Food/fuel stop between Orlando and Norfolk VA?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Any recommendations for a relatively quick food stop between Orlando and Norfolk? Any airport cafe's along the way?

Planning on picking up the Twin Beech this weekend and looking for a relatively quick place to stop along the way.

Unfortunately, the Pig won't work (too small).

There are a number of cheap fuel (sub $4.00) in the coastal NC area (SUT, CPC, MYR). Don't know of any with on-field food, but there's tons around these places. Courtesy cards are usually available.

KCPC is usually the cheapest fuel in southeast NC, but not sure of courtesy car availability, and no food in walking distance. KSUT is a little higher on gas, but cars are available and lots of dining nearby with lots of ramp space. Haven't been to KCRE recently, usually a little higher on gas than KSUT and don't know the car situation. If I wasn't leaving town Saturday morning I could help with transportation at KSUT, but have to be in Dallas for the next week.

KGMU (Greenville Downtown) has a good restaurant on the field. Self serve fuel is at 4.75 so isn't the cheapest around.

KEXX may be another option. There is a decent BBQ joint a couple miles from the airport. I am sure they will let you use the airport car to grab a bite to eat.

I recommend SUT.. i've been making $100 fish sandwich trips there for years and they have always had a crew car available. You can drive about 8 minutes to downtown southport, or about 3 minutes to the dead end saloon / fish factory grill which is a bar/grill overlooking a marina.

I recommend calling any place you go this time of year to make sure its not closed for the season. If the fish factory place is closed, downtown will surely have some open restaurants.

GGE georgetown is another good one. Drive 10 mins into town and eat at Chacon's. Its been over a year since I made the trip, so you might want to call about a crew car.

Last edited:
And I hate to say it, but the weather might be pretty screwed up this weekend!

Kmyr has a new FBO ,crew car available for food. The gas is more than CPC. DPE has cheap fuel but no food in the area.

I recommend ARW, Beaufort, SC as a fuel stop. Steamer is a nice little seafood place that's a few minutes walk. Usually, there's a courtesy car, so it's even more convenient. If you score the car, there are a bunch of other places on the waterfront. I have clients in Orlando and make trip there from DC frequently and always stop at ARW. Be sure to bring home a Frogmore International Airport hat.

SSI (St. Simons Island) has 100LL at $4.05 and plenty of nearby eating spots. It's also the least "out of the way" stop you could make.

There is a very good BBQ place literally right across from the airport. Might be too short of a first leg, though.

On the good side, SSI has two strips of pavement, meaning you might have better crosswind options than other places.

yeah I second the Runway Cafe at GMU. not because I know a ton of other places along your route, but because they cook a pretty mean burger. and it'll keep you off the coast, which might be a good idea this weekend. there's also the 57 Alpha Cafe at KFQD (5000' I believe), tiny little place that's good for a bite to eat. when it's warm out the same guy who cooks plays the guitar on the patio.

KCRE/North Myrtle has cheap fuel and a crew car I have used a couple times. A few restaurants nearby and if you need to wait out the snow for a day you can probably find something to do in the area.

KSUT Food rocks.
KLBT Low gas prices...decent food. Call Todd and talk to him to arrange car.
KEYF Oscar will have Po-Lease car ready to take you to Melvin's or the Front Porch. Great gas prices.

KRBW, Walterboro, SC, Lowcountry Regional, cheap fuel, courtesy cars (2). Dukes BBQ a couple miles along with a bunch of other restaurants. Dukes open 11am to 2 pm on Sundays though.
100LL $3.95 self serve, Jet A $4.13
3 runways! ILS, GPS.

There is a very good BBQ place literally right across from the airport. Might be too short of a first leg, though.

On the good side, SSI has two strips of pavement, meaning you might have better crosswind options than other places.

Just be sure to stay out of the smoke. The pit is right outside the door and next to the outdoor eating area. You should like the smell because you're going to be smelling it until you can get a shower.

But the barbeque IS fantastic. A Triple-D spot if I remember correctly

Last edited:
KSUT Food rocks.
KLBT Low gas prices...decent food. Call Todd and talk to him to arrange car.
KEYF Oscar will have Po-Lease car ready to take you to Melvin's or the Front Porch. Great gas prices.

Front Porch is gone though, now a Mexican restaurant. Melvin's is still good, especially for a quick stop.

Well I'll third the KGMU Runway Cafe recommendation. Of course it's my home field, but it might also keep you dry coming a bit west this weekend. I do wish fuel were cheaper here though.

I'm based at KSUT-- Deadend Saloon is the place on Fish factory road, its open and good for casual eats.

I recommend SUT.. i've been making $100 fish sandwich trips there for years and they have always had a crew car available. You can drive about 8 minutes to downtown southport, or about 3 minutes to the dead end saloon / fish factory grill which is a bar/grill overlooking a marina.

I recommend calling any place you go this time of year to make sure its not closed for the season. If the fish factory place is closed, downtown will surely have some open restaurants.

GGE georgetown is another good one. Drive 10 mins into town and eat at Chacon's. Its been over a year since I made the trip, so you might want to call about a crew car.

If you're following the coast up KSSI (St. Simons Island, Brunswick, GA) has a great FBO with friendly people and a block off the airport, not even 5 minute walking distance is one of the best BBQ's i've ever had called Southern Soul

well now that I went back and actually re-read the whole thread I see someone else already beat me to it! Well clearly I second their recommendation! :yes:

I'm based at KSUT-- Deadend Saloon is the place on Fish factory road, its open and good for casual eats.

KHRJ, great people, gas is $3.49. They'll give you the crew car to get food in town! It's my fuel stop between NJ and FL.

Its bad enough now that I am canceling my plans to drive this weekend.
We got what I think was the ONLY Southwest flight out of ORF that wasn't cancelled on Friday afternoon. Saturday weather was absolute crap, particularly for an airplane with no de-ice other than alcohol props.

We ended up flying the beast back non-stop yesterday (5 hrs).

Congrats on your new time machine...:yes:

However, I have to do this...

:needpics:

However, I have to do this...

:needpics:

Haven't taken many photos yet, but this was after we arrived at CPK

21e5e7df6d54efba156064c5d257ef87.jpg

Haven't taken many photos yet, but this was after we arrived at CPK

21e5e7df6d54efba156064c5d257ef87.jpg

Sweet looking plane...:nono: It looks like you found a good one... Enjoy it... I guess I'll have to come over and give it a close up look see...:goofy:

What were your numbers on the trip back???

What were your numbers on the trip back???
Looks like we were burning about 40 gph (20 per side) and making 150 KTAS at 5500. With the headwinds yesterday it was about 5 hrs from BOW to CPK including taxi time. Full fuel is around 7 hours in the air.

Back