Get the colonscopy and my vent.

I would also prefer to die in bed, preferably a nonagenarian. Shot through the back by the jealous husband of the twenty-two year old in bed with me.

For those who haven't had one yet, a word of advice. They'll tell you that you can flavor the colon-blow to make it more palatable. I used margarita flavored Crystal Lite. It sounded like a good idea at the time but after drinking a gallon of margarita flavored anything....

I haven't had a margarita since and that was three years ago. :(

For those who haven't had one yet, a word of advice. They'll tell you that you can flavor the colon-blow to make it more palatable. I used margarita flavored Crystal Lite. It sounded like a good idea at the time but after drinking a gallon of margarita flavored anything....

20 or so years ago I had an upper GI test. The barium was strawberry flavored and tasted just like McDonald's strawberry milkshakes at the time. I tried one of those shakes not long after the test and could not get it down. Nasty! Never again!

David

Put me off Gatorade until I spent the day flying low altitude during a Georgia summer. After that I chugged the stuff.

Put me off Gatorade until I spent the day flying low altitude during a Georgia summer. After that I chugged the stuff.

I did the same thing. Two weeks after my last one I went to an outdoor shooting range on a hot August day with my daughter. She ran into the gun shop to pick up a couple of Gatorades and I didn't think and took a few swigs of the Lemon Lime. I thought I was going to heave.

It's not really the flavor, though. For me it's the consistency. It is like drinking soapy water filled with backwash.

Two hints: (1). make sure it's ice cold. (2). Drink it fast through a straw, so the slimy consistency doesn't slosh around your mouth. It's 1 cup every 15 minutes, so you should be able to get a cup down quickly.

Also , don't even think of puking when you're down around the 7th cup. You're almost there, and you don't want to show up with the prep not having done it's job, and having to do it over again.

I'm posting this as a big thank you. I had my 5th colonoscopy today and had it done without any sedation. I never would even have thought to ask if that were possible if it hadn't have been for this thread. The prep was just as nasty (and not being able to eat ANYTHING on Super Bowl Sunday was rough), but being able to walk out of there ready to go was wonderful.
The staff at the clinic were flabbergasted that I was declining the sedation, but nobody put up a fuss. Apparently it's quite rare there. The anesthesiologist was kind of whiny (no fee) which I thought was a little pathetic.
The doctor doing the procedure was surprised also, but was totally cool with the idea. Watching the exam play out in living color on the screen was quite interesting, and the doctor gave a running commentary. There was only one place where it was quite uncomfortable, like a pretty strong cramp, but it didn't last long. He grabbed one very small polyp to have checked and then I was done. I walked out and drove home. No amnesia, no sleepy, groggy after effects.
Do it!

My first one was like that, no sedation. Thought that was the way it was. Like you said, cool to watch on the screen the Doc's journey...lol. Last ones I've had have been sedated with no after effect. Never thought to ask about going without. Maybe I'll try next time.

I'm posting this as a big thank you. I had my 5th colonoscopy today and had it done without any sedation. I never would even have thought to ask if that were possible if it hadn't have been for this thread. The prep was just as nasty (and not being able to eat ANYTHING on Super Bowl Sunday was rough), but being able to walk out of there ready to go was wonderful.
The staff at the clinic were flabbergasted that I was declining the sedation, but nobody put up a fuss. Apparently it's quite rare there. The anesthesiologist was kind of whiny (no fee) which I thought was a little pathetic.
The doctor doing the procedure was surprised also, but was totally cool with the idea. Watching the exam play out in living color on the screen was quite interesting, and the doctor gave a running commentary. There was only one place where it was quite uncomfortable, like a pretty strong cramp, but it didn't last long. He grabbed one very small polyp to have checked and then I was done. I walked out and drove home. No amnesia, no sleepy, groggy after effects.
Do it!

Good on you. Glad it went well.

The experience sounded like my own: Other than that one tight curve, the rest was a breeze.

Rich

If it's clear, is the recommendation for a follow up still 5 years or has that changed ?

If it's clear, is the recommendation for a follow up still 5 years or has that changed ?

Depends on a few factors, one being family history. My Mom had colon cancer so I go every 5 years. Some go every 3 years. Not sure of any other times, but a medical site might have that info, such as WebMD.

I think it's a ten year interval if you have no risk factors (starting at 50 yrs).

Depends on a few factors, one being family history. My Mom had colon cancer so I go every 5 years. Some go every 3 years. Not sure of any other times, but a medical site might have that info, such as WebMD.

My wife had what their referred to as the "Rotisserie Chicken" ( use your imagination) to help try and find the cause of some Abdominal Pain and they found some benign polyps and although her family has no history in that area, she convinced them to get checked. Thankfully they were clear. I think she goes back in 3 years.

The way the doc explained it to me, the timing of the next colonoscopy is based on the interval within which two percent or fewer people with similar findings and risk factors will develop cancer.

The American Cancer Society recommendations can be found here.

Rich

The way the doc explained it to me, the timing of the next colonoscopy is based on the interval within which two percent or fewer people with similar findings and risk factors will develop cancer.

The American Cancer Society recommendations can be found here.

Rich

Thanks - interesting that they also listed sigmoidoscopy every 5. I thought they were more a "as required" procedure.

Do it!

I had one done many years ago as a 22 year old Army Corporal to see if I had intestine damage from a cyst. I watched the entire event as the pretty Army nurse did her thing. :redface: Stupid here rode my Harley Sportster the 75 miles to Heidelberg and then had to ride back.

They didn't even offer to sedate me.

Knowing that I was ok was priceless but it also taught me to ask question before subjecting myself to tests....

I had my first one last year (at 62 yrs old). I had a polyp (benign) removed and was told I had a little gastroenteritis for which I was given a medication. I was told to come back in 3 years.

Back