where to go for Type Rating ?

So blowing your money on a 737 type to get an ATP versus just doing it in a rickety-ass Apache makes good sense ?
Is is any of your business? He stated from the beginning that he was doing it for the fun and novelty.

Is is any of your business? He stated from the beginning that he was doing it for the fun and novelty.

Thanks. Its funny how mad people get when other people get to do cool **** like get an ATP in a 737 for free. I am trying to expand my skill set. The Apache isn't quite as complex as the NG. Thats why im going that way.

I don't have a deficiency on the understanding. I just was looking for recommendations on where people go. What makes you think I dont understand the process ????

Earlier you posted that you have 26 days off a month, so depending on which month of the year you are only flying 2-5 days a month and also said that you have a couple hundred hours of Falcon time (which must be SIC).

Given the limited days you work, in order to get those kind of hours you must've been in that Falcon seat as an SIC for a couple years.

Most of these questions are answered while at a simulator school. Given the time you've been around that Falcon and these questions it is obvious that you haven't been to a school and only been through some form of a 61.55 sign off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Its funny how mad people get when other people get to do cool **** like get an ATP in a 737 for free. I am trying to expand my skill set. The Apache isn't quite as complex as the NG. Thats why im going that way.

No one is mad, or really cares, that you're getting a type for $ or free, it's what you're doing in and to, the aviation industry that ****es folks off, plus you have a little bit of a attitude, not that I'm one to talk on the later.

Filling seats for deadbeat operators so they don't have to make real pilot positions is not being the change one wants to see in the industry, sadly people like you are shooting yourself in the foot, as well as all of their other working pilots, by doing what you do.

I mean what you're doing is just one step above flying for free as far as ranking in the aviation industry.

No one is mad, or really cares, that you're getting a type for $ or free, it's what you're doing in and to, the aviation industry that ****es folks off, plus you have a little bit of a attitude, not that I'm one to talk on the later.

Filling seats for deadbeat operators so they don't have to make real pilot positions is not being the change one wants to see in the industry, sadly people like you are shooting yourself in the foot, as well as all of their other working pilots, by doing what you do.

I mean what you're doing is just one step above flying for free as far as ranking in the aviation industry.

One could also reason that flying Part 135 Air ambulance in a PC 12 for the wages you are willing to work for brings the bar down for others.

I make more than most regionals and Corp guys, as well as low seniority maj guys, good sched with plenty of time to make even more if I wanted, full benneis, 401k, training, etc, and unlike airline drivers I actually go home every night, sleeping in my own bed while knowing I made a positive difference in my community/country

Wow ! 18k for a DC-3 type rating !

I guess I'm having more than a little sticker shock with that number because that's about four times more than I've spent for my entire flight training to this point.

What do you expect? Do you think type ratings are free??? Whether it is the pilot or the employer, somebody is writing a check. Consider yourself fortunate to have a job where you've been able to get someone else to pay for it.

There is never been a certified sim for the DC-3, so you do everything in the actual airplane. It costs about $1800/hr to operate the thing. I'd say 18K for the full PIC type is pretty reasonable.

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to do it. It's cheaper than a full jet type for someone who just wants to get a type rating with their ATP, although most just do the SIC type rather than pay that much for something they will never get to use.

I make more than most regionals and Corp guys, as well as low seniority maj guys, good sched with plenty of time to make even more if I wanted, full benneis, 401k, training, etc, and unlike airline drivers I actually go home every night, sleeping in my own bed while knowing I made a positive difference in my community/country

I know what they pay you guys, and frankly it's not anything to write home about.

Again, I could use the same argument that you are lowering the bar for other professional pilots by agreeing to work for what you work for.

Bottom line: if you like what you do, fine. When it comes to others, MYOB.

Sounds like a single pilot 7X operation. Got to feel bad for the PIC.

I have only skimmed, so forgive me if this has been covered...

An ATP would probably take a handful of hours over a day or two if you did it in a small airplane. An ATP in an unfamiar jet, is another ballgame. You will have to learn a complex machine rather thoroughly. It can be a lot of work.
Also, many companies now don't type for circling and are limited to VFR circling only. No big deal unless it's your original ATP, in which case your entire ATP is restricted. I'm fairly certain they will type you to circle if you want, but that may be more money and definitely will be more work & risk.

Now, maybe I should go back and read the thread... I just might learn why you wouldn't get the ATP/type in the jet you're currently flying... :D

Because it's $88,000. I'm unemployed. And poor financial planning I guess

Okay, thanks for summarizing. I thought I read (skimmed) that you were flying a Falcon.

But I would think sic in a Falcon would still pay a pretty good wage.. At least it should.

Yes it does. But the scholarship to get an ATP probably won't cover the 88k . And it's 3 falcons. Not just one.

Yes it does. But the scholarship to get an ATP probably won't cover the 88k . And it's 3 falcons. Not just one.

I'm confused. I thought you said you're unemployed??

Either way, if you made up the difference but a Falcon type meant a good income, might it be worth it?

If both sides are satisfied with the arrangement, who cares?

Pardon my ignorance...but I am guessing y'all are more or less calling his deal a PTF right? So is that pretty much akin to a union scab?

No. What he is doing is not at all a PFT gig.

He gets paid to fly as a required crew member. He just doesn't get paid to sit at home when there is no work.

I know several contract pilots. I would hardly call them unemployed.

If you have experience in the airplane, and get the type by supplementing your scholarship, you may be able to do okay contracting. Remember also, your part of the type is likely tax deductible.

The issue isn't with 91 or contract pilots, it's their misuse.

You got a pilot hired but can't start for a few months, yeah get a contract guy, starting a new company and need a few planes ferried but don't have your own guys term sure, but using a contract pilot to fill a full time opening to get away with not paying for training, benifits, etc. that's were many working pilots get annoyed.

If people didn't take these types of jobs, operators like his would have to offer real job positions or just tuck the airplane in the hangar and not fly.

Yeah, it doesn't directly hurt me, but it indirectly does hurt me by making something which should be unacceptable in the industry into a semi common practice in our industry.

It's like having a 91 operation and running it one shade away from a 135.

Kritchlow, thanks for your imput towards the actual topic. Truth is, after I get the ATP I am thinking of pursuing some other Avenue of employment. Maybe instructing maybe not even aviation at all. I am just trying to get the ATP done before the written expires and see where I am at at that point. I may go right to a regional I haven't really decided yet. I kinda want to work a a brewery for a while and take some time away from aviation. I have been non stop for 4 years chasing the dream and I want to make sure I still fly for the original reason I started and that because I enjoy flying. I by no means have to fly profession.

You got a pilot hired but can't start for a few months, yeah get a contract guy, starting a new company and need a few planes ferried but don't have your own guys term sure, but using a contract pilot to fill a full time opening to get away with not paying for training, benifits, etc. that's were many working pilots get annoyed.

If people didn't take these types of jobs, operators like his would have to offer real job positions or just tuck the airplane in the hangar and not fly.

Yeah, it doesn't directly hurt me, but it indirectly does hurt me by making something which should be unacceptable in the industry into a semi common practice in our industry.

I have no problem with someone being a contract pilot. And the rate they negotiate is their own business.

James,

I was flying professionally before you were born. And guess what? This was going on then and it will continue after both of us are gone.

If you like your job, so be it. What this guy does with his career is his life and his business. Your argument that he is somehow hurting the profession is pure bovine scatology.

Get over it.

Back