Flying Clubs in ATL

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Hey guys,

Long time no-see!

I'm headed down to Atlanta full-time after college and wanted to know if any of you have recommendations for finding a pilot home. I love my current situation in PIT where I'm in a club that lets me fly whenever I want, any time of day, and schedule any of 6 planes (they're never all taken).

I found this flying club, which looks like it might be a good match, but would love to hear any local knowledge on clubs, or even just great FBOs to rent from.

Thanks!

--Eric

I hadn't heard about that one, Wayne. Thanks. I'll pass it around.

Hey guys,

Long time no-see!

I'm headed down to Atlanta full-time after college and wanted to know if any of you have recommendations for finding a pilot home. I love my current situation in PIT where I'm in a club that lets me fly whenever I want, any time of day, and schedule any of 6 planes (they're never all taken).

I found this flying club, which looks like it might be a good match, but would love to hear any local knowledge on clubs, or even just great FBOs to rent from.

Thanks!

--Eric

You haven't said where you are going to be living. Atlanta is a big city and distance to the airplanes would certainly affect your choice.

The AeroVenture group, flylzu.com, is run by one of my BOD members in the EAA chapter. The 172 had an engine overhaul and paint job recently. John Post was the primary CFI for a friend of mine last year and is in the club he also did the IR work with one the partners in my Warrior. Not sure how many members they have at this point or how much the planes fly.

John also has a Bonanza club that is at PDK. It is quite costly to get into and to fly with. Don't know the details, but somewhere around $50k to buy in.

You haven't said where you are going to be living. Atlanta is a big city and distance to the airplanes would certainly affect your choice.

The AeroVenture group, flylzu.com, is run by one of my BOD members in the EAA chapter. The 172 had an engine overhaul and paint job recently. John Post was the primary CFI for a friend of mine last year and is in the club he also did the IR work with one the partners in my Warrior. Not sure how many members they have at this point or how much the planes fly.

John also has a Bonanza club that is at PDK. It is quite costly to get into and to fly with. Don't know the details, but somewhere around $50k to buy in.

I'll be living downtown most likely (Va Highlands, Midtown, or Buckhead). Definitely don't want a big buy-in since I may be leaving in 2 or so years (management consulting position where most people only stay a few years max).

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Edit: lzu looks cool, but I can't really fit in a 152, let alone a J3!

I don't know of any other flying clubs, but are you interested in a partnership (1/5th)? It is a Grumman Tiger based at PDK.

I don't know of any other flying clubs, but are you interested in a partnership (1/5th)? It is a Grumman Tiger based at PDK.

Partnership probably isn't the way to go for me since I'll be in ATL for as little as 2 years and don't want the hassle of selling.

Dobbins used to have a Navy Flying Club, but I think the Navy closed their part of the base. Don't know if the club is still there. Maybe it is. Of course you'd have to eligible for membership if it is.

The Georgia Tech Flying Club is at PDK. Don't know of they allow no GA Tech related folks or not. I can probably find out.

Looks like it is not an option.........http://www.yjfc.org/

Last edited:
Dobbins used to have a Navy Flying Club, but I think the Navy closed their part of the base. Don't know if the club is still there. Maybe it is. Of course you'd have to eligible for membership if it is.

No, they got booted out of Dobbins many years ago. They moved to Fulton County (FTY) and renamed as Fulton Aviation. Then they were open to the public. It was a well run, low price outfit. No cheery office lady with no aviation experience or any such overhead. Run by the club. Unfortunately it closed a few years ago.

Back