. I thought the big expenses would be live once we bought the plane.

The Garmin Gi 106 works fine coupled to a 430, have the aspen as the main CDI.

Back