IFR finish up in Dallas

aggie06

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aggie
I'm frustrated with the flying club I'm in. The airplanes are hardly ever available for more than 2 hours, except at night. I've been plugging away with night IFR training just for convenience (last 10 hours has been night simulated IFR), but can only do that with a CFI since I have a restriction on my medical. While I have explained to my current CFI that I am comfortable paying for him to sit there as an expensive safety pilot, he doesn't want to do that for some reason. We can debate the wisdom of his decision, but really I just want to get this thing knocked out.

Since I'm only about 10 hours away from checkride, I was hoping there was another way to get this thing finished. I have already done the instrument XC, so it's just a bunch of simulated IFR yet to do. I either need an instructor with a plane that is willing to spend a few long days flying or a program specific to my situation. Safety pilots with club airplanes has been impossible because of availability and my medical.

If there's some other way I'm not thinking about, I'm open to it. Like I said, I'm getting pretty frustrated with this flying club (beyond just the aircraft to member ratio), so my own plane is on the horizon, but the instrument rating is the first step.

What part of the Metroplex are you at?

What aircraft have you been training in?

Based on answers to that, I/we might have some ideas of who you should go talk to.

I live in Dallas (15 minutes from KADS) but have been flying out of KTKI in a 172.

Thanks Ryan. I never gave your safety pilot a call because of the difficulties getting an airplane during the day. I actually haven't been able to fly during the day since January 1.

Call Larry Ratlff, at ADS. 972-978-5245

I just got my instrument rating at American Flyers in Addison. Awesome flight school, one of the best in the area. I've heard good things about Slipstream as well but it's farther from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When your ready for your exam, I can highly recommend Dale Williamson as the DPE.

Something else about working with Dale Williamson....

Due to his popularity as an examiner, he's a pretty busy guy. Especially since he does lots of exams for students in the American Flyer's program at KADS.

So scheduling with him means a slot about 3-5 weeks out. The benefit though. It gives you a firm deadline to get your rear in gear and be 100% ready for it.

If you do use Dale, buy me dinner and I'll share with you the things he went over during my oral exam. Get these down and you'll be more comfortable during the process.

What about finding a school with a BATD or AATD?

Unfortunately, the ones around these parts that have those are the 141's busy teaching the foreign nationals and aren't terribly interested in us locals.

Schools are notorious for being out of available aircraft on gorgeous days like these.
If you think you can finish up your training in a weekend, come on down to Nuevo Kalyfornya (Austin) and I'll make you an offer you cannot refuse. :)

Lou, in a former life, you must have been one heck of a used wagon salesman.

Back