Other things to read? (AIM, PHAK, etc)

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Hey guys,

So I have read the entire PHAK and read most of the AIM (I noticed there was a lot of IFR/advanced related stuff in the AIM that was way over my head at this point, so I skipped some sections of the AIM). Are there any other free materials on the FAA site that I should read?

Thanks.

None of the PHAK was over your head?

It took more than one reading for most of us.

Did you find any of its errors? It has a few.

Not FAA, but here is another free book if you're into the physics of flight: http://www.av8n.com/how .

A ton of free downloads on FAA publications at faa.gov. What are you reading for? Are you just curious or thinking about flying?

A ton of free downloads on FAA publications at faa.gov. What are you reading for? Are you just curious or thinking about flying?

PPL - I already passed the written and I am starting my flight training in the next week or two.

Not FAA, but here is another free book if you're into the physics of flight: http://www.av8n.com/how .

Not saying there weren't some unclear parts of the PHAK, but it was definitely more reader friendly than the AIM. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Hmm... I didn't realize people actually read all of those. I thought they were just paper weights...

There is aerodynamics for the naval aviator.

I had seen that one before, here is an interesting tidbit from that:
"Very, very few pilots have been taught how to handle a spiral dive correctly. The FAA Airplane Flying Handbook (reference 16) calls for pulling back on the yoke. It says you should not pull back too soon or too suddenly, but nowhere does it mention that you might need to push forward. The older (now superseded) FAA Flight Training Handbook (reference 15) was even worse."

Not saying there weren't some unclear parts of the PHAK, but it was definitely more reader friendly than the AIM. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Yea, you'll find the Airplane Flying Handbook friendlier than PHAK. That one is more focused on the actual flying part of training. Maneuvers and such.

We must be off our game.... 15 responses to the original question (including mine) and we haven't suggested

51rX3Jf-xHL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Good reference for A&Ps!
Have found in volume1 & volume2. As the pictures & Texts are well illustrated, very easy to understand.

... free materials ... that I should read? ...
Learning from reading is the cheapest kind of learning, something that will be painfully clear to you after you write a few checks for your flight instruction.

When I was starting out, ever the cheapskate, I bought packages of pilot stuff on eBay. Books, gear, Sporty's and King courses, bundles of IFR Refresher, ... there were always aquisitive people that had dropped the idea of flying or had used the material and were done. But even paying sticker price, reading is a bargain. Especially Langewiesche.

So I'd encourage you to drop "free" as a selection criterion.

We must be off our game.... 15 responses to the original question (including mine) and we haven't suggested

51rX3Jf-xHL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

+1

I really didn't quite get it until I read this book.

The concept of the plane's different "gaits" is simple, yet very powerful...I can recall the text as I'm slowing down for an approach and landing.

okay I am reading the airplane flying handbook and just ordered the stick and rudder book

AC-00-45G on weather products.
Aeronautical Chart User's Guide
The Kershner books.

I am reading the Airplane Flying Handbook and just got Stick and Rudder...began to read Stick and Rudder and so far it is an awesome book.

I am reading the Airplane Flying Handbook and just got Stick and Rudder...began to read Stick and Rudder and so far it is an awesome book.
I'm not that impressed. Why say in 1000 words what you can express in 10,000? It's VERY wordy.

It's major point was an argument won decades ago. Tailwheels are a niche now.

I'm not that impressed. Why say in 1000 words what you can express in 10,000? It's VERY wordy.

Okay.

I liked it because it has more of a conversational style as opposed to say reading text books or encyclopedias. Some of the wordiness comes from his attempts to explain more clearly to someone who has never been exposed to some of the concepts/processes, which is good for a beginner especially.

It doesn't sound to me like you've read it.

It doesn't sound to me like you've read it.

Nope. Got an $8 copy at home.

It's VERY wordy, and spends a lot of that space making an argument that would have been controversial in 1938.

He could have made his other points in a pamphlet, not a book.

It's VERY wordy, and spends a lot of that space making an argument that would have been controversial in 1938.
What, that nosewheels are better? That Ercoupes are too? He did write it circa 1938, so I'm missing your point. He was an engineer, yet wrote for the layman. I remember reading an article he had published in Harper's, IIRC, The Wind That Blows Straight Up [EDIT: "Winds that blow straight up", Aug 1945]. I came across it in a textbook and recognized his name. It was cited there as an excellent example of making technical information understandable and interesting for the average reader. The "wind" was what has to be the dullest subject in ground school--the adiabatic lapse rate. He made it almost exciting to consider. Just a single paragraph:
"A puff of wind comes down the street. An old newspaper stirs in
the gutter, jumps up on the sidewalk, spirals up to second-story height
and flaps about there for a moment; then, with a new burst of energy, it sweeps upward again, and when you last see it, it is soaring high above the roof tops, turning over and over, blinking in the sunlight. The wind has picked up a piece of paper and blown it away. What of it? A generation ago, in philosophical discourse, one might have chosen this as an example of an event completely void of significance, completely chance. But not in the air age. The tiny occurrence demonstrates an important fact concerning the air ocean, one that is only now becoming the practical knowledge of practical airfaring men: there are winds which blow neither east nor west, neither north nor south, but in the third dimension: straight up."​

He could have made his other points in a pamphlet, not a book.
I believe the book was a compilation of articles written and for and published in Air Facts.

dtuuri

Last edited:

I just wish we still called elevators "flippers".

DOWN FLIPPER! DIVE! DIVE!

Back