Should Permanent TFRs become Restricted or Prohibited Airspace?

AFAIK, a prohibited area is an entire different ballgame. Nothing goes through, not even an IFR with a clearance. Pilot must still stay clear even if IFR and clearance takes you through.

I don't think so.

IIRC, a "Restricted" airspace is for operations that are dangerous and/or hazardous for non-participating aircraft. A "Prohibited" is for restrictions that do not necessarily.

I know everyone see "P" and thinks like P-56 in DC, but what about P-204/205 in in Minnesota? They are restricted areas, but no "hazardous" activities happen therin. That's the distinction between P and R

Right, but they sold it to the FAA as a safety issue (OMG, terrorists!). They really can't have it both ways. Well, they probably can because Di$ney.

I do agree that was the excuse.

I don't think so.

IIRC, a "Restricted" airspace is for operations that are dangerous and/or hazardous for non-participating aircraft. A "Prohibited" is for restrictions that do not necessarily.

I know everyone see "P" and thinks like P-56 in DC, but what about P-204/205 in in Minnesota? They are restricted areas, but no "hazardous" activities happen therin. That's the distinction between P and R

Restricted areas are a no go unless you have permission. "Prohibeted Areas", to the extent of my knowledge, are never enter areas. If ATC forgets to issue a turn when departing DCA, it's still on you to avoid it.

I do agree that was the excuse.

I flew that area 30 years ago out of X04 ( Orlando Country Airport)... Back then there was no such thing as TFR's...

Epcot was just opening and the barge was pulled into the lake in EPCOT for a fireworks and Laser show every night... The original excuse was for Lasers possibly blinding pilots, so Orlando approach would " discourage" people from flying the "mousehouse" tour...

This was when Universal Studios was just getting built and they didn't want Rosie O Grady's flying circus flying their banner and skywriting planes over Disneyworld drawing peoples attention to other attractions..

Then the mid air that included a Rosie plane and a twin over Rosemont pretty much cemented a great leverage for the mousehouse to claim overflights " could" rain down on Disney if there was another midair...

I would assume the " security " excuse came about after 9-11 and has stuck ever since... IMHO

They should all be forced to undergo a sunset review on a 2 year basis, where they have to show there is good cause for them. And the ones that are accepted must show that the times and sizes are justified.

I'd throw MOAs, R-space, and heck, Class B, C & D in there as well.

I've seen some Class B airports where you can see the tumbleweeds blowing across the runways. I will grant you that most C & D space is pretty innocuous.

Richman

Back