Alaska video

Hey Dave Taylor, I just watched this video. ​​Seriously, very good stuff!:yes:

IT must have taken all of their 4 month summer to get all those scenes shot. or all of the 6 VFR days in the winter. :)
Southeast = 300 days of IFR and 60 days of marginal VFR, and cleaning the wings of snow every day from 1 oct-30 may. Flying in Alaska is work, hard work. Pretty videos are like sucker holes in bad weather.

haha, thats what I thought, Tom. "I wonder which season in Alaska has such beautiful skies?" Um.......

The first time flew a seaplane into Ketchikan, was a beautiful day in central B.C., down the Skeena River, past Terrace and on into the worst coastal weather I'd ever seen.

I felt relieved to arrive at the dock. Going into the fuel office, I remarked on how poor the weather was. Chief pilot was sitting there, just laughing! He said it was the best weather they'd had in a month!!

That was 1969, global warming still hasn't improved the PAKT weather.

Man, now I wanna be an Alaskan Bush Pilot! I've never been to Alaska, but always wanted to go.

Crummy weather doesn't bother me and it would be so cool to use flight skills for more than just a burger run :)

The number of days that Denali can be seen in the clear is ??? - 19.

A picture of one of the best day's in Southeast. If I remember correctly it was taken by Dr Bruce.

Attachments

• Alaska 057.jpg
    Alaska 057.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 25
Denali is clear lots of days in winter. Sadly that means cold temps. Pretty pics don't always tell the whole story.

Zeldman, I'm on winter number 49. I like my Texas time more every year. :)

I would love to earn my living flying in Alaska and yes, I know what I'd be getting myself in to. I mean, I have 35 hours of Alaska time..... the only 35 hours of VFR time available in 2012.

The number of days that Denali can be seen in the clear is ??? - 19.

We flew up there in 2007 and the whole time we were there I never saw Denali once. On the last day before we were going to head back down south we stopped in Talkeetna and I talked to the guys at K2 Aviation. they said weather on the mountain was not good and they weren't doing any glacier landings so we took off to head back to Anchorage. Then the weirdest thing happened, the Maule started making this strange noise and rumbling on the floorboards so we returned to Talkeetna and tried to figure it out. We couldn't find anything wrong on the ground but when we took off again there it was so we came back. Tried everything until late that evening when we gave up and got a hotel room.

The next morning it was crystal clear and you could see a hundred miles. I left my brother with the Maule and did the full tour with glacier landing in a Beaver, even got to ride shotgun.

It was pretty awesome, should be on every pilots bucket list.

As for the Maule - turned out to be just a big chunk of the plastic gear to body fairing had broken off underneath. Fixed it with good ol' duct tape and made it all the way back to California.

Back