Hey Taylor Tx people

yetti

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Yetti
So you fly those shiny birds over to LA, But the gas receipt says Taylor is the BBQ Capital of Texas. What is the scoop?

There is good BBQ downtown... not sure I'd say it's the BBQ Capital of Texas though! If you don't get there early, the line is very long.

Most people who fly in go the Mexican Food place at the hotel next door. For BBQ, I'd go to Llano or Lockhart!

So you fly those shiny birds over to LA, But the gas receipt says Taylor is the BBQ Capital of Texas. What is the scoop?

I hear the Salt Lick west of San Marcos is the Carnivore Capital of Texas.

I agree with Jack, there's better BBQ out there. Lockhart definitely and other places which unfortunately do not have runways. :(
Forget Salt Lick, it is full of hype, leave it to city folks. Try Meyer's instead.
I've heard of Cooper's in Llano (KAQO) but never actually been. We should fly out there for lunch sometime.

Where you at, Yetti?

IT IS TEXAS. ALL THE BBQ IS GOOD!!! :)

Come on down to CTX and we'll cook something up. A hangar BBQ maybe? Throw a brisket on the grill, a few pounds of sausage, burgers ... hey, stop making me hungry!! :mad3: :nono:

My favorite BBQ flight is Stephenville, Hard 8 BBQ. Nice airport, good food.

Fly into Taylor any time and if I'm there my hangar will be open. I face the highway. You should come get some of our $2.95 gas. There has been lines at the pump lately!

There is many excellent choices for BBQ in this state, and specifically in the Central Texas area. As far as fly in locations, Hard 8 is the best option and delicious.

As far as the best BBQ around. it is 10 minutes from our home, and that's Salt Lick, PERIOD. Lou can front all he wants, but he was here when we had it catered and I couldn't get him out of my house. So take that "hype" statement and stick it in your rectus.

The only tourist BBQ in this city is Franklins and the worst is Bill Miller. Myer's Elgin sausage & bbq is marginal at best, and I know what it tastes like, because I lived there.

I have only tried one of the big 3 in Lockhart, Black's, and it exceeded expectations. Planning a couple of flights down to try Kreutz's and Smitty's. I've heard it's pretty easy to get to town, either through crew car or your favorite ride share service.

Last edited:
Fly into Taylor any time and if I'm there my hangar will be open. I face the highway. You should come get some of our $2.95 gas. There has been lines at the pump lately!
I was there last night participating in the cheap gas. The guy with the gyrocopter hanger was open.

Next time I am there I will look you up

For consistent BBQ I am a big fan of Hinze's in Sealy south of I-10 next to the Wataburger. Been going there for years. Only had a couple of off days in 30 years.

Salt Lick isn't my favorite because I don't really like their sauce and it seems expensive. I was happy when they opened one in Round Rock near my house, but I think I've only been there twice. I actually prefer... I know... Rudy's!

I agree Myer's is no good, and how is Bill Miller's still in business?

As far as the best BBQ around. it is 10 minutes from our home, and that's Salt Lick, PERIOD. Lou can front all he wants, but he was here when we had it catered and I couldn't get him out of my house. So take that "hype" statement and stick it in your rectus.

The only tourist BBQ in this city is Franklins and the worst is Bill Miller. Myer's Elgin sausage & bbq is marginal at best, and I know what it tastes like, because I lived there.

Dayton is a good friend of mine and operates Lone Star Magni Gyro. He's doing a lot of training lately, which is awesome.
I was there last night participating in the cheap gas. The guy with the gyrocopter hanger was open.

Next time I am there I will look you up

For consistent BBQ I am a big fan of Hinze's in Sealy south of I-10 next to the Wataburger. Been going there for years. Only had a couple of off days in 30 years.

Made the long flight from 07TS to Taylor for fuel today!

$2.95 gas is really nice.

-Dan

I've been to Lockhart and Llano. They are both excellent airports with cars for bbq runs. I'll have to give the nod to Lockhart. I'm a fan of Smitty's or Black's. For Austin BBQ, Stile's Switch or Brown's.

I'm not a fan of Salt Lick. Before making the trip to Driftwood, I'd go to County Line. However, I'd go to neither because I'm going to Stile's Switch or Brown's when in the Austin metro.

It is hard to beat Rudy's for a quick fix. Imagine my excitement when they opened one near my house in Houston.

I eat a lot of BBQ.

There is many excellent choices for BBQ in this state, and specifically in the Central Texas area. As far as fly in locations, Hard 8 is the best option and delicious.

As far as the best BBQ around. it is 10 minutes from our home, and that's Salt Lick, PERIOD. Lou can front all he wants...

There has been lines at the pump lately!

The guy with the gyrocopter hanger was open.
Are we competing for who's grammar and punctuation is worse? :mad2: LOL.

Seriously, Texans do love good BBQ and of course some of us like it one way or another, and that's OK, too!

Taylor is a nice little airport with a good mechanic on the field. There's a Mexican restaurant right next-door about 200 feet to walk.

I am a fourth generation Texan, so this is heresy to say, but I don't like Cooper's at all, and don't really care for the salt lick that much.

In general I don't like standing in a long line, eating on a paper plate with a giant slab of meat with a plastic knife and fork, a horrible white styrofoam bread, nasty looking "cobbler", on a picnic table next to a biker wearing wife beater shirt.

I take visitors to Austin to the County Line, where you can enjoy excellent BBQ, homemade bread, vegetables that were not poured out of the can, great service, a clean and safe facility, siting at an actual table with chairs,with actual metal eating utensils, without a bunch of flies, and without being crammed elbow to elbow with random, often stinky people .

Taylor is a nice little airport with a good mechanic on the field. There's a Mexican restaurant right next-door about 200 feet to walk.

I am a fourth generation Texan, so this is heresy to say, but I don't like Cooper's at all, and don't really care for the salt lick that much.

In general I don't like standing in a long line, eating on a paper plate with a giant slab of meat with a plastic knife and fork, a horrible white styrofoam bread, nasty looking "cobbler", on a picnic table next to a biker wearing wife beater shirt.

I take visitors to Austin to the County Line, where you can enjoy excellent BBQ, homemade bread, vegetables that were not poured out of the can, great service, a clean and safe facility, siting at an actual table with chairs,with actual metal eating utensils, without a bunch of flies, and without being crammed elbow to elbow with random, often stinky people

Aw.... Come on, don't hold back...tell us how you really feel...;).......:D

We stopped at Llano for fuel on Super Bowl Sunday, and that place was a-buzzin' with planes! Airport manager Larry told us folks were flying in from all over to buy Cooper's BBQ for the game. Sure enough, we saw people coming back in the courtesy cars with big sacks of food.

I was at Salt lick for the first time 2 weeks ago for a large party...Chicken and Ribs were good...liked the sauce but different...Brisket was okay...Bread was a little weird...yes I would go back.

My Texas favorite but a little hard to get there...Traditional Texas BBQ in Manor part of the Central BBQ Triangle of Texas, Lockhart, Llano, Manor...which includes Driftwood...wants you get there nothing else seems up to par...

Airport manager Larry told us folks were flying in from all over to buy Cooper's BBQ for the game. Sure enough, we saw people coming back in the courtesy cars with big sacks of food.

Larry is still managing Llano? Damn - he was doing that way back when I was working on my instrument rating. He'd tell me on UNICOM to do a low pass over Cooper's and tell him what the line looked like. Quite the character, and great guy.

My original post was worse even purpose on.
so you thought it would be a good idea to be the grammar police on a Texas bbq thread? Are you even from Texas, i'd say someone is fixin to get a rope

Larry is still managing Llano? Damn - he was doing that way back when I was working on my instrument rating. He'd tell me on UNICOM to do a low pass over Cooper's and tell him what the line looked like. Quite the character, and great guy.

Yep, still there - he's a good'un.

Sadly I haven't done the Texas barbecue tour yet.... I will say that I like Saltlick, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite. I can tolerate Houston chains (Goode, Papa's) but I don't crave them. Rudy's is probably one of the better options in the H-town... Giddings had a really good meat market in town - the courtesy car can get you there if it's running.

I will go out of my way, though, to share with you what was a life-changing experience for me; Stanley's in Tyler... I know it's nowhere near the airport... But if you find yourself within a 100 mile radius - do yourself a favor and borrow, buy, or steal a car and carry yourself down there. It's some of the most incredible barbecue that I've had the pleasure to scarf down... Trust me on this one, folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been to Cooper's, although I definitely plan to visit. Kirby's in Mexia (KLXY) kicks Hard 8's ass, but is not open on Sunday. Here in town, I prefer both Big Al's and Pecan Lodge over Hard 8, but neither has the ambiance. So much good Barbecue in Texas, but also plenty of bad....

Back