non tso'comm radio

hotprops

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
hotprops
Why is it that a certified aircraft can if vrf only, install a non tso,d radio but NOT a non tso'd antenna?

Show me where it says you need a TSO'd antenna and I will show you why.
If nothing exists that says it needs to be TSO'd then it doesn't.

Brian

not a very good answer , any non tso'd antenna clearly states for experimental ac only not so for radios eta gliders are exempt

A quick serach of part 91 shows that only some of the equipment must meet a TSO. For 121/135 ops the list expands IIRC

1. 91.207 - ELT
  2. 91.215 - Transponder
  3. 91.217 - Encoder
  4. 91.223 - TAWS
  5. 91.225 - ADS-B
  6. 91.609 - FDR
  7. 91 Appendix G - RVSM

So as far as part 91 is concerned I don't think it's a problem. Maybe we should have Captain Ron ask for clarification :D

it can be installed. all you need is a 337, and IA to sign it and the faa to approve the field approval.......

bob

not a very good answer , any non tso'd antenna clearly states for experimental ac only not so for radios eta gliders are exempt

Sorry about the non-specific answer but Pilots, Mechanics and even the FAA tend to believe and spread the rumor that everything, or many things, on certified aircraft need a TSO. This is simply not true. As already pointed out part 91 only lists a few things that require a TSO.

As far as non-TSO antenna's saying "for experimental ac only" this is essentially manufacturer of the the antenna trying to reduce any liability.

Brian

Hope it's not required. My 150 has an ICOM A200 in it. Not TSO. Works better than my MK12D.

A quick serach of part 91 shows that only some of the equipment must meet a TSO. For 121/135 ops the list expands IIRC

1. 91.207 - ELT
  2. 91.215 - Transponder
  3. 91.217 - Encoder
  4. 91.223 - TAWS
  5. 91.225 - ADS-B
  6. 91.609 - FDR
  7. 91 Appendix G - RVSM

So as far as part 91 is concerned I don't think it's a problem. Maybe we should have Captain Ron ask for clarification :D[/QUOTE

Next up: FAA-PMA tags on Part 91 operations

a certified ac must have a tso'd com and antenna if ifr. it was explained to me that the advent of approved approach gps a non tso'd com ,could after a channel change make the gps box inop and peg the cdi/hsi and if autopilot was on a unusual attitude could ensue i cant find the reg however i wonder if this another myth

a certified ac must have a tso'd com and antenna if ifr. it was explained to me that the advent of approved approach gps a non tso'd com ,could after a channel change make the gps box inop and peg the cdi/hsi and if autopilot was on a unusual attitude could ensue i cant find the reg however i wonder if this another myth

It was explained to you wrong, there is no requirement for a TSO'ed com equipment.

The 2 TSO'ed equipment requirements that quickly come to mind are the ELT, and Transponder. ( I'm not certain about the GPS)

What IS the rule? I've had non-TSO comms in all my planes but I'm not required to have a radio. 135 operators need TSOd radios, right? That's the distinction I've been told.

What IS the rule? I've had non-TSO comms in all my planes but I'm not required to have a radio. 135 operators need TSOd radios, right? That's the distinction I've been told.

That's why King made KX 170 and KX 175s the only difference was the TSO on the face plate of the 175.
And of course the stack of paper that came with it.

What IS the rule?

I find I can usually look it up in the FAR as quickly as I can post it here and wait for answers.

Now that my hard copy of the FAR is three years out-of-date, I find the internet is my friend: Part 91

If someone tells you there is a rule requiring a TSO'd radio, he's the one who should be asked to cite the rule.

Who made that decision?

call a fsdo ,i have found in 45 years of flying ,if you want a wrong answer thats who you call .

call a fsdo ,i have found in 45 years of flying ,if you want a wrong answer thats who you call .

If you ask that question of the FSDO you must work with, it can't be wrong.. Think about it.

try to explain what a tso or a com or antenna is to these these feds and you will hang up in disgust .and they always say what cant get there ass fired ,not a real or correct answer .your tax dollars at work . this was not always the case ,but you must be damaged goods to work for the government now . look to Washington! and to add there are many answers in this thread that are correct but we need just one , the correct one !!!

Back