Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Happy Robert E. Lee's birthday!

Celebrate an admirable and honorable man, (regardless of the current attitudes from the fragile snowflake crowd).

We are classy here in Arkansas! We celebrate it on the same day as MLK. :yes:

I've always wanted to see a Robert E Lee parade following the MLK parade! :rofl:

I was disappointed, but not surprised that Google did not list it on their homepage as they did for MLK. BTW FWIW, I also admire MLK. I think that he would be saddened by the current state of things.

I love how idiots self identify. Belt buckles and flags waving from the truck...

Robert E Lee was a great citizen and soldier, and loyal to his state of Virginia (from a time when the US was viewed as a collection of sovereign states)...

I admire him most for his views on the confederate flag once the war was over... that it should be taken down and put away, and relegated to history.

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee
One of my favorite quotes.

We are classy here in Arkansas! We celebrate it on the same day as MLK. :yes:

I've always wanted to see a Robert E Lee parade following the MLK parade! :rofl:

When I moved to Virginia they had a consolidated "Lee-Jackson-King" day. Apparently "Lee-Jackson" day existed before the King observance. A few years after I moved they moved "Lee-Jackson" back to be a distinct holiday from MLK's birthday.

Robert E Lee was a great citizen and soldier, and loyal to his state of Virginia (from a time when the US was viewed as a collection of sovereign states)...

I admire him most for his views on the confederate flag once the war was over... that it should be taken down and put away, and relegated to history.

:yes:

I love how idiots self identify. Belt buckles and flags waving from the truck...

Abraham Lincoln asked General Lee to be the first commander of the Union armies. You were right about idiots self identifying, you've managed to identify yourself clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abraham Lincoln asked General Lee to be the first commander of the Union armies. You were right about idiots self identifying, you've managed to identify yourself clearly.

Just about every Confederate military leader was a union officer prior to the hostilities breaking out. Some followed their homeland, some didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, you seem to have identified yourself. You see, I've not said a word against Gen. Lee so your little triva wasn't needed. To you yokles who think I'm an idiot my IQ has been tested north of 160. Not bragging, just a fact.

Tell you what, boys. It's hard to visit Gettysburg and not leave with a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye, for North, South and the country as a whole.

Higly recommend it.

To you yokles who think I'm an idiot my IQ has been tested north of 160. Not bragging, just a fact.

incoming.jpg

Lol, you seem to have identified yourself. You see, I've not said a word against Gen. Lee so your little triva wasn't needed. To you yokles who think I'm an idiot my IQ has been tested north of 160. Not bragging, just a fact.

lvpv801nscy0fzl1kogr.jpg

A 160+ IQ would put you among the most intelligent people who've ever lived. I'd say you're wasting your talents.

Just goes to show that a high IQ score can be like a broken clock.

I kind of like Lee. Not sure I'd go so far as to consider him either notably honorable or admirable, though.

Happy belated birthday General Lee -- although you made some very bad choices, you never shirked responsibility. If you had either a) accepted Lincoln's commission or b) strongly supported Reconstruction, you would be a great hero.

4361097.jpg

In your attempt to denigrate those that disagree with you and proclaim your own greatness, you managed to misspell both "yokel" and "trivia".

Greatness isn't announced, it's made obvious by its own acts. What you are announcing and what is being made obvious are diametrically opposed to each other.

Rich White Pilots of America...

That the new name for the site?

. . .300,000 Yankess lie stiff in Southern dust; we killed 300,000 before they conquered us. They died of Southern fever, of Southern steel and shot, but I wish we got three million, instead of what we got. . .

That was one gruesome war, and it slaughtered the flower of American manhood across two generations, something 700,000 or more. Freakin' ghastly. I heard Lee said the greatest regret of his life was taking a military education.

When I was a little kid, late 1950s, living in SW Virginia, the war of northern agression was freash, real, and had the immediacy of recent events - people were around who had fathers, granfathers, etc. who fought in it.

I will never understand the worship of a group of men who tried to destroy the United States in order to keep slaves. Sickening.

Last edited:
I will never understand the worship of a group of men who tried to destroy the United States in order to keep slaves. Sickening.

Given that Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, clearly that was deeply entrenched in the culture at the time. So yes, from our perspective today it is "sickening", but if you use today's standards to judge historical figures, your hero list will be very short, if not empty.

Please, go do some research and read actual history. A comment such as that just shows how clueless you are in regards to history.

Given that Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, clearly that was deeply entrenched in the culture at the time. So yes, from our perspective today it is "sickening", but if you use today's standards to judge historical figures, your hero list will be very short, if not empty.

1) Washington supported the elimination of slavery, but apparently felt that he couldn't unilaterally disarm and still run a business. Jefferson knew it was wrong "Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever". Jefferson was instrumental in banning slave imports to Virginia. As President he banned international slave trading. But, yeah, I agree that we need to look at the totality of a persons life, not just the stuff that is convenient to hero worship.

2) Washington died 60 years prior to the civil war. By the time the civil war came around there was no longer any excuse to support slavery.

3) Most importantly, I'm commenting about people *today* who still worship at the feet of those who were so clearly, then and now, morally in the wrong. Even if we partially excuse some of the traitors by saying things like "oh, it's how they were raised" or "they didn't know better" the people *today* absolutely do know better and still fly the flag and worship traitors who were willing to destroy the country to keep humans as property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back