Caribbean Flying

bavreze

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bavareze
Hello!

Starting the 12th I will be flying from LA to Miami, meet some friends, then fly through the Caribbean all the way to Venezuela with my Mooney M20C.

question 1: what are the best airports to stop along the route in the following locations for GA aircraft in terms of how cozy they are, crew car availability, proximity to areas of interest or where to spend the night. I can certainly find something on my own but maybe someone who had good experience wants to give some input

- Tucson
- some place in Western Texas
- Houston (was thinking West Houston)
- Austin
- New Orleans (was thinking Lakefront)
- Tampa
- Miami (was thinking Tamiami)

question 2: from there I fly East all the way to Venezuela, hopping from island to island. Any particular dos and don'ts? such as airports that are friendly/hospitable and others to avoid? I got hit with hefty fees in Cabo San Lucas once ($500 for 5 days parking) and I am a bit worried not to repeat)

queston 3: some people highly recommended me not to fly in Venezuela where the corrupted officials will find excuses to impose fees and fines unless I bribe them. Anybody with recent experience on that aspect?

Thanks!

On the bright side, fuel Venezuela is like pennies a gallon. That pays for a lot of bribes.

I've done the Bahamas but I can't help much beyond that. Looking forward to seeing some responses though.

I am still trying to catch my breath on the 500 dollars for parking a Mooney for 5 days in Cabo...:yikes::eek::mad:

I am still trying to catch my breath on the 500 dollars for parking a Mooney for 5 days in Cabo...:yikes::eek::mad:

Ha! No kidding! Couple years ago it cost me $200 for a private Suburan taxi from the airport to the Hilton. Booked it on the web and hit the wrong link, my fault. Oh well, the tacos were fabulous! :rofl:

Last edited:
Bavareze, check with Oscar on Mooneyspace. He spent several years living in Guatemala with his M20C, and just moved back last fall. He flew back and forth once or twice a year, I think. It's not all the way to Venezuela, but it's a good start on the trip.

Bavareze, check with Oscar on Mooneyspace. He spent several years living in Guatemala with his M20C, and just moved back last fall. He flew back and forth once or twice a year, I think. It's not all the way to Venezuela, but it's a good start on the trip.

is the the owner of mooneyspace forum or a registered user?

thanks!

Unlike the rest of the carribean, you need a visa to get into Venezuala (unless you are carrying a Venezualan passport. Apparently its become a very lengthy process.

Over at Tamiami, I deal with Reliance on the south side, off 9R / 27L. Landmark is on the south side also and has a beautiful facility they bought from an outfit called Falcon Trust. There's a Holiday Inn 1.2 miles away.

Back in 2011 a group of us (three airplanes) flew around the Caribbean basin. Some wanted to go to Venezuela but none of us could find insurance coverage. Instead we spent a couple of days on the ABC islands. I hope your group has done a lot of planning because their are a lot of bumps in the road for a trip like his. Credit cards work some places but you need lots and lots of cash for the majority to pay for gas and fees. We had a fun time, after the ABC islands we flew to Panama City then home through Central America. Most of Central America requires paper work sent in advance at least 72 hours before flight. Good Luck and have a good time.

no disrespect, but for being a couple of day from launching on this trip you seem totally unprepared for it. flying in central america is a whole lot more restrictive than the us and requires planning and paperwork. most of which has to be filed well in advance of travel. I hope you have your visa because that takes a while to get. have you gotten a raft reserved, have you checked if 100LL is available in the places you want to stop. that should all be in place by now.

bob

The 500 dollars for parking!!!!!! OMG!!!!!:yikes:

I went to Antigua once which was a bit of a hike for a single engine piston. When I was ready to depart, I was presented with an $900 bill which I thought was a lot for 4 days and what must have been around 50 gal of fuel but not really out of the realm of possibility so I went ahead and paid it. They then directed me to the fuel payment desk where I needed to pay my $600 fuel tab. The first bill was just for FBO services and handling!

So, yes, be prepared for the paperwork requirements and the costs that are often one price for all, whether you show up in a single piston or a large jet... Huge variability from island (really country) to island as you would expect. Some (e.g., Bahamas) get a lot of small GA and value that type of tourism, others don't and charge crazy prices or make the paperwork very burdensome.

no disrespect, but for being a couple of day from launching on this trip you seem totally unprepared for it. flying in central america is a whole lot more restrictive than the us and requires planning and paperwork. most of which has to be filed well in advance of travel. I hope you have your visa because that takes a while to get. have you gotten a raft reserved, have you checked if 100LL is available in the places you want to stop. that should all be in place by now.

bob

Hello. I do not need visa, I have EU passport and that allows visa free travel most of the places.

I will arrive in Central America in 40 days from now, so this is not last minute. Furthermore, I traveled before in about 45 countries in this world and I have some knowledge about travels. I just wanted some specific information such as "go there -the're ok" "don't go there, that is where I got ripped"

what kind of paperwork I need for central america? Is it different than Mexico? Are all countries troublemakers? I am thinking I could jump from Costa Rica straight to Mexico or Belize if Honduras and Nicaragua are too much trouble.

An I have the Baja Bush Pilots book for Central America as a reference.

bob

why do I need a raft? inside the plane? I have flotation device.

Hello!

Starting the 12th I will be flying from LA to Miami,

- Tucson (MARANA KAVQ)
- some place in Western Texas (Dona Ana 5T6 - soon to be KDNA)
- Houston (was thinking West Houston)
- Austin (KEDC)
- New Orleans (was thinking Lakefront)
- Tampa
- Miami (was thinking Tamiami)

Thanks!

Try the above fields ...

why do I need a raft? inside the plane? I have flotation device.

I would want a raft inside a single engine plane flying over the open ocean!:D If you ditch, you will want something to get into vs just making yourself a floating shark snack. :yikes: Actually, I believe a raft is required, but I can't quote the regulations, it's also just smart to have on board. :D

You are making my dream trip. I hope you post back here with pictures and stories, as frequently as you can. (good luck getting Internet past Bahamas)

FWIW, if flying through Central TX, stop in Georgetown (KGTU) for cheap fuel (<$3) or Taylor (T74) for cheap fuel again (<$3) and a bite at Mas Fajitas. KEDC is a nice facility but they do not believe in competitiveness in fuel prices (I believe we are still above $5 here right now). Of course you can make a stop in F'burg (T82) or Brenham (11R) for fuel and on-airport food but their diner hours are pretty limited so check in advance. (PM me if you'd like details such as URLs, phone numbers etc)

In the Houston area, Conroe has an on-field restaurant but again, limited hours.
And I second Dona Ana (5T6), great little airport and a diner near-by (also a hotel for an overnight stop). Don't forget to reserve a few hours to visit the great aviation museum!!!!

I would want a raft inside a single engine plane flying over the open ocean!:D If you ditch, you will want something to get into vs just making yourself a floating shark snack. :yikes: Actually, I believe a raft is required, but I can't quote the regulations, it's also just smart to have on board. :D

Any water below body temperature is considered cold and you can become hypothermic very slowly or very quickly. Life rafts are intended to get you out of the water and out of the sun.

:rofl::rofl::lol::lol::lol:.../.......:yikes:

You are making my dream trip. I hope you post back here with pictures and stories, as frequently as you can. (good luck getting Internet past Bahamas)

this is the kind of info i was looking for, thanks!

i was able to find internet pretty much everywhere in the world except for the himalayas and north korea :)

my travel blog www.b66ama.com, I post occasionally. I will try to summarize and post a few pictures here as well!

raft would be great, any idea of some compact rafts to be taken inside the mooney?

A good fuel stop in west Texas would be Andrews (E11, just north of Midland/Odessa) they have self-serve 100LL for $3.47.

this is the kind of info i was looking for, thanks!

i was able to find internet pretty much everywhere in the world except for the himalayas and north korea :)

my travel blog www.b66ama.com, I post occasionally. I will try to summarize and post a few pictures here as well!

raft would be great, any idea of some compact rafts to be taken inside the mooney?

You should be able to rent a raft at Tamiami. I'm not sure how the cost of renting and returning it would compare against the cost of purchase and then resale if you don't need it again. My guess would be cheaper to buy one and then resell it on ebay when you're done with it.

It didn't sound like you were headed over Central America in your first post, but if you do you will need overflight permits for Nicaragua & Honduras... Maybe more. At least we did when we used to fly down there a lot.

Aircraft Spruce has nice 4 man rafts for $1,000 to $1,500. You can have it shipped to your FBO in Miami if you're not sure it would make it to you before you leave

Um ... have you been to Mexiko??
Internet there is as cheap as a cab fare from the airport to the nearest Internet cafe.

You are welcome to borrow my inflatable two-person kayak. It comes with a free operator, too!! :D

It didn't sound like you were headed over Central America in your first post, but if you do you will need overflight permits for Nicaragua & Honduras... Maybe more. At least we did when we used to fly down there a lot.

when was that and where did you apply for it?

when was that and where did you apply for it?

We used to cut across Honduras and Nicaragua en-route to Liberia Costa Rica coming from Florida. It was a commercial operation so it's possible private is different... But I doubt it. Cenamer would constantly offer a shortcut but it was our policy to decline seeing as though we did not want to stray from our route due to overfly permits.
Same thing if you fly the inner Cuban Adiz. Outer okay, inner need permit.

I'm sorry, our dispatch handled all permits so I'm not sure how to obtain them.

ETA: This was about two years ago was my last trip there.

You would make your life much easier if you would purchase a Jeppesen Trip Kit for the Caribbean and Latin America. Lots of information about who to send what information to and with what lead time. Very few people have up to date information and as you might imagine it changes constantly. Look under Entry Requirements for some or most of the information.

You would make your life much easier if you would purchase a Jeppesen Trip Kit for the Caribbean and Latin America. Lots of information about who to send what information to and with what lead time. Very few people have up to date information and as you might imagine it changes constantly. Look under Entry Requirements for some or most of the information.

+1

You really should spend the money for this. It's a drop in the bucket for the type of trip you propose, and can save you tons of problems.

question 2: from there I fly East all the way to Venezuela, hopping from island to island. Any particular dos and don'ts? such as airports that are friendly/hospitable and others to avoid? I got hit with hefty fees in Cabo San Lucas once ($500 for 5 days parking) and I am a bit worried not to repeat)

queston 3: some people highly recommended me not to fly in Venezuela where the corrupted officials will find excuses to impose fees and fines unless I bribe them. Anybody with recent experience on that aspect?

Thanks!

I currently live on Margarita, Venezuela and spend about 10 months here and the rest of the time I'm in the states or traveling.

I have done the trip from Florida around the Caribbean and back with more than a few trips to and from Venezuela.

Here are some highlights of what to expect. The last time I made these trips was prior to eAPIS or Caricorm APIS so I'm sure things have gotten somewhat easier or complicated :dunno: :

Turks And Caicos - MBPV - Expensive if you are staying over but the customs agents are nice and efficient plus they are pretty good at quick turns if needed.

San Juan, PR - TJIG - Customs can be a pain here. Sometimes they want you to empty all the contents of the plane and other times it's pretty straight forward. Head over to Isla Grande Flying School and they will take good care of you. I used to get my annuals done there and they are really good for any maintenance or avionics work.

St Thomas, USVI - TIST - Pretty easy airport. Ramp space can be a challenge at times during peak vacation times.

St Croix, ISVI - TISX - Really nice laid back airport, although I have heard of airplanes getting broken into here so word of caution.

St Maarten - TNCM - Ramp space is at a premium almost always between December through April. They will park you along the fence in the back if you are staying more than a day so plan ahead since it will take time to move planes to get you back out. Don't expect the tourists to take photos of you when you arrive :confused:

Antigua - TAPA - Arriving is easy. Leaving is a whole other story. You'll get a work out here. I had to walk close to a mile between different offices to to get weather briefings, file flight plans, file GenDecs, ect. Also the fuel was expensive and fees were on the higher side compared to other islands.

Guadeloupe - TFFR - The French are special people and here is no different. I arrived, parked the plane and called the customs agent via a pay phone next to the GA terminal (abandoned). After three different calls I was finally able to speak to someone who's english was broken at best. He told me to leave the GenDec forms in the mailbox next to the payphone and that was it. On departure, three days later, I talked to the same guy and he told me to do the same. I looked in the mailbox and my arrival forms were still there. No passport stamp in or out and no fees.

Martinique - TFFF - Still French but much better than Guadeloupe. At least there was customs onsite and and getting in and out was relatively easy.

St. Lucia - TLPL - Not much there and is pretty quiet in between Europe flights. There is a simple but nice restaurant on the beach that you can walk to which has some decent food.

Barbados - TBPB - One word: Expensive. They will park you on the ramp in a gate spot for your arrival which is pretty cool but there was a lot of paperwork and walking to various offices to leave.

St Vincent - TVSV - Tricky airport to land and take off. Super nice customs agents. All the offices you need for flight plan, weather, ect is all in line so it's just a matter of walking out the door of one building and into the next.

Tobago - TTCP - Quiet little airport but the procedures for arriving and departure seem a little confusing at times. Smile and make a friend with one of the people working there and they will walk you though the maze.

Venezuela - SVMG - As someone has said you will need a Visa if you hold a US passport. Not a lengthy process, however, you will need to see the embassy or consulate in person. They will not give you the stamp otherwise. I had a friend come down last year and he was able to get the Visa the same day. Super Cheap Avgas. I fill my truck, 70 liters, for $.007 per tank and it only costs me $0.27 cents to fill it the entire year. Avgas is almost the same. Ok that is the upside. The downside is there is no toilet paper, milk, coffee, ect. Amazon is my friend and makes living here much easier. Also, if you plan on coming here be sure to have your plane parked on the middle west ramp and don't plan more than a day or two here. I paid the airport to install a security camera to watch my plane. One day a 727 was parked next to me (on purpose? :dunno:) and my complete avionics panel was removed, even the wet compass. What you hear in the news regarding the troubles with the country at the moment is mostly related to the mainland. The islands, Margarita and Los Roques, are absolutely beautiful. The people are really nice once you get to know them and there is no hostility towards Europeans or Americans. Speaking of Los Roques, if you plan to fly there be watchful of the winds. The runway in not that long and it has a nasty crosswind at times. Two days ago a Cessna 210 ate it on landing.

Aruba - TNCA - Do yourself a favor and study the airline arrival and departure times and plan to arrive off peak. The GA ramp is on the other side of the runway, away from the terminal. They come with a passenger bus to pick you up and drop you off. If the airlines are arriving plan on camping out at the plane since they won't come and get you until they have finished with the airlines first. Also, I would order fuel when you arrive so that is done and won't delay you for departure.

Dominican Republic - MDPP - Pretty easy in and out process, however, cash was/is the only form of payment for everything. Expect to get the gringo exchange rate. The plane will be safe for short periods but personally I would limited your time there.

I read someone here mentioned to bring a lot of cash. You will need cash in 50% of the places but I wouldn't bring that much with you. You are only asking for trouble. Inward fees and tourist visas are pretty cheap in most places. It's the leaving part that can get expensive. I would find out what all the costs would be for my stay and then go to a bank and get local currency to pay the passenger, parking, weather, ATC and flight plan fees. It might cost you more in ATM fee's but It's just plain safer that way. Trust me!

Also consider renting a life raft. I took my open water sea survival training in Pensacola, FL when I flew my PC12 from Europe to the States and even though the water was "warm" in Florida you will get hypothermia in about 70-90 minutes. I would also have the liferaft in easy reach just in case of a water ditching during the longer over water segments.

Most of the trip will be VFR weather, however, I would file IFR flight plans since it will make your life easier for arrival notification requirements.

If you need more information, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you. Good luck and have fun.

Oh and if you do head to Margarita bring some Paper Towels. I'm running low :goofy:

You couldn't pay me enough to go to Venezuela.

Dominican Republic - MDPP - Pretty easy in and out process, however, cash was/is the only form of payment for everything. Expect to get the gringo exchange rate. The plane will be safe for short periods but personally I would limited your time there.

Great list.

I'd pay good money to have you give that frank report about DR to the ever-present DR booth in the hangars at OSH every year. Those folks push coming there via GA really really hard at that booth, hand out bags and all sorts of swag every year.

You couldn't pay me enough to go to Venezuela.

You could pay me. Where is the fund being collected? Really, I'd only need a few hundred bucks to tip the scales enough to make the trip.

You could pay me. Where is the fund being collected? Really, I'd only need a few hundred bucks to tip the scales enough to make the trip.

Oh heck yeah. Can I get in on this?

Make sure to bring toilet paper and paper towels. Those items are are almost better than cash down here at the moment. :goofy:

Just came back from town for my weekly grocery run and the bill came up to $7 for a weeks worth of food. It doesn't get much cheaper than this in the world.

I save a ton of money living here so I can afford the outrageous fuel prices in the states. :yes:

Make sure to bring toilet paper and paper towels. Those items are are almost better than cash down here at the moment. :goofy:

So you're telling me that a 172 full of TP will make me a wealthy man...

I'm in!

(now I just have to reread the thread about taking seats out...)

So you're telling me that a 172 full of TP will make me a wealthy man...

I'm in!

(now I just have to reread the thread about taking seats out...)

Nah, what they really need over there is all natural organic fertilizer so load 'er up.

Back