Thoughts on videogames

falconkidding

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Falcon Kidding
Since the average age of you geezers pilots is about 98 years old:stirpot: just curious what you think of them. Do you play them? See them as a waste of time? Interested in playing them?

Me I love playing them online. Its cheap fun competitive and infinitely dynamic, but I don't really care for "campaign, story or you vs the AI kind of stuff.
Its understandable how it all looks like a bunch of nonsense but its one of those things the more you get into it the more interesting and in depth it becomes:yes:
I'm increasingly running into older folks who play and the average "gamer" age is approaching 40 so I think its well on its way from a thing for kids and seen as a legit hobby. I dare say soon your going to turn on ESPN one day and see LoL, Counterstrike, or Dota 2 up on screen. 32 million alone watched the LoL finals online so I think those numbers are surely attractive to TV execs.

Had an Atari 2600 and a Vectrex as a kid. Worked at an arcade and used to do MS Flight Sim back in the day. Not in the least bit interested in them these days. Guess I just grew out of them.

Well, I've been playing computer games since the eighties (actually since 1971 if you count the time I programmed the IBM 1120 at school to pay three dimensional tic tac toe with the operator) but I do consider them a vice and, like any vice, to be taken only in moderation. Currently I'm not playing any computer games and have not for a while except that I bought a Playstation 4 and a copy of Fallout 4 a month ago because I am a Fallout fan and I played them a bit until I bored of it and now both game and console are sitting on the counter waiting to be sold on eBay.

I love to play them, but it's been hard to find the time these days with a 2 year old. I'm currently making my way through Metal Gear Solid V, which has been pretty enjoyable so far. I used to play online all the time (Counter-Strike, etc...), but I find that I don't like online play now that I'm older (or maybe due to some other factor), and I prefer solo play via story/campaign/AI these days. Maybe I don't have the reflexes that I used to, and don't enjoy getting owned by 12 year olds.

Last edited:
I consider shooting the LPV or ILS to low minimums in IMC a video game, and love playing it. The only thing is, there is no "reset" button if you mess up...

Well, I've been playing computer games since the eighties (actually since 1971 if you count the time I programmed the IBM 1120 at school to pay three dimensional tic tac toe with the operator) but I do consider them a vice and, like any vice, to be taken only in moderation. Currently I'm not playing any computer games and have not for a while except that I bought a Playstation 4 and a copy of Fallout 4 a month ago because I am a Fallout fan and I played them a bit until I bored of it and now both game and console are sitting on the counter waiting to be sold on eBay.
Yeah I tried fallout 4 didn't get into it as much as the others maybe cause the mod kit isn't out yet so no ones made anything interesting for it. My parents always considered it a vice so got limited to an hour a day on the old nintendo 64. Nowdays I play a lot more. I only work 48 hours a week and no kids so tons of freetime in the winter since the runway is too soggy to fly and to cold to ride the motorcycle.

I dunno, I never really got into it. We had the original Nintendo as a kid (born in '83) and we played it a decent amount but we spent more time playing outside to be honest. I didn't really play any more until college when the PS2 and Gran Tourismo became big. After we got as far as we could with that, I lost interest. Never owned a gaming system since that original Nintendo and don't intend to. I've got plenty to occupy my time with adult soccer/baseball and home projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lady I eventually married and I met as a result of both playing Everquest, where we found out we lived in the same city.

As one of the 98-year-olds, I didn't enjoy playing video games even in their very primitive forms. I knew CS majors back in college who loved that kind of stuff; the Steve Jobs/Bill Gates generation.

The lady I eventually married and I met as a result of both playing Everquest, where we found out we lived in the same city.

Nice I have a buddy at Coke who met his wife through WoW. I played WoW for a few years left when the PVP balance went to hell. EQ was right before I got into some MMOs though so never got into it.

Nice I have a buddy at Coke who met his wife through WoW. I played WoW for a few years left when the PVP balance went to hell. EQ was right before I got into some MMOs though so never got into it.

Young kids today don't know how good they have it!

Young kids today don't know how good they have it!

No kidding. You haven't lived until you are standing in an open field west of a white house with a boarded up door and a small mailbox nearby. And then later be in a dark place and likely to be eaten by a grue.

No kidding. You haven't lived until you are standing in an open field west of a white house with a boarded up door and a small mailbox nearby. And then later be in a dark place and likely to be eaten by a grue.

You feel lucky. Full moon tonight.

I was a young adult when Pong came out. When we got it hooked up to the Tv, we stayed up all night playing it. The second week we would get off work, sleep for about an hour, then up and back at it.

Pong! :yes:

Played that a lot back then black and white.

I'm 35 and play occasionally. Skyrim works on Linux(!), and I play to unwind some in the evenings.

When the arcade version of pong came out in the early 1970s they put one in the bar where I used to hang out. That bar was the local gambling hub and we would play pong for $5 a game.

The first video game I played was pong (or the equivalent of same) on a Magnavox Odyssey. Now I'm probably the oldest guy on the Splatoon ladder some evenings ;)

Nauga,
with old age and treachery

Puts a date on me to admit paying to play that game.

And who here remembers playing Rogue or Nethack on the university computer system. That was a pre-cursor to the LAN party for me. About 10-15 of us all in the same room with the DEC orange screens each playing our own game and a beer/pizza bet on who got the furthest by the end of the session.

No interest in video games. Years ago, I enjoyed Zork on the Apple II, but that was it.

I remember Wolfenstein on the ][.

I love video games and I use them to relax at the end of the day. My old roommates and I use to do LAN parties, especially during finals. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play much in the last few months since starting at the airlines. I'm a bit disappointed at myself for not doing any of my hobbies, especially my games.

I played Pong at home, thought it was amazing!! :yes: In high school 78-82 we had arcades as part of our weekend cruising around McDonalds! :D Galaga and Defender were my games of choice.:yes: My wife bought me a Galaga/Ms. Pacman stand up console game a few years ago for Christmas, the tube is bad now, but it was a blast while it lasted!

I like to play FIFA and GTA on my friend's Xbox but I don't have one or play too regularly.

I'm 35 and play occasionally. Skyrim works on Linux(!), and I play to unwind some in the evenings.

I used to play Skyrim on Linux like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.

I really need to stop replying to this thread.

"YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING. AROUND YOU IS A FOREST. A SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND DOWN A GULLY."

Long before there was video in a video game!

-Skip

"YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING. AROUND YOU IS A FOREST. A SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND DOWN A GULLY."

-Skip

> Look stream

Currently hooked on World of Warships, before that is was MechWarrior online.

I have always played PC games, never got into the gaming consol area.

Flav

Played all sorts of stuff from text adventures all the way up through a total addiction to early first person shooters, but it slowly died as a pastime. Atari, Apple II stuff, Tandy stuff, all that way back in the day. All the flight sims of course. Still have XPlane via Steam and never use it for anything really.

You have been eaten by a grue.

I played Pong, Minesweeper, MajJohngg, Solitaire, and even PacMan, but I thought the OP was referring to those story-type video games.

Later I enjoyed 'Frogger' and 'River Raid', I guess they were Atari? :dunno:

-Skip

My first gaming addiction was Dragonrealms, the text-based MMORPG. That was back when it was on AOL and you paid by the minute. Ouch.

It's still around.

Back