Worst FBO you have been to....

Getonit

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
I usually don't start nonsense threads like this as I have a lot to do.

Problem with nice FBO's is anything above clean and quiet is a bonus, too much and it is just extravagant.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot to add as I don't travel like I used to.

Too many to name... I can name several big name FBO's that suck, but most small mom & pop joints really shouldn't be compared with those guys.

KGEZ - Mom & Pop run place. Saw Mom & Pop fighting with each other right in front of me. Didn't even seem to mind I was there. Doors were slammed. Service was sub-par as well.

Grand Canyon Airlines @ KGCN I waited for over an hour to get fuel and still never got it had to leave without the fuel because the sun was going down and I didn't want to risk unfamiliarity flying into four corners regional airport in New Mexico I had never been there before. Not only that but they forced me to park my plane about a 3/4 mile from where they're at. my girl and I had to walk the 3/4 mile the temperature was 25° before windchill and the wind was blowing upwards of 20 kts. As we sat in their office and waited for fuel for over an hour we decided it was time to head back to the plane. The fuel was simply precautionary in case I would not have been able to get into four corners and needed to turn around and fly somewhere else if you're familiar with the area there's not too much around. After we decided to head out no one at the FPO would give us a ride back to our plane so we were forced to walk this time into the wind which made to three quarter of a mile walk even longer in the freezing cold. My girl is not too happy about that. I was completely ready to top the tanks at over 7.20 a gallon for 100 low lead, and still got treated like garbage. Never again will I stop there. All in all I should have just kept going to four corners to begin with I wasted so much fuel landing parking starting up and taxi out and climbing out again that it was completely pointless for me to stop there. All they care about is running their air tours nothing else.

Last edited:
I have never been at a real bad one some are better than others but none that I would never go back to. Sometimes no mater how hard people try to serve customers, they the customer is never happy. I would also say if your looking for a list of pilots that will complain about the poor service they got at some airport this is the the place.

Last edited:
Have been to some pretty bad ones but most seemed to do the best they could with what they had.

One exception that sticks out is Blythe, CA. - KBLH
Facility was dreadful with matching don't care employees.
Maybe it's changed since 2007 but the impression lasted.

As of 2012, no, it hadn't changed.

KMDD Midland Airpark, Texas. Reception and line are neither nice nor helpful.

On the plus side, you can return the favor by parking there without paying them a nickel.

For what they charge you and the level of service in comparison with their nearby competition, the Midland (MAF) Signature with their new "security fee" and lack of extra service for the costs. The desk gals are ok (don't want them to get hurt), but management needs to realize that if they charge you like a big time operator, they should treat you like one.

LOL as I realize what was posted above! FWIW, Wildcatter in Odessa is by FAR the best area FBO.

On the plus side, you can return the favor by parking there without paying them a nickel.
You could actually do worse and land in Wink (INK).

Totally agree. They have a self serve pump station that must be operated by the dude that works there. So if it's after hours you get no fuel. Whats all that about? Worst for sure. I also agree with GCA at the Grand Canyon for the same reasons stated above.

Unfortunately, I have to nominate Gallup, NM. Stop at Albuquerque, or Grants, or Winslow or Farmington instead.

Sad because Gallup used to be a 24 hour FBO. Empty business jets would stop in late at night to fill up. As the lineman filled the plane it was possible to borrow the crew car and get a sandwich in town. Need an early start? The lineman would pick you up in town, and your plane would be ready and waiting for you when you want it.

But not anymore. Avoid if at all possible. It is now just a hollow building that unlocks the doors between 830a and 430p.

North American @ BVY. All I asked is whether the tiedown on the far end of their ramp was OK to leave my plane for a couple of days. They'd already avoided giving me any direction as I arrived. They then proceeded to give me a raft of crap about not calling ahead.

What was the name of the old FBO at KSFO, when it was run by the city or county or some other government agency. It was completely terrible.

Oh, Yes! Senior moment. Now I remember.........Butler Aviation:(

Last edited:
Butler was not any government agency. It was a business established by Paul Butler, polo champion and president of the family paper company. He started Butler Aviation at the end of WWII. Butler had operations all over the US (including Washington National as well as SFO). Signature bought them in 1993.

Never dealt with them when I landed there with an alternator problem as I went straight to Southwest Aviation (no association with airline) where I met one of the nicest and most knowledgeable mechanics ever. Paul Armstrong....wish he was closer to Tucson.

Basin Aviation?

I did my training there in 1995 & 1996. They used to be decent - at least as far as I knew at the time. Sounds like it has gone down hill.

Butler was not any government agency. It was a business established by Paul Butler, polo champion and president of the family paper company. He started Butler Aviation at the end of WWII. Butler had operations all over the US (including Washington National as well as SFO). Signature bought them in 1993.

It was run like a government agency. If you needed coffee and ice, you had to fill out a requisition form and send it to catering. Then it arrived about 30 minutes later, with a huge invoice.

Never seen that at hundreds of other FBOs, including Butler at Redmond.(But that is probably another "Butler," still in business today.)

Last edited:
MillionAire at KSUS (spirit of St. Louis)

Hands down.

You'll have to elaborate. It's been a while since I've been there but it always seemed ok to me.

I don't recall any being exceptional, or any being horrible. Some cater to the upper crust and have extravagant furnishings, and it's kind of fun to enjoy the surroundings.

But when my kids were younger they liked the free donuts at the small mom and pop shop where our plane was based. If it wasn't for those donuts I'd have never gotten them near the place.

About the only bad experience I've had was at a small town in SW Illinois several years ago not far from Du Quoin, although I forget the name of the town. I'd been there several times and almost didn't call ahead, but thought better of it. Called to make sure someone would be there for fuel and the guy said he wanted to take off early, but he'd wait for me. He didn't, and I was stuck.

Not to be a stick in the mud on a good complaint thread, but we're spoiled. I had to think hard about having ever had a bad experience at an FBO.

Courtesy car smoked and was stuck in first gear and had a bad muffler. Gas pumps were out of order and the heat in the FBO was broken. Place where I ate in town gave me gas stomach pains. Lost my job, my dog died and scraped the wings on the airplane on another airplane taxxiing up. Got ramp checked. Other than that, it was ok. :lol:

Last edited:
That FBO turned me into a newt!

I got better...

I learned something today....

I always assumed the Butler brand was a spin off of Butler metal buildings /hangars...

For anyone considering a trip to GCN Grand Canyon Airport, there is no need to deal with the FBO at all. Just park, walk out the gate (making note of the combo to reenter), and catch the free bus in season or call a taxi. Can get fuel for $2 less per gallon within 50 miles.

It is a wonderful facility. Just don't expect much service there.
Jon

Last edited:
You could actually do worse and land in Wink (INK).

Charlie Cooper at Wink texas really saved my bacon. Had a mechanical there a few years ago. He took care of me and put me up in a hangar, drove me to the big airport so i could fly big iron home. Oversaw my repairs while away. I'd do anything for that guy.

Charlie Cooper at Wink texas really saved my bacon. Had a mechanical there a few years ago. He took care of me and put me up in a hangar, drove me to the big airport so i could fly big iron home. Oversaw my repairs while away. I'd do anything for that guy.

Wonders never cease.

That's a good start on a country song....

just need to add in something about momma, prison, and a train. :D

Courtesy car smoked and was stuck in first gear and had a bad muffler. Gas pumps were out of order and the heat in the FBO was broken. Place where I ate in town gave me gas stomach pains. Lost my job, my dog died and scraped the wings on the airplane on another airplane taxxiing up. Got ramp checked. Other than that, it was ok. :lol:

Back