Did my solo today!!!!

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Last week my CFI told me to study the pre-solo exam as he would give me the exam today before we flew. I took the exam and he said very good. Today when we go fly, we will do a few more stalls and then practice some landings. After our stalls, we did 6 landings together and each one was better then the next. The 6th landing I finally got the stall warning to sound as I gently touched the runway. My CFI asked if I felt I was ready. I said absolutely but only if he was willing to sign off. He has me pull over to the fbo to let him out and I asked if I could use the restroom first and then call my wife. When I came back there was an audience of 6 people. He said I'm getting in with you and we are doing one more pattern. I said ok and off we went. Greased the landing. He said pull over I'm getting out. Got the instructions to do three landings to full stop and off I went. First lap my radio calls were calmer and smoother then ever. There was no stress of having someone watch everything I did. It was the biggest relief I have felt in a while. Coming in for landing number 1 and again greased landing with stall warning at touchdown. CFI ran out jumping for joy giving me thumbs up and way to goes and sent me for Lap two. Everything great in the pattern but got a little distracted on landing as a car stopped on the road before the runway to watch me. Did not grease it but it was a good landing. Lesson learned, don't get too distracted. Another thumbs up and time for third lap. Uneventful and while no stall warning, a very nice feeling landing. Picked up my CFI and got applause from the people watching. What a great feeling. We then flew back to our home airport and made my last landing of the day that I feel was my best. It was an amazing day that I will never forget!!!!!

Last edited:
Heck of a feeling isn't it? It's the only thing you can only do once in flying basically. Congrats!

Very, very few people get to experience what you just did. It's amazing what we can do when we get out of our own way. Congratulations, you earned it.

Last week my CFI told me to study the pre-solo exam as he would give me the exam today before we flew. I took the exam and he said very good. Today when we go fly, we will do a few more stalls and then practice some landings. After our stalls, we did 6 landings together and each one was better then the next. The 6th landing I finally got the stall warning to sound as I gently touched the runway. My CFI asked if I felt I was ready. I said absolutely but only if he was willing to sign off. He has me pull over to the fbo to let him out and I asked if I could use the restroom first and then call my wife. When I came back there was an audience of 6 people. He said I'm getting in with you and we are doing one more pattern. I said ok and off we went. Greased the landing. He said pull over I'm getting out. Got the instructions to do three landings to full stop and off I went. First lap my radio calls were calmer and smoother then ever. There was no stress of having someone watch everything I did. It was the biggest relief I have felt in a while. Coming in for landing number 1 and again greased landing with stall warning at touchdown. CFI ran out jumping for joy giving me thumbs up and way to goes and sent me for Lap two. Everything great in the pattern but got a little distracted on landing as a car stopped on the road before the runway to watch me. Did not grease it but it was a good landing. Lesson learned, don't get too distracted. Another thumbs up and time for third lap. Uneventful and while no stall warning, a very nice feeling landing. Picked up my CFI and got applause from the people watching. What a great feeling. We then flew back to our home airport and made my last landing of the day that I feel was my best. It was an amazing day that I will never forget!!!!!

Congrats on the solo!

That is damn exciting to read!
Did you get it on the GoPro?

Congratulations!!

That is damn exciting to read!
Did you get it on the GoPro?

Congratulations!!

I have not ordered the GoPro, mount, and patch cable yet. Even if I did it would not have gotten here in time. Didn't think I would get to solo so quick after getting over my hurdles but glad I did, even if I didn't get to video it. Plenty of future flight to video, like my first x-country solo

Heck of a feeling isn't it? It's the only thing you can only do once in flying basically. Congrats!

No way. I did it three times, and each time felt more amazing than the last. :)

Congrats!!

You're one lesson ahead of me. Got my pre-solo test done today (signed off on that). He said next time up we'll do some stalls and landings and if all goes well he's outta there.

Exciting times :yesnod:

Congrats!!

You're one lesson ahead of me. Got my pre-solo test done today (signed off on that). He said next time up we'll do some stalls and landings and if all goes well he's outta there.

Exciting times :yesnod:

It's a great rush. Enjoy it and good luck!!!

Well done! Good for you. It's a really great feeling to know that you're finally at that point you've been waiting for- flying alone! It almost seems routine, yet unbelievably cool at the same time, right? And after a few hours it's almost impossible to believe you really did it. You only get to fly all alone for the very first time once in your life. Sure, you can fly a new type, a new category, even a new class of aircraft solo for the first time in that type, category, class, etc, but after your first solo you've already been there before. There's ONE first solo, and you just did it! Now get studying and start looking ahead to your cross country flights! (If you think that solo flight was cool, just wait til your solo cross country flights!)

Congratulations, a memory for a lifetime.

Congrats. Now time for the hard part. Cross country planning and night flight.

Congratulations on the solo! I still remember mine. What a great feeling! :)

And don't worry about this, it gets easier with practice.

Yup.. Out of all the certificates and ratings, the solo is the most memorable. By far.
Congratulations!

Congratulations. Definitely a nice write up as well!

Greased my first solo landing as well. Was a great feeling!

Car stopping to watch? Sounds familiar. Short of one of our runways is a road that curves around the threshold and folks stop all the time. I just hate when box trucks come out of the trees and you're not expecting them ;-)

Congrats!

Back