Do you run?

infotango

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rob!
Since the golfers are having their field day, I was curious to know if anybody on here runs, and what their times/weekly mileages are like.

I used to be a college runner mostly middle distance and cross country, and I still try to run about four miles a day. Today my focus is much more on calisthenics, which I think are healthier and more fun that running strictly for times, besides I'm far too lazy to bother getting back into competition shape to beat my old times.
What do you do?

I did - for years and years (and starting when I was 13 or so) but it was really bad on my knees. I haven't run in years. For a long time I ice skated weekly and also rode my bike 3-4 times a week. Now, I just go for a daily walk and to be honest since coming back from vacation I've been so busy at work (not to mention it's too bloody hot) I haven't done much of that either. (I figure the 10 hour daily walks on vacation had to count for something).

That has to end soon however since let's face it - it's all about lifestyle. Letting yourself get out of the exercise habit is baaaaaaaaaaad.

one thing for sure - suburbs can be hell for an exercise program. My subdivision is only so big and there are no options for leaving it and walking on the main road. At least when I lived closer to town I had unlimited sidewalk options not to mention a nice walking/bike path along the river.

I used to be competitive in half marathons and 10K's. Last one I competed in was the Run the Rockies at Copper Mountain. What a blast! I used to pace around 8 minutes per mile in the half, and around 6 and a half in the 10K. 10K was always my better event.

I was diagnosed with a weird degenerative osteoarthritis in my right knee last December and now I can't even do a slow jog without a limp. They are considering whether to throw me out of law enforcement. I guess I ran a few miles too far.

On that bright note...now I bicycle. But damn I miss running :)

Last edited:
Yes, I run. I have run 32 marathons (26.2 miles) and one 50 km (31 miles). It is something that I have done for over thirty years. There have been 27 consecutive Tallahassee Marathons. - Mike

Wow! I don't have 32 under my belt, only 10. But 6 of those involved a little swimming and riding before. ;)

Last edited:
I ran a 5K last summer. finished last.

Sam, the running club I belong to has a "Triathlete" section. Those folks are something else! - Mike

I had a spinning instructor once who completed a triathlon despite a broken ankle. he just taped it up.

oh yeah, he broke it a few days before the race.

indoor biking. you are on a stationary bike in a class of about 15 other people and a drill sergeant at the front whips your butt. (while spinning too).

I jump to conclusions and take leaps of faith almost daily.

I only run is someone is chasing me.

LOL! That reminds me of an old Richard Pryor bit. "If somebody pulls a knife on you, and all you can pull is a hand with some skin on it, common sense tells you to RUN! And teach your old lady how to run so you don't have to go back and get her a$$!"

I used to run a little years ago, but unfortunately a boating mishap 5 years ago left me with a shattered left kneecap. So the only running I do any more is to the hardware store or to the Strike Zone.

I'm what you might call a TRYathlete.

I used to run some about 20 years ago. I ran quite a few 5K, 10K, and 15K events with splits between 6:00 and 6:30. I weighed 165 then and was running about 60 miles / week. Then my left knee blew out and that pretty much ended that.

Now, at almost 220 lbs, I'm trying to get started running again. My goal is to run (no, make that "finish") a marathon before I turn 50. I've got a 15K run planned in October with an eye toward the Nashville marathon in April of next year. My knees won't let me start training until I drop below 200 lbs, so for now it's a lot of walking, the elliptical machine (Satan’s treadmill), and a pretty strict diet including no alcohol. God, no wonder I’m so grumpy lately!

Getting started again is really tough for me. Age, diet, and lack of real physical activity have caught up with me and I have to work three times as hard as I used to in order to get half the benefit. The mental part of getting started will be much more difficult than it used to be, and unfortunately, as anyone who knows me will verify, my mental capacity seems to have peaked several years ago.

So any encouraging words from you runners (Mike, Sam, Rob, Richard, etc) are most welcome. Email or PM. I have a plan of attack, so if someone will just bring me a beer I can get started!

In 1978 I ran the 440 (YES THAT IS YARDS!) in 51.8 sec, the 220 in 22.3, and the 100 in 10.3. I think I can run 100 yards now:goofy: Back then I weight in at 165 now I'm 200. I could sure use that 35 lbs in payload on a hot day with no wind:eek:

The last time I ran I was carrying an M-16, there was sand everywhere and the Iraqies were surrendering in droves.

I try to do 3-4 6+ milers a week. Keeps the weight off, cause I tend to be a calorie hog.

I used to run some about 20 years ago. I ran quite a few 5K, 10K, and 15K events with splits between 6:00 and 6:30. I weighed 165 then and was running about 60 miles / week. Then my left knee blew out and that pretty much ended that.

Now, at almost 220 lbs, I'm trying to get started running again. My goal is to run (no, make that "finish") a marathon before I turn 50. I've got a 15K run planned in October with an eye toward the Nashville marathon in April of next year. My knees won't let me start training until I drop below 200 lbs, so for now it's a lot of walking, the elliptical machine (Satan’s treadmill), and a pretty strict diet including no alcohol. God, no wonder I’m so grumpy lately!

Getting started again is really tough for me. Age, diet, and lack of real physical activity have caught up with me and I have to work three times as hard as I used to in order to get half the benefit. The mental part of getting started will be much more difficult than it used to be, and unfortunately, as anyone who knows me will verify, my mental capacity seems to have peaked several years ago.

So any encouraging words from you runners (Mike, Sam, Rob, Richard, etc) are most welcome. Email or PM. I have a plan of attack, so if someone will just bring me a beer I can get started!

Getting started will be tough, but if you're consistent, you will see great improvements -- and that's the fun part. Don't forget the weight room. I had a friend who thought he could never run because of his knees. He built up some strength and know he's winning triathlons (he was over 200). Also, don't make huge sacrifices that will make your race a "one and done" kind of thing. Much better to make incremental changes you can stick with. Good luck!

Sam

P.S. When you do start running and test the knees. Go for frequency first over volume.

I got into running two years ago and found that it was the first form of exercise that I really enjoyed and I didn't have to force myself to get out there and do it. In the next year I worked my way up to running 3 -5 miles three times a week. I ran 4 5Ks in 05 and 06. Unfortunately last year too many other priorities interfered and I got out the habit and out of shape. I really miss it though. I need to get back into it.

I run...but not in the "I run 20K marathons" or anything. I work out at least three times a week and I try to throw in a 20-30 minute jog every time. My wife jogs a lot too. We do it to stay healthy and try to keep our bodies from looking like bloated marshmallow people! :D

Since the golfers are having their field day, I was curious to know if anybody on here runs, and what their times/weekly mileages are like.

What do you do?

Never ran a bit until I went into OCS after college, then we had to do our morning runs, and I just kept up with it afterwards. As far as exercise goes, all you need are some good shoes and a little time.

I've done a few 5 and 10k's, did a half marathon, and did the Marine Corps Marathon in DC in '92, ran a 3:31, and haven't run competitively since. Of course I was 165 then, and am now 195. Back during those times, my daily lunch run was 4 miles of pretty hilly terrain, and we regurlary came in right around 24min, so 6min/mi pace.

These days, I just run to try and keep the weight from going above 195, and am happy with my daily lunch run of 4 miles coming in at 32min or a bit less. Eight minute miles is slow, but I can accept it.

Just keep plugging, nothing else you can really do. I just absolutely HATE it when I have to stop running and then try to get going again. As you say, getting started again hurts worse as we age.

I was playing with my 4 year old last year on one of those gerbil tube like play things you can climb all thru, and somehow pulled a hamstring...BAD. It absolutely seemed to refuse to heal, each time it felt good, I was hobbling after 1/2 mile of running. I stayed off of it for 9 months, and it finally healed, but I thought getting started again was going to kill me.

You just have to persevere, and I know you can do that...just suck it up, tough it out, and it WILL get better. The link above by nav8tor looks like a good program to get started.

Better yet is not to stop, due to schedules I didn't run at all last week, can't today, so tomorrows lunch run is going to suck bigtime. But, Wednesday will be a little better, and Thursday better than that...

Keep plugging.

Eight minute miles is slow, but I can accept it.

That's a pretty good pace.

I tell people I do it to stay in shape, but it's really the endorphins. Last year was the first time I ran competitively...a 1/2 marathon (2:18...it was mostly uphill :D) and a 10k (54 min.). Oh, and I won a doorprize at the 10k.

I'm considering a 1/2 marathon for this fall. I'd like to get it under 2hrs.

Petra

I was going to PM you, but there isn't really anything too private about my advice.;)
Starting running after a long hiatus takes more than just an additional bit of time but also a bit of a lifestyle adjustment. I usually find that when I would come back from annual month long mandated breaks from running I really needed to start thinking about getting more sleep, and timing my schedule and diet around a balanced athlete's diet. It sounds like you are already following that bit, which is great!
There is nothing to be said for the first few weeks of running; they will be hellish. Your body will not want to start adding work where before there was none, and each run is going to feel exhausting, and probably embarrasing if you are like me, and need to walk for a bit.
I know that you are currently just walking, but the walking is a fantastic way to ease into the shock that running will provide the body. Try to keep up a brisk pace, and increase your millage steadily.
I love walking and I have 4 miles of walking each day to and from classes, and on the days where I don't run I know that I'm at least getting some exercise. Obviously walking for transportation is a little easier in Manhattan than it is elsewhere.
After you get comfortable walking a certain distance say six miles you will probably be at your weight target, and can start throwing in running, I'd start with 2.5 and run as much of it as you can and walk the rest. The beauty of walking is that you will already have a time in your day which you set aside for exercise, so the mental hurdle will be that much lower!
What you are attempting to do is by no means impossible, and should be very doable.
Feel free to ask more questions!

Yes, I run. I have run 32 marathons (26.2 miles) and one 50 km (31 miles). It is something that I have done for over thirty years. There have been 27 consecutive Tallahassee Marathons. Rob, I see you are in New York City. I ran the NYC Marathon in 1991. - Mike
That's an ungodly number of marathons!
Many of my former team mates have run in marathons, although I must say I've never been tempted. We used to do 18 mile long runs in college and that was quite enough running for me, thank you very much! I just really don't see myself getting too into it, and I really would hate to do it just to be able to say "I ran a marathon."
I've always had inordinate amounts of respect for the people that keep running the things, and for the people that manage to throw 2 miles of swimming and 100 miles of bike riding on top of the marathon's misery.

I had to run in high school while playing ball. Well, I guess I didn't have to, but to stay on the teams I had to. I hated every minute of it. No running for me now, nope, none. I am impressed though with all of you that keep it up. Marathons.............no way. Ya'll have more will power than I do.

Thought I'd bump this thread with an update about, what else?... ME!

I just finished my 10th week of the "new me" program, and capped it with a 10K this morning. It was really, really slow but it was good to accomplish it. (I finished 19th out of 20 in my age group)

I'm running about 20 miles / week. Next week I start in the weight room. My sugar consumption is way, way down and I haven't had a beer or any fast food since June. So far I'm down 24 lbs and have about 8 more to go. A bad cold last week hurt my exercise and cost me a pound or two, but I'm back now.

Any tips on speeding up? I'm running in the low 9's and would really like to run in the high 7's. I thought I'd start interval training next week. I've sort of found a comfort zone and can't seem to increase the pace to get out of it. My wife says my problems are my typical ones, unreasonable expectations and no patience. Whatever. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Good job!

Intervals and hill training speed me up. Tempo runs are supposed to help too, but I haven't played that way as much as I should.

Be careful about over-training and opening yourself up to injury. (This from a lazy person who doesn't run much in July and August and am just getting back up to 20m/wk myself.)

Nice to see this thread back...a coincidence...

After more than a year since my knee injury I have started to run again last week, without pain. Keeping it short and light, and absolutely no pavement. My knee doc would be scandalized to know I'm doing it at all. I know that I won't ever compete again but it is nice to get in the groove again, even if it is for only a couple miles.

Any tips on speeding up? I'm running in the low 9's and would really like to run in the high 7's. I thought I'd start interval training next week. I've sort of found a comfort zone and can't seem to increase the pace to get out of it.

Interval training can really help, we used to do them at a track. Also, sometimes, if I know the geographic landmarks on my run, I might run the first 1/2 mile at normal pace, then push myself for another 1/2 mile, then drop back for the rest of the run. Keep pushing the faster pace portion further and further into the run.

Yes, speeding up sucks, getting older sucks. Biggest thing, don't stop. I HATE layoffs for whatever reason, and the older I get, the more it hurts to start back up.

Hearing of your results, I now need to start pushing harder and drop some pounds...

The new Chip, eh?

My sugar consumption is way, way down and I haven't had a beer or any fast food since June. So far I'm down 24 lbs and have about 8 more to go. A bad cold last week hurt my exercise and cost me a pound or two, but I'm back now.
Good for you, dude! Last night I chased a bunch of 8 year olds around the bases a few times. Does that count? I did manage to outrun the other coaches as well. (Yes, it's baseball season again here in the south.)

I used to love running. I keep planning to pick it up again. Apparently my plans never seem to include provisions for actually executing said plan. :(

Good for you, dude! Last night I chased a bunch of 8 year olds around the bases a few times. Does that count? I did manage to outrun the other coaches as well. (Yes, it's baseball season again here in the south.)

I used to love running. I keep planning to pick it up again. Apparently my plans never seem to include provisions for actually executing said plan. :(

Sure, it counts. But only if you throw an hour of BP too. :rofl:

As your muscles tire, they become more adaptable to training stress. That means you have to push yourself harder the more tired you get. Otherwise you'll just be training your muscles to move slowly.

I just finished my 10th week of the "new me" program, and capped it with a 10K this morning. It was really, really slow but it was good to accomplish it. (I finished 19th out of 20 in my age group)

I'm running about 20 miles / week. Next week I start in the weight room. My sugar consumption is way, way down and I haven't had a beer or any fast food since June. So far I'm down 24 lbs and have about 8 more to go. A bad cold last week hurt my exercise and cost me a pound or two, but I'm back now.

Holy cow Chip! You were in darn good shape to begin with, frankly better than the majority of the rest of us! :yes:

Good on ya for making the commitment to be even better and staying healthy. I see many easily-passed medicals in your future. :yes:

I hate intervals.
I HATE intervals.
I HATE intervals.
I HATE intervals!

If I'd had the energy today I would have called 9-1-1.

Back