Taxiway distance

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
So I've been playing around with some latitude/longitude calcs this morning but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I landed at KPGD, runway 33 and made the G taxiway with a short-field landing (wanted to hit up the self-serve fuel pumps). I was quite pleased with myself at doing that, but I wanted to see how far the actual distance was from threshold to G.

There is no displaced threshold so it's truly from the end of the runway.

Was wondering if any of you math whizzes could help me out heh..been a while since I tried figuring this out.

Looking at the Aerial photo it looks to be just a tad under 1000', the threshold to the beginning of the fixed distance marker is 1000'.

Ah thanks Jose and Ron. I put down just past the numbers so about a 500-600 ft landing which would be right at the tip of the performance curve for landing distance according to the POH.

Glad I didn't have to do "math"...lol

EDIT: Added some pictures, red circle is where the fuel pump is, definitely didn't want to taxi half the runway to get to C. Also, had a Commander right behind me wanting to land long.

Gotta love those "pop up" challenges :)

Last edited:
Land at PGD quite often,never worried about what taxi way I was using,good job,will give it a try next time.

I always like this website:
https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

I also like PGD... The fuel is cheap and the controllers are pretty good (although I had one get confused at night with 2 big boys on final and he tried to squeeze me in between the two with not nearly enough room). The FBO leaves a lot to be desired with their over-the-top security theater that is a joke.

Google Earth's measurement function is really good for this as well. I'll take some measurements at my home airport to practice T/O and landing at more challenging fields.

If you can deal with a little less precision, remember standard FAA runway centerline striping is 120' stripe and 80' gap in between.

You guys do really easy stuff the hard way.

The taxi diagram has a lat/lon grid. Each of those minor latitude marks is 550 feet (0.1'). You have a ruler right there and don't need to go anywhere else to "calculate" or "measure" it.

One minute of latitude is one nautical mile. Learn that and your sectional will be a lot easier to use, too.

And centerline stripes are 200 feet from the start of one stripe to the start of the next.

And the TDZ marker just past that taxiway is at 1000 feet, along with the PAPI. This is a runway marking standard.

No need to go to a toy product (that's what Google products are -- they are rated by "coolness") to measure something that already has real rulers intended for the purpose.

Last edited:
Back