Sealing Firewall Feed Through

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I'm just wrapping up after running a bunch of new wire and rerouting a carb heat cable (that was interfering with yoke movement) on my Grumman AA-5B.

What are folks using to seal around feed through holes in the firewall.
I was looking at CS 1900, but thought I'd ask the list.

I haven't worked with the stuff before. See -> http://flamemaster.com/cs-1900/

That would work. Permatex High Temp Red RTV is good for 600F continuous and available just about anywhere.

I don't think RTV is durable enough, it's too elastic and it's adhesion is a lot lower than PRC sealants. I see red RTV used a lot of places and it doesn't hold up.

I had a few minutes last night and I did some more digging on the subject. I think I've found at least one product better than anything else I've seen so far.

See -> http://www.ppgaerospace.com/Product...ass-B-Primerless,-Two-part-Firewall-Seal.aspx

I believe there are vendors out there that sell it in 6oz tubes, I haven't tried sourcing it yet.

The reason I like it is because at least on paper it meets the Part 23 Certification Requirements for firewalls (See FAR §23.1191) and it meets standards typically accepted for aerospace applications.

I'm seeing a $110 a pint. Don't see any tubes.

That being a two-part sealant means you must mix up all the sealant at once if you do buy it in a tube.

Last edited:
There is " Firestop" caulk at all the big box home improvement stores... Those products have been tested to UL and various other agencies criteria and will do a perfect job... Most are rated to 1200f..... If your fire gets hotter then that, you are literally TOAST...:sad:

There is " Firestop" caulk at all the big box home improvement stores... Those products have been tested to UL and various other agencies criteria and will do a perfect job... Most are rated to 1200f..... If your fire gets hotter then that, you are literally TOAST...:sad:

It's insane what some of the sealants used on part 25 aircraft cost. I looked up PS700, also found in PPG website, and find it around $300 a pint. The shelf life of some of these sealants is as short as 180 days.

P/S 700 is a high temperature primerless firewall sealant. It has a service temperature range from -65°F (-54°C) to 400°F (204°C, with withstand flash temperatures of 2000°F (1093°C). The material is designed for sealing firewall structures against the passage of air and vapors.

Last edited:
TOAST!!!!! Sounds horrible. BTW Flamemaster CS 1900 Firewall Sealant - 6 oz SemKit Cartridge look good.

Back