suggestions on how to pay.

fumovox

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
fumovox
A little about myself I took my discovery flight last year in November, I don't make enough to afford things like this, I wondered if there low cost alternatives, everyone could benefit from your suggestions. as I'm sure a lot more people struggle with this than just me.

Welcome to the forum. You might want to look for a club,after you evaluate your finances.

There are scholarships and other awards out there you can apply for. Otherwise, you'll find plenty of tips and tricks to make things "cheaper" (ex: flying more often, joining clubs, shopping around), but no matter how much cheaper you make it, it's still going to be very expensive. That's just the unfortunate reality.

Heres how I did it...

I got my license when I was 22, I was delivering pizza's and had a little money coming in from my one weekend a month with the Army Reserve. I split an apartment with 2 other guys and owned my (20 year old) car, so I had no debt. I joined a flying club and flew once or twice a week for about 8 months to get my private certificate.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I got a job at the airport. Was able to use that money to pay for it. I also got rental discount, free flights sometimes to pick up parts or take a rental to get an inspection. Also got the keys to a few of the planes on the field by getting to know the owners.

whatever you do, do not borrow the money or go into debt. beyond that get on a written budget so you know where every dollar is going. adjust lifestyle to reduce outflow and increase income (2nd job, bartering at the airport, etc.) good luck to you.

Guys, don't feed the troll. I wonder if the mods have an easy way to x-ref the IP to recent member logins to find the actual poster. 6PC? Cap'n? Who's to blame for this barely-English post?

Guys, don't feed the troll. I wonder if the mods have an easy way to x-ref the IP to recent member logins to find the actual poster. 6PC? Cap'n? Who's to blame for this barely-English post?
Interesting. I thought for a moment it was @Frugal Pilot testing to see whether anyone is recommending his book or not.

@fumovox - you may want to build out your profile a little bit, including location so people don't think you're fake. it happens here more often than it should.

I've met people fro here in person and they still think I am fake :)

Depends on where you live. Somewhere where there is good lift, yeah. A flat lander? Not so much.

This is true.

But if you're in a glider friendly place I think it's the best option, also the only place I've seen folks get their ticket straight from volunteering around the club or bartering.

A little about myself I took my discovery flight last year in November, I don't make enough to afford things like this, I wondered if there low cost alternatives, everyone could benefit from your suggestions. as I'm sure a lot more people struggle with this than just me.
Funny how everyone says, "I don't make enough to afford this." and no one ever says, "I spend too much to afford this."

Funny how everyone says, "I don't make enough to afford this." and no one ever says, "I spend too much to afford this."
i made 3600 total last year so yea I don't make enough while the advice of people works in middle class not so good for below
While I understand dave ramsey ways of saving money, as well as investments I've never made more than 10000 a year and i was a couple thousand short then. while I grasp at saving and investing I really bad at making

Last edited:
all these are wonderful suggestions and you all are truly helpful thank you so much. I hope we can keep getting more

1. Gliders and then upgrade later.

2. Shop around. My PPL was $7k about 4.5years ago.

3. Scrimp and save. Do you NEED that smartphone with the unlimited data plan? How about eating out? Not saying you do these things, but they're all non-essential items we can cut from our lives if we really want something else.

I got a job at the airport. Was able to use that money to pay for it. I also got rental discount, free flights sometimes to pick up parts or take a rental to get an inspection. Also got the keys to a few of the planes on the field by getting to know the owners.
wonderful advice Ill try that I live in central florida there are a lot of schools here Ill give it a whirl

Well put! I know why I don't fly much...because I spend too much on my other hobby! :(

A few thoughts:
1) See if you can befriend anyone who is a pilot already. This community (POA) is a good place to start. Try FBO's or local aviation clubs as well. Facebook? Twitter? Whatever you can do. These people will help you get through your training, and may even enable you to cut corners on cost by piggy-backing off of their resources (e.g., if someone owns a plane or is training to be CFI or something). You may also be able to buy used headsets from these folks.
2) Start with the written test, and do that primarily through books (e.g., Gleim or ASA or ... much cheaper than online or human training). Getting that out of the way will help build confidence and reduce time you're paying an instructor to walk you through the basic concepts. If you have difficulty with concepts, ask your friends from #1, google (a lot out there), or utilize this forum as needed.
3) After written is passed, find an instructor who will show you a syllabus of what flying (and remaining oral) skills you need to learn in order to earn your license. It should look like a school syllabus, with approximate timing and some description of objectives. Ensure you read through the PTS to align the syllabus with checkride requirements. Know ahead of time what you're signing up for and take responsibility / ownership of your progress.
4) If you have a laptop, buy x-plane so that you can spend simulator time at home becoming familiar with gauges, equipment, checklists, etc.. It costs ~$60, and you can shave hours off of costly training by using it. You can use a mouse or cheap joystick (i bought one on ebay for $15), but no need to buy an expensive yoke control (which are typically $150).
5) See if there are airports in more rural locations around you (not sure where that is) - as they will probably have lower costs for everything (instructors, fuel, planes, etc.).
6) Also see if there are any clubs (vs. schools) near you, which might offer lower rental and instructor costs, but don't give you a brick-and-mortar school experience.
7) Be ready to make the tough decision to terminate your training if it's clearly out of your budget. I wholeheartedly agree with @rk911 that you should -NOT- borrow money for this, and I would add that you should not compromise your financial security either.

Finally, a fellow member on POA @Frugal Pilot wrote a book by the same name. I haven't read it, but he probably has a lot more ideas there which could help as well.

Good luck

A few thoughts:
1) See if you can befriend anyone who is a pilot already. This community (POA) is a good place to start. Try FBO's or local aviation clubs as well. Facebook? Twitter? Whatever you can do. These people will help you get through your training, and may even enable you to cut corners on cost by piggy-backing off of their resources (e.g., if someone owns a plane or is training to be CFI or something). You may also be able to buy used headsets from these folks.
2) Start with the written test, and do that primarily through books (e.g., Gleim or ASA or ... much cheaper than online or human training). Getting that out of the way will help build confidence and reduce time you're paying an instructor to walk you through the basic concepts. If you have difficulty with concepts, ask your friends from #1, google (a lot out there), or utilize this forum as needed.
3) After written is passed, find an instructor who will show you a syllabus of what flying (and remaining oral) skills you need to learn in order to earn your license. It should look like a school syllabus, with approximate timing and some description of objectives. Ensure you read through the PTS to align the syllabus with checkride requirements. Know ahead of time what you're signing up for and take responsibility / ownership of your progress.
4) If you have a laptop, buy x-plane so that you can spend simulator time at home becoming familiar with gauges, equipment, checklists, etc.. It costs ~$60, and you can shave hours off of costly training by using it. You can use a mouse or cheap joystick (i bought one on ebay for $15), but no need to buy an expensive yoke control (which are typically $150).
5) See if there are airports in more rural locations around you (not sure where that is) - as they will probably have lower costs for everything (instructors, fuel, planes, etc.).
6) Also see if there are any clubs (vs. schools) near you, which might offer lower rental and instructor costs, but don't give you a brick-and-mortar school experience.
7) Be ready to make the tough decision to terminate your training if it's clearly out of your budget. I wholeheartedly agree with @rk911 that you should -NOT- borrow money for this, and I would add that you should not compromise your financial security either.

Finally, a fellow member on POA @Frugal Pilot wrote a book by the same name. I haven't read it, but he probably has a lot more ideas there which could help as well.

Good luck
truly excellent advice! any idea on where to search for flying clubs i tried aopa and didn't find much in the way of clubs

I'm not sure how you can afford to eat or pay for housing much less flying. I think the best solution here is to increase your income. That should not be too hard. You shouldn't have a problem being able to make 20k a year if you are willing to work. Are you younger, or in school and living off your parents?

I'm not sure how you can afford to eat or pay for housing much less flying. I think the best solution here is to increase your income. That should not be too hard. You shouldn't have a problem being able to make 20k a year if you are willing to work. Are you younger, or in school and living off your parents?
im 26 btw ,I work its just that Im not sure what it is about me I have a hard time finding better pay most i've ever made is 8900 a year and my most well off friend makes only 12 continuously, Im also trying to get back into college to study physics. most internet resources focus on saving money not making it so learning about that has proven quite difficult. I am crazy good at figuring out how to take care of myself apparently.

This is really confusing. You are 26 years old and only capable of making $3,600/year? You'd make four times that flipping burgers at a fast food joint.

im 26 btw ,I work its just that Im not sure what it is about me I have a hard time finding better pay most i've ever made is 8900 a year and my most well off friend makes only 12 continuously, Im also trying to get back into college to study physics. most internet resources focus on saving money not making it so learning about that has proven quite difficult. I am crazy good at figuring out how to take care of myself apparently.

Hate to be a party pooper but you aren't really ready to be thinking about flying, IMO.

I'm not sure how you even make $8900/yr unless you're in business on your own (min wage is higher than that) and even then you'd have to work at it to make that little. I'm younger than you but make $25k (which feels embarrassingly low) and can still fly.

Where do you live/what do you do?

Hate to be a party pooper but you aren't really ready to be thinking about flying, IMO.

I'm not sure how you even make $8900/yr unless you're in business on your own (min wage is higher than that) and even then you'd have to work at it to make that little. I'm younger than you but make $25k (which feels embarrassingly low) and can still fly.

Where do you live/what do you do?
Well Im a sign spinner And I was hoping on creating a resource for others who are in a better situation than myself, to be honest

most i've ever made is 8900 a year and my most well off friend makes only 12 continuously, Im also trying to get back into college to study physics.

That is not even full-time work at minimum wage.

Do yourself a favor and forget Physics. Go to a trade school and learn Plumbing. Before long you will be making enough to afford flying.

No offense intended to those who are/were Physics majors.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a career. I'd recommend at the very least go to a local restaurant, fast food joint, Walmart, convenience store...you name it and apply. Any of those should give you well over what you're getting. My dad started at restaurants and was a very good waiter and earned excellent tips. He made connections that took him further.

There are signs everywhere (at least where I am, and I have a hard time believing your area is that different) for businesses hiring entry level positions. If you're willing to work as a sign spinner, any of those will be an improvement over what you're doing now.

Not sure how else to put it.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a career. I'd recommend at the very least go to a local restaurant, fast food joint, Walmart, convenience store...you name it and apply. Any of those should give you well over what you're getting. My dad started at restaurants and was a very good waiter and earned excellent tips. He made connections that took him further.

There are signs everywhere (at least where I am, and I have a hard time believing your area is that different) for businesses hiring entry level positions. If you're willing to work as a sign spinner, any of those will be an improvement over what you're doing now.

Not sure how else to put it.
I actually am in the restaurant business I am a little stuck your advice has been wonderfully helpful thank you all, I will definately look in to the airport Jobs but Im not going to give up physics or go into debt neither of those is an option

Join the military. Sorry, someone had to say it.

This is really confusing. You are 26 years old and only capable of making $3,600/year? You'd make four times that flipping burgers at a fast food joint.
i do thats whats scary well i make pizza but still

Fly cheap planes, and barter. Maybe you can work the fbo all day Saturday Sunday and get 2 hours of plane time. See if there is something you can do for your instructor maybe trade him 2 weeks at a family vacation house or something. Just start talking to as many people as possible and see what plays out. It's certainly not impossible just keep throwing crap at the wall until something sticks that works for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the military. Sorry, someone had to say it.
have a bad right leg can't doesn't hinder me much but cant march in formation specifically tried recruitment officer said no way in hell.

Fly cheap planes, and barter. Maybe you can work the fbo all day Saturday Sunday and get 2 hours of plane time. See if there is something you can do for your instructor maybe trade him 2 weeks at a family vacation house or something. Just start talking to as many people as possible and see what plays out. It's certainly not impossible just keep throwing crap at the wall until something sticks that works for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
exactly,

Back